PDA

View Full Version : Two disasters in Indonesia

Wyliefan
10-26-2010, 07:21 PM
They've had a volcanic eruption AND a tsunami (http://www.nytimes.com/2010/10/27/world/asia/27indo.html?partner=rss&emc=rss). :eek: :(

Will post links to disaster relief efforts if I find any, once they've had time to get some organized. I'm sure the Red Cross will have a donation page before long.

Buzz
10-27-2010, 05:21 AM
Just got home and heard. This place cannot seem to catch a break! :(

AragornElessar
10-27-2010, 07:20 AM
I have a friend who works for Oxfam Canada. Last time I was talking to her, she was saying just how stretched they've been this year when you combined the two Earthquakes (Haiti and Chile), the flooding in Pakistan and then their normal projects. I can't imagine how w/this happening is going to affect their capablities to try and help w/such a horrific tragedy. They truly are stretched thinner than thin both people, resources and money wise.

My condolences and prayers to the people of Indonesia. :(

skateboy
10-27-2010, 07:29 AM
This is terrible news. Prayers to the people of Indonesia.

Aussie Willy
10-27-2010, 10:22 PM
Indonesians just can't get a break. They live in the one of the most geologically volatile parts of the world.

AragornElessar
10-27-2010, 11:35 PM
I heard on the news about twenty minutes ago that the Tsunami Early Warning System they'd set up after the Boxing Day Disaster?

It wasn't working, as it needed major maintenace and they hadn't been able to get it done. :(

This is according to CTV.

Wyliefan
10-27-2010, 11:37 PM
I have a friend who works for Oxfam Canada. Last time I was talking to her, she was saying just how stretched they've been this year when you combined the two Earthquakes (Haiti and Chile), the flooding in Pakistan and then their normal projects.

And I hear there's now a cholera epidemic in Haiti, or at least the beginnings of one.