PDA

View Full Version : Can Hanyu and Murakami make the world team this year & if so, who would they replace?

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 [8] 9 10

Jenna
11-09-2010, 10:53 PM
Kanako just scored impressive marks at Japanese sectionals, higher than Akiko at Cup of China. Of course, these marks were surely inflated, but a glance at the protocols reveals that her jump content was wayyy more substantial. At this point, I think Kanako and Miki look strong for the team, and as crazy as this sounds, I think the third spot will be a toss up between Mao and Akiko.

Hanyu also put up huge numbers at Japanese sectionals. However, Oda, Kozuka, and Takahashi are all very strong as well. I think it will come down to a matter of who skates the best on competition day, and if Hanyu can pull it off at Nationals, I'm pretty sure he will be on the team.

miki88
11-09-2010, 11:25 PM
It's still early. If last season is any indication, the GP events no longer dictates what happens at Nationals or later in the season.

burntBREAD
11-10-2010, 03:24 AM
Kanako just scored impressive marks at Japanese sectionals, higher than Akiko at Cup of China. Of course, these marks were surely inflated, but a glance at the protocols reveals that her jump content was wayyy more substantial. At this point, I think Kanako and Miki look strong for the team, and as crazy as this sounds, I think the third spot will be a toss up between Mao and Akiko.

Hanyu also put up huge numbers at Japanese sectionals. However, Oda, Kozuka, and Takahashi are all very strong as well. I think it will come down to a matter of who skates the best on competition day, and if Hanyu can pull it off at Nationals, I'm pretty sure he will be on the team.

Murakami's FS at Sectionals:
3T-3T 3Lz 3F~2A*halfway point* 2F 3Lo< 2A 2S-1Lo-2Lo<
Yeah, it was definitely inflated. She got 113 for 4 ratified triples, one of them a severe flutz, and she might have fallen (I only saw the total score) on the loop, who knows
So her FS supposed to be, I suppose
3T-3T (maybe 3F-3T later?) 3(F)Lz 3F~2A 3F(one of the F will have to be replaced if she does 3F-3T) 3Lo 2A 3S-2Lo-2Lo

Akiko's FS at COC
3Lz 2A-3T<< 3Lo-2T *halfway point* 3Lz-2T-2Lo 1F 3Lo 2S<<
Also landed 4 ratified triples, got ~105, understandably lower since it was an international competition
Her layout is most likely
3Lz 2A-3T 3Lo-2T 3Lz-2T-2Lo 3F 3Lo 3S
I don't think that Akiko's layout is any easier than Kanako's, with two lutzes, a flip, and two loops- I think, in fact, Akiko's jump base value is slightly higher than Kanako's, 46.08 to 44.73, and her PCS is higher. But considering both ladies can have their moments of unreliability, who knows what's going to happen? Maybe Haruka Imai will be on the team!

But ITA about Hanyu. :D

poths
11-13-2010, 03:30 PM
Japanese Men are just in a different league. :eek:

Remember when Shin Amano was the best they had to offer? Or Freakin Yamato Tamura who was even able to win a title in 2003!

Takeshi Honda just paved the way for the Talented Junior to World Beater Japanese trend.

Takahashi, Oda, Kozuka and Hanyu - 4 World Junior Champs who could all add that senior title too.

I'm also diggin' Mura, Tanaka, Machida and Murakami

Ziggy
11-15-2010, 11:44 PM
Tamura was super voidy though!

But yes, he was in no-technik. :P

Jenna
11-16-2010, 12:16 AM
I think Kanako's win at Skate America just proves that she can absolutely challenge for this team, heck I wouldn't past her to win Japanese Nationals. She seems to be progressing nicely this season.

Marco
11-16-2010, 01:43 AM
So far Ando and Murakami have each won a GP. Given how craptacular the GP season has been so far and how relatively solid both of them have looked, both are likely to be at GPF and medal. Asada won't make GPF but she isn't likely to miss the team at all. So Suzuki better make sure she makes GPF or else...

Does the JPN Fed have a policy this year about World team selection from GPF qualifiers? Top finisher? I would love to see Suzuki become the top finisher at GPF :D

burntBREAD
11-16-2010, 01:46 AM
So far Ando and Murakami have each won a GP. Given how craptacular the GP season has been so far and how relatively solid both of them have looked, both are likely to be at GPF and medal. Asada won't make GPF but she isn't likely to miss the team at all. So Suzuki better make sure she makes GPF or else...

Does the JPN Fed have a policy this year about World team selection from GPF qualifiers? Top finisher? I would love to see Suzuki become the top finisher at GPF :D

I'm always rooting for Akiko! :cheer2:

midori
11-16-2010, 02:31 AM

This season they do not have the policy about GPF top finisher with a medal, first time after Torino Olympics. I think they knew Asada would not do well in GPS.

Jenna
11-16-2010, 02:32 AM
Oh, so it all comes down to Nationals. That makes it that much more exciting. Last year the judges did not score Ando as favorably when they knew she was already headed to Vancouver.

Sylvia
11-16-2010, 02:38 AM
JSF's criteria for 2011 World team consideration (published on Sept. 3, 2010) -- in Japanese: http://www.skatingjapan.or.jp/image_data/fck/file/2010_Figure/2010-11%20selection%20procedure.pdf

There's an Englsih translation/summary posted at Golden Skate:
http://www.goldenskate.com/forum/showthread.php?32707-JSF-s-criteria-2010-11-on-who-to-send-to-Worlds&p=515655#post515655

midori
11-16-2010, 02:52 AM
Oh, so it all comes down to Nationals.

Not that simple. The policy says they will consider all the various factors together and pick ones from following qualifiers:

1. top 3 in the GPS (incl. GPF) ranking
2. top 3 in the Nationals
3. top 3 in the World Standing
- or some excuse in case of injury during early in the season

I do not know what the GPS ranking means, nor if top 3 means 3 within Japanese skaters or all from the world.

Now looking at the list above again, there is a chance Mao cannot even "qualify." :eek:

ETA: reading the list again and I think it implies "top 3 within Japanese skaters of the discipline," then Mao qualifies by the item 3.

ETA2: reading the list once again and found the excuse for injury is not only for injury but "injury and all," so they can do whatever they would like.

chipso1
11-16-2010, 03:24 AM
I think Kanako's win at Skate America just proves that she can absolutely challenge for this team, heck I wouldn't past her to win Japanese Nationals. She seems to be progressing nicely this season.

Score-wise, her performance at SA wasn't that much better than what Suzuki did in China, though.

Kanako -- 164.93
Akiko -- 162.86

So while I think she does have a great chance to make the team, she may be hard pressed to win the title...this year, that is. :)

BigB08822
11-16-2010, 03:55 AM
Asada could certainly be left off the team the way she is skating. However, she can take steps to assure she at least makes the World team. If she goes for 3loop/2loop, 3toe and 2 axel in the short, her PCS would be enough to keep her in contention and she could repeat that content for the long (repeat the loop and toe, plus salchow and maybe a flip if she can rotate it, she could also max out her 2axels) and probably eek out a spot on the team. If she skates at Nationals like she has in her first two competitions, I see no way she will remain on the Japanese World team without some huge gifts. She simply isn't doing nearly enough technical content to get the marks, even with her PCS. Her placement at her first GP says it all. Competition at her own Nationals will be even tougher.

burntBREAD
11-26-2010, 11:08 PM
After TEB's SP, how about Imai? She looks to be relatively consistent though her PCS is the lowest of the top Japanese ladies (apart from Fumie, whom I'm not sure I consider "top", anymore...)