PDA

View Full Version : Can Hanyu and Murakami make the world team this year & if so, who would they replace?

Pages : 1 [2] 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10

NMURA
10-27-2010, 10:00 AM
I see them wanting to keep Hanyu and Murakami off of the world team and sending them to junior worlds again instead. Their juniors aren't particularly strong this year but they'll probably want to keep the spots they have for next year's JGP.

I don't think Murakami is needed for Jr worlds. As long as she can't do the 3loop consistently, she won't be much help. Losing badly against Russian girls doesn't help her reputation in the senior as well. If Murakami takes one spot, probably Shoji and Nishino take the rest. Even if they can maintain 3 spots, the total number of send-able skaters will be same (or less, if they failed save 3 spots).

2011 Murakami, Shoji, Nishino
2012 Shoji, Miyahara, Fujisawa?
or
2011 Shoji, Nishino, Fujisawa?
2012 Shoji, Miyahara

JGP spots will be OK as long as Shoji can fend off Li Zijun. That should not be a big problem.

As for junior men, they don't need maximum spots in the first place. And even if Hanyu wins again, there's no guarantee they can save 3 spots.

Marco
10-27-2010, 10:38 AM
My reservation with Murakami is the same as what I had when Asada / Caroline Zhang first went senior. The flutz and the picking technique was fine by junior standards but suddenly got scrutinized much more harshly and they stagnated until they finally sacrificed consistency, time and results to rework their jumps.

allezfred
10-27-2010, 11:53 AM
As an aside, I can see them leaving a reigning world champion off the world team.

Not going to happen. Unless Mao is injured she'll be at Worlds.

KittenInTheSun
10-27-2010, 12:31 PM
Does Machida have a quad? I don't like him nearly as much as I do Hanyu with the wonderful quad and 3axel. Hanyu's skating looks much more stylish (to me anyways).

Machida is very short and Hanyu is slim and tall with longer limbs, but I can't say Hanyu is more stylish than Machida when the former always stoops while skating.

Yes, it's a personal thing, but I just can't stand skaters with bad postures.

Regarding the topic,
I think Hanyu needs one or two more years to get as high PCS as Oda and Kozuka.
I hope the best top 3 at Japanese Nationals will go to Tokyo worlds.

AliasJohnDoe
10-27-2010, 04:03 PM
Does Machida have a quad? I don't like him nearly as much as I do Hanyu with the wonderful quad and 3axel. Hanyu's skating looks much more stylish (to me anyways).

Yes Machida has a quad. And I find Machida much more stylish than Hanyu at this point. Hanyu just needs a year or 2 to mature, as Machida did 2 years ago. Machida has great style this season and has matured nicely. Though he is tiny.

Machida has been posting some respectable scores internationally. Machida not only won 2010 Nebelhorn with a score of 221.22. He won the silver at 2010 4CC with a score of 217.48. Adam Rippon won the gold at 4CC. But Machida did beat Reynolds, Bradley, Mroz, Sawyer and D.Ten at 4CC 2010. Which is commendable.

Machida has been posting scores worthy of a World spot on the Japanese Men's team. I can't wait to see how he does at CoC next week. I actually felt bad for Machida waiting in the wings of such greats as Takahashi, Oda and Kozuka. Machida deserves his chance, especially with the results he's been getting this year. He has patiently waited and shown he is ready. Hanyu can wait a year or 2 like Machida has, and mature. But Japan does have a huge depth in men.

JerseySlore
10-27-2010, 04:52 PM
I actually thought Murakami would go on to bump off Suzuki, but she clearly has some consistency issue. Plus, apart from spin, I can't think of one thing Murakami does better.

pinky166
10-27-2010, 05:20 PM
I actually thought Murakami would go on to bump off Suzuki, but she clearly has some consistency issue. Plus, apart from spin, I can't think of one thing Murakami does better.

