PDA

View Full Version : Can Hanyu and Murakami make the world team this year & if so, who would they replace?

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 6 [7] 8 9 10

pinky166
11-03-2010, 11:46 PM
Lysacek is one of the greatest and most consistent skaters of the last decade. It is no surprise he got some of the highest PCS reflecting his superiority.

I'm not saying he didn't deserve the huge PCS, I more just find the sudden meteoric rise in his PCS interesting.

judgejudy27
11-03-2010, 11:56 PM
I think his PCS went up since his skating improved and since the judges respect his consistency. Also from 2008 to 2010 alot of skaters either gradually retired or went in decline or were inconsistent as heck which helped him a great deal move up the pecking order.

Ziggy
11-04-2010, 02:13 AM
Rippon zzzzzzed his way through both of his programs at SC and Chan totally deserved to destroy him on all the PCS.

His basics are obviously far superior and both of his programs were better constructed, had more transitions and were skated more on the music than Rippon's.

Marco - Exactly. Oda's last (and only) two great programs were Super Mario Bros and Zatoichi the season he won Junior Worlds.

I guess the idea afterwards was to make him more "sophisticated" but he just can't do subtle, classical music.

skateboy
11-04-2010, 02:41 AM
The 2006 womens figure skating event was shockingly appaling even without considering it was missing 3 of the best skaters in the World at the time,

Are you talking about Olys? Which "three of the best skaters in the world at the time" are you talking about?

Marco
11-04-2010, 03:28 AM
Are you talking about Olys? Which "three of the best skaters in the world at the time" are you talking about?

Michelle Kwan, Michelle Kwan and Michelle Kwan. :lol:

(I think the intention was to include the age ineligible Mao Asada and Yuna Kim)

judgejudy27
11-04-2010, 03:33 AM

Obviously Mao Asada who was a combined 5-1 vs Slutskaya, Asada, and Arakawa that season (her only loss to the 15 month god mode version of Slutskaya who was long dead by the time of the Olympics). As well Michelle Kwan and Yu Na Kim who beat Asada at that seasons World Juniors. Not neccessarily the 3 best, but 3 of the best, along with the 3 medalists at the Olympics themselves. Having those other 3 in the event would have made it far more competitive and given the performances of the 3 medalists probably shook up the podium somewhat. Kim and Kwan imparticular probably would have needed Cohen and Slutskaya to make mistakes to have a hope to medal in Torino but that is what happened.

Marco
11-04-2010, 03:36 AM
Marco - Exactly. Oda's last (and only) two great programs were Super Mario Bros and Zatoichi the season he won Junior Worlds.

I guess the idea afterwards was to make him more "sophisticated" but he just can't do subtle, classical music.

I think he was missing a personality on the ice. And that's OK if at least his programs are cleverly constructed to display quality / ability to execute difficult choreography. (Just like Chan) But sigh...

And I was upset that he didn't go for the quad more last season. He was obviously going to take the Joubert and Plushenko route and jump his way to a medal (and with quality too) but instead he stayed conservative while skating to no program at all. It's like he was aiming at 6th place at best.

And in fact he is very much like Sasha Cohen. Has all it takes to win and almost always wins a GP medal etc but just can't make it work at the big comps. At least Sasha Cohen medalled at her 3rd worlds.

Marco
11-07-2010, 07:58 PM
Kozuka's convincing victory over Verner and Joubert should mean something, so should those competitive PCS.

Ziggy
11-07-2010, 08:38 PM
Kozuka's convincing victory over Verner and Joubert should mean something, so should those competitive PCS.

He's FINALLY getting the PCS he deserves.

About freakin' time!!!!! :cheer:

burntBREAD
11-07-2010, 08:56 PM
He's FINALLY getting the PCS he deserves.

About freakin' time!!!!! :cheer:

Akiko's PCS is going up too! :biggrinbo

Ziggy
11-07-2010, 08:58 PM
Akiko's PCS is going up too! :biggrinbo

I was :cheer: about her getting higher PCS than ueber-bland Ando in the FS. :)

burntBREAD
11-07-2010, 09:05 PM
I was :cheer: about her getting higher PCS than ueber-bland Ando in the FS. :)

Yes, and too bad Mirai bombed or else she would have gotten higher PCS too :D

Jenna
11-07-2010, 09:05 PM
Me too! :cheer2: She definitely deserves it.

dinakt
11-08-2010, 12:00 AM
I agree.

I think Kozuka is generally very undermarked on the PCS. Probably because he's not outgoing and expressive.

But his basics are good and he usually does skate to the music.

Do people really need to do hip thrusts in order to get recognised? :P

As for losing to 4 falls Chan, well most currently competing skaters would.

Takahashi is the only skater at present who gets PCS as high as Chan from the judges, falls or not.

I agree too. Kozuka skates very much to the music, I can physically feel how he listens and responds, and his skills are absolutely fabulous.
It seems that I am stuck loving skaters who skate more "within" - Abbott, Kozuka. Takahiko's quality is gorgeous, and he seems to be on his way to be finally acknowledged for his SS. With the results the top 3 Men are getting so far this season, they will be the ones at Worlds, barring the unexpected.

burntBREAD
11-08-2010, 01:14 AM
At this point, I'm not sure if Kanako OR Hanyu will make the Worlds team - Akiko, and in particular, Miki are both looking relatively strong, and I agree, there's just no way the JSF will leave the defending world champion off the team unless Mao absolutely bombs a la NHK (which can't even be ruled out, unfortunately)

Daisuke, Nobu, and Takahiko are all looking quite formidable, and Hanyu, while he's looked good, hasn't been in the same league.

But who knows? This could all change come December