PDA

View Full Version : Is Sasha Cohen competing this season?

Pages : 1 [2]

briancoogaert
10-26-2010, 10:31 AM
Too bad, she could have won NHK with ease. :lol:
Not even sure. She doesn't have the glide of Carolina, and she is able to fall on almost every jump... :P

pinky166
10-26-2010, 04:23 PM
Not even sure. She doesn't have the glide of Carolina, and she is able to fall on almost every jump... :P

Oh please. She can't even rotate a 2a....

Iceman
10-26-2010, 04:55 PM
Why don't they ask if someone is going to compete before they put them on the team envelope? If someone is not going to compete, do they assign someone else to the team envelope.

Sylvia
10-26-2010, 05:32 PM
Yes. The top-five competitors in the senior ranks, if I'm not mistaken, all receive byes to nationals. Sylvia can correct me on this but I also think that all the reigning Olympic medalists receive byes so Lysacek and Davis/White can compete in the next four nationals as long as they file their paperwork.
Correct. They would just have to register by the qualifying competition deadline of September 1st.

Why don't they ask if someone is going to compete before they put them on the team envelope? If someone is not going to compete, do they assign someone else to the team envelope.
The team envelopes usually are published in May/June, and some skaters don't make a decision about competing until before or after the Sept. 1st qualifying comp. deadline.

No one else is assigned if an envelope spot is vacated by a skater or team.

AFAIK, neither Sasha Cohen nor USFS has made any official announcements re. whether or not she plans to compete in 2010-11.

Kelvster
10-26-2010, 05:38 PM
interesting thread.

as much as i would sasha to come back, i think that she already accomplished a lot by skating at nationals last year. yes, she didn't make it to the olympics, but she showed a lot of class and determination. you could tell that the pewter medal genuinely meant something to her. and that's how i would like to remember sasha!!

IceAlisa
10-26-2010, 05:46 PM

Having seen Carolina implode at 2009 Worlds live, I'd say it's one of the worst performances in recent history at a major competition.

Octoberopals
10-28-2010, 11:25 PM
SOI and shows seem to be her forte - no pressure to be perfect, so she can be free to be perfect.

Plus she gets paid $$$ for both.

Jenna
10-28-2010, 11:30 PM
Having seen Carolina implode at 2009 Worlds live, I'd say it's one of the worst performances in recent history at a major competition.

I think Mao topped it at NHK.

Schmeck
10-29-2010, 12:44 AM
SOI and shows seem to be her forte - no pressure to be perfect, so she can be free to be perfect.

I've never seen her skate perfectly at SOI, and I've been every year she's toured with them. She's done a few nice doubles, but I think she's landed maybe one triple, and has spent more time being carried around than actually skating.

I was hoping she was competing this year, so I wouldn't have to suffer through another floppy performance at this year's SOI. At least Kurt is touring for the 25th anniversay, so that will be my saving grace.

IceAlisa
10-29-2010, 12:49 AM
I think Mao topped it at NHK.

This year? I haven't seen it but will look for it. SP or LP?

skatingfan5
10-29-2010, 12:53 AM
This year? I haven't seen it but will look for it. SP or LP?SP wasn't good, but FS was a disaster of epic (near Hubertian) proportions. :( NBC may wish that it weren't broadcasting the NHK ladies event this weekend.

IceAlisa
10-29-2010, 01:20 AM
OK, just saw Mao LP from NHK. You know what, yes, jump-wise it was a disaster. But this is a truly lovely program with so much nice flow and transitions (oh if only she pointed her toes). So there is plenty to love in this program even with botched jumps. I really hope she gets it together. She also looked a bit thinner than usual so I wonder if that's a factor.

With Carolina, it was just one big :eek: and :scream: throughout. It was uncomfortable to watch with nothing else to enjoy in the program unless you are into speed skating.