I agree the outlook is mixed right now regarding all the skaters. However, I will say that I don't see Mao or Miki being left off the World Team this season, despite any problems they may be having, just because the JSF probably knows that they both have a good shot at winning the world title or at least a medal if they skate well. Suzuki on the other hand I don't think has a realistic shot at being World Champion this season, she may have a shot at a medal, but with the kind of PCS she tends to get, even that might be tough. So I say if anyone gets bumped by Kanako, it's Akiko, but we'll have to see how they are skating later in the season to get a better idea. Further, if Mao (or Miki) is still (starts) having huge issues come winter then maybe one of them wouldn't go to Worlds, but I still tend to think they will both be there.

robinhood
10-27-2010, 05:21 PM
I love Hanyu, as I love all the Japanese men field, but I think he needs yet another season before making to seniors. I believe, as some of you, that the real dark horse is Machida. He looks completly ready this season and I fear for Oda the most. Hanyu could go to Jr Worlds and win 2 in a row as Rippon did. That'll set him up nicely for the future
About the ladies, I love Kanako. But I just don't trust her jumping technique. She does quite a strange thing with her left leg and she might address that before it becomes a real issue. At the moment, though, I do fear Mao's position. Even with her last year's problems the jumps weren't as catastrophic as they have been this year. She has lots to proof in the next competition. As you say, Fumie was left out of a worlds spot when she was a silver medallist, and Slutskaya didn't make the world team either in 1999 (2000?) when she was a world medalist too. Nothing is for granted in deep fields like these

Hedwig
10-27-2010, 07:25 PM
Yes. But this is Mao we are talking about. She is a huge star in Japan. I am the same opinion as Allezfred - if she is able to walk she will be on the team.
And I am not too afraid for her. She often has a bit of a rough start in the season and this one everything is new. She is relearning everything. She will be fine come January. *knocks on wood*

miki88
10-27-2010, 10:32 PM
Yes. But this is Mao we are talking about. She is a huge star in Japan. I am the same opinion as Allezfred - if she is able to walk she will be on the team.
And I am not too afraid for her. She often has a bit of a rough start in the season and this one everything is new. She is relearning everything. She will be fine come January. *knocks on wood*

I agree. I do have a feeling that if Kanako does well this season, she'll replace Akiko. I like Akiko but Kanako has more hype.

Jenna
10-27-2010, 10:47 PM
Not going to happen. Unless Mao is injured she'll be at Worlds.

No way. Mao has a LOT to prove after her disaster at NHK. If she skates similarly while the others excel at nationals, she will not be named!

dinakt
10-27-2010, 11:05 PM
Men are to Japan what Pairs are to Russia. Too few spots! Japan truly needs 6. I can see Oda being bumped for Hanyu or Machida ( or Mura, who looked lovely at NHK), if Oda implodes during the GP series.
I HOPE Kozuka is safe as I am a fan; cannot think objectively there.
Mao has to be safe- with the Worlds in Japan and Mao being 2- time World Champion, and a celebrity. She'll be there barring an injury.
I am not yet panicking about Mao... she has time.

allezfred
10-27-2010, 11:13 PM
No way. Mao has a LOT to prove after her disaster at NHK. If she skates similarly while the others excel at nationals, she will not be named!

Mao has nothing to prove. She is a two-time World champion and Olympic silver medallist, as well as a huge star in Japan. She is reworking her technique. Everybody knows that this takes time. It ain't going to be pretty for a while.

But if you think a healthy Mao is not going to be named to the Worlds team, then you obviously haven't been following very closely how the JSF selects skaters. :lol:

Ziggy
10-28-2010, 03:01 AM
Asada should take this season out, it's silly.

I hope Murakami replaces Ando or Asada (Fred is making a good point but what if Asada places like 9th at Nats - still gonna be named? :/).

I hope Hanyu replaces Oda whom I used to love in Juniors but now he's mind numbingly boring.

I though that being freed from Morozov would change that but then I saw his music choices. :shuffle:

Marco
10-28-2010, 04:52 AM
Personally

I want the teams to be Asada, Suzuki and Murakami; Takahashi, Kozuka and Hanyu.

Ando and Oda have peaked or in any event are just no longer willing to try the harder elements to break through. They of course have not had a break through artistically since what, 2005.