PDA

View Full Version : Freezing Pie...?

Pages : [1] 2

nubka
10-27-2010, 08:46 PM
The pumpkin pie thread made me think about this. How well do pies after freezing? I would like to go to Marie Callendar's and buy some pies ahead of time, (so I won't have to wait in line the day before Thanksgiving,) but if I bring them home and freeze them how will they thaw? I was was thinking of buying some pumpkin pies, and probably chocolate cream.

Maybe it isn't possible, and when thawing, it would be completely icky/mushy...? :(

dbny
10-27-2010, 08:50 PM
My pumpkin pies freeze and thaw just fine, but I can't speak for store-bought ones.

nubka
10-27-2010, 08:51 PM
My pumpkin pies freeze and thaw just fine, but I can't speak for store-bought ones.

How long does it take for one to thaw at room temp?

dbny
10-27-2010, 09:15 PM

Sorry, can't recall. I think I always took mine out of the freezer the night before, or sent them home with guests.

Aceon6
10-27-2010, 09:24 PM

IME, they get a bit watery if you quick thaw them. My s-i-l moves them to the fridge 2 days before and then takes them out about 4 hours before serving. She does pumpkin and pecan this way.

Coco
10-27-2010, 10:56 PM
A friend told me she bakes her apple pies, but takes them out about 10 minutes short. She lets them cool, then freezes them. To "thaw" them, she puts them in the oven - I'm assuming at the same temp she bakes them - for about 15 minutes.

Pretty genius, if it works!

taf2002
10-27-2010, 11:07 PM
I used to bake a homemade mincemeat for Thanksgiving. My Dad & I were about the only ones who liked it. I would then take 1/2 the pie & freeze it for Christmas. I would let it thaw in the fridge for 2 days or on the counter for one. I have frozen all kinds of pies & had no problems. As Aceon6 said, if they are mushy or watery you just pop them in the oven for 10 or 15 mins. You may have to put foil around the edges to prevent burning.

BTW, if you buy Marie Callender, they are already frozen so it's not like you're refreezing it.

dbny
10-27-2010, 11:10 PM
I used to bake a homemade mincemeat for Thanksgiving.

Did you make your own mincemeat? If so, I would love the recipe.

Skate Talker
10-28-2010, 12:18 AM
My aunt always freezes pies. She said the trick is to warm them up in a slow oven. We both had bought fresh pumpkin pie for Thanksgiving so since I was bringing the main course I let her contribute the dessert. Before freezing I pre-cut it and put a bit of Saran between cut edges to make sure they didn't freeze together then just brought one piece out at a time and let it thaw at room temperature. As single pieces they did not take any time at all and showed no sign of sogginess.

nubka
10-28-2010, 03:07 PM
BTW, if you buy Marie Callender, they are already frozen so it's not like you're refreezing it.

I'm buying mine at the restaraunt, though, so they won't be frozen.

cruisin
10-28-2010, 03:45 PM
I have frozen home baked apple, pumpkin, and other fruit pies which are baked with the filling in the shell. I usually will thaw them and then throw them into the oven to "perk them up". That takes the excess moisture out of them. You wouldn't be able to do that with a cream pie. But, they sell frozen cream pies in the grocery store and the crusts on those get a little soggy anyway. I think you'll be fine.

Nubka, in some areas there are no Marie Callender restaurants, so it is only thought of as frozen food. :)

Veronika
10-28-2010, 04:00 PM
Yeah, I didn't even know that Marie Callender was an actual restaurant until about a year ago. :lol:

cruisin
10-28-2010, 04:06 PM
Yeah, I didn't even know that Marie Callender was an actual restaurant until about a year ago. :lol:

http://www.mcpies.com/find_us/

They are only in the western half of the country. So, most of us on the east coast, wouldn't know it was anything but frozen food. The only reason I knew, was my mother buys the Marie Callender's frozen dinners and I read about the restaurants on the package.

nubka
10-28-2010, 08:31 PM

Interesting. I always just assumed the Marie Callendar was nation-wide. They make a great french-dip sandwich, and then of course, there's the pie... :):) :) (we need to have a YUMMY icon, lol!)

cruisin
10-28-2010, 08:44 PM
Interesting. I always just assumed the Marie Callendar was nation-wide. They make a great french-dip sandwich, and then of course, there's the pie... :):) :) (we need to have a YUMMY icon, lol!)

Have you ever bought a Marie Callender's pie frozen? Is the restaurant pie better? Bigger? Different?

For anyone who has Costco - their apple pies are excellent. Especially heated up.

Nubka, we need a smiley face licking it's lips! :lol: