PDA

View Full Version : Why is my DSL download speed so slow?

Spiralgraph
10-27-2010, 01:16 AM
The last four days my download/connection speed is an atrocious 16 kb a second. I have the slower DSL and my usual speed is 90 kb. I run anti virus and anti spyware and my modem is working fine to my knowledge

If no one has any simple advice to offer (and I'm technically ignorant) I'd just like reassurance that the problem is not with me, but my ISP, Verizon.

Thanks in advance

venja
10-27-2010, 01:58 AM
Try turning the modem off and then back on.

DBZ
10-27-2010, 02:26 AM
Funny, I just dealt with this issue today.

venja is correct; turning the modem (and router if you use one) off and on again is the first step. I did this and my download speed went back to normal. Simple and quick solution.

If that doesn't help, go to this site, speedtest.net, to test your download speed. Test it a couple times throughout the day it get a general average of your DL speed.

If it's consistently slower than what your DSL plan offers, then you need to contact your provider for tech support.

The problem could be anything ranging from your modem, to your router, to your cable, to the phone lines in your walls, etc.

If it's any of those issues, then their tech support team should be able to help you.

Good luck!