PDA

View Full Version : Pumpkin Pie advice

Pages : [1] 2

alhrayth
10-27-2010, 10:02 AM
Hi everyone!

This year for the first time ever I'm experimenting with pumpkins... we do have some traditional recipes in Italy, but they've never been too used in my family, as they tend to stem from other regions that those we do come from.
Out of sheer curiosity I bought my first pumpkin a couple of weeks ago and made asoup/cream that was sooooooo good, that I had to buy another one which is currently sitting in my kitchen as I have decided that I want to turn it into something sweet, and not to replicate the previous attempt.
So I've been digging up recipes, and I decided I wanted to give a try to the pumpkin pies I've seen on countless movies and shows.
But... I've found loads of little variations, and I've not settled on a recipe yet!
What are your opinions of this dish? Ingredients I cannot skip (please don't say the pumpkin LOL!) or things I should avoid? Tips and tricks?

Prancer
10-27-2010, 12:22 PM
Pretty much the standard recipe in the States is the Libby's pumpkin pie recipe: http://www.meals.com/Recipes/LIBBYS-Famous-Pumpkin-Pie.aspx?recipeid=18470

But of course, it uses canned pumpkin. If you're using fresh, this is pretty close to how people I know make it: http://www.pickyourown.org/pumpkinpie.php

Cinnamon, cloves and ginger are constants; I don't think I've ever seen a pumpkin pie recipe without them.

I'm not a huge fan of pumpkin pie, although I make it for Thanksgiving, as well as bake some up in ramekins for crustless custards. I do love pumpkin soup, though; I just made a curried pumpkin soup that was really good.

JumpinBug
10-27-2010, 03:27 PM
Spices, sugar, eggs, evaporated milk. All good recipes should use those ingredients. But most essential is having whipped cream to serve over top of it. Mmmmm.

orbitz
10-27-2010, 03:33 PM
Nutmeg, nutmeg, nutmeg.

Alexa5
10-27-2010, 03:36 PM
I like some of the no-bake recipes because I prefer a homemade graham cracker crust with it...here is one:

http://allrecipes.com/recipe/double-layer-pumpkin-pie/Detail.aspx

I also like this one:

http://www.ehow.com/how_4602066_pumpkin-turtle-pie-no-bake.html

But as said above the traditional recipe is usually the Libby's one.

alhrayth
10-27-2010, 06:06 PM
uhmmm... I had to google what evaporated milk is because it's something I've never seen here. At first I thought of what I have then identified as condensed milk, and was slightly horrified for all that sweetness added. But from what I understood, evaporated milk is another thing.. which we do not have - at all!
Some sites suggested substituting it with dehydrated milk reconstuted with less water than one is supposed to use... do you think that could work?

dbny
10-27-2010, 06:27 PM
My recipe does not use evaporated milk, and, in fact, I now always use a milk substitute such as Rice Dream, as one of my DD's is extremely allergic to all milk products. No one can tell the difference.

znachki
10-27-2010, 06:35 PM
uhmmm... I had to google what evaporated milk is because it's something I've never seen here. At first I thought of what I have then identified as condensed milk, and was slightly horrified for all that sweetness added. But from what I understood, evaporated milk is another thing.. which we do not have - at all!
Some sites suggested substituting it with dehydrated milk reconstuted with less water than one is supposed to use... do you think that could work?

They definitely are different things.

The substitution of dried milk with less water will work. Evaporated milk has had about 60% of the water removed. I think the recipe calls for a 14oz can which is about 1 2/3 cups which is about .95 liters.

Evaporated milk has a unique taste, so it will probably be a bit different, but not that much,. Should be yummy!

znachki
10-27-2010, 06:45 PM
My recipe does not use evaporated milk, and, in fact, I now always use a milk substitute such as Rice Dream, as one of my DD's is extremely allergic to all milk products. No one can tell the difference.

Saw this after I posted. You're right, no reason really to use evaporated milk. I'd think as long as the amount of liquid was correct, you could substitute regular milk or any other milk substitute - rice, soy, or whatever - that can be used in cooking.

Obviously it would change the tase and mouthfeel to a degree, and you might have to keep an eye on the cooking time, but that would probably be a matter of 5-10 minutes either way.

barbk
10-27-2010, 07:46 PM
Please let us know how it is received -- Pumpkin Pie is one of the things that exchange students visiting us tend to look at quite dubiously, and while they're polite about trying a taste, it appears to generate the same reaction as I'm sure I show to vegemite.

Brownies, on the other hand, appear to be rather universally appreciated. D's host father in Italy swooned over the brownies she made, and our exchange students have loved them too.

Aceon6
10-27-2010, 09:29 PM
Please let us know how it is received -- Pumpkin Pie is one of the things that exchange students visiting us tend to look at quite dubiously, and while they're polite about trying a taste, it appears to generate the same reaction as I'm sure I show to vegemite.

Brownies, on the other hand, appear to be rather universally appreciated. D's host father in Italy swooned over the brownies she made, and our exchange students have loved them too.

I think it's a texture thing. In many cultures, semi solid is a sign of danger, not a sign of deliciousness.

Wiery
10-27-2010, 10:04 PM
Is commercially prepared eggnog available where you live? If so, it can be used instead of evaporated milk. Here's a recipe:

http://www.goodhousekeeping.com/recipefinder/easy-eggnog-pumpkin-pie-874

JAF
10-28-2010, 01:02 AM
I would use Half&Half (half cream half milk) in place of evaporated milk.
Half&Half would have the richness of evaporated milk.

neptune
10-28-2010, 03:06 AM
In the past, I've made some pumpkin pies using fresh pumpkin. But I gradually realized that canned pumpkin works just as well if not better. So I never use fresh pumpkin anymore to make pies--too much trouble and just not worth it IMO. I think fresh pumpkin works better in soups and similar dishes.

A couple of things you might try in your pie that can add more flavor:

freshly grated ginger (instead of dried ginger)
grated lemon zest (rind)
crème fraîche or sour cream (instead of evaporated milk)

Hope your experience is as easy as pie! ;)

Lainerb
10-28-2010, 03:37 AM
I prefere butter nut squash pie myself.