PDA

View Full Version : DWTS 10/25-26 the UnCorked version

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 [19] 20 21

danceronice
10-27-2010, 05:21 PM
Leading and choreography have little to do with each other. Being a good leader is something all male dancers work on. (And I have no idea what any of the pro men are like beyond "probably better than average", as some may be great leaders, some may be entirely reliant on dancing a routine.) Choreography, especially for a pro/am student, is another animal--it involves figuring out what your student can do well and how to string that together in the momst-flattering way. There's not a huge amount of lead and follow, less even than in real comps because there you have floor traffic to negotiate.

Where it's tougher for the guys is women get the flash moves, especially in a dance like tango or waltz--it's the old saw about the woman is the picture, the man is the frame, etc. So if they stick with how the dance usually goes, the guy doesn't always get as much to do. The woman's in a killer dress and spinning around and doing flex/extension moves (very much not something guys emphasize) that can LOOK super-fancy without always being difficult or in fact very technical.

My guess is Derek heard the backlash last time about Nicole being the annointed one (and he probably REALLY didn't appreciate Carrie Anne's "You were the chosen one!" this time as he has to know there are fans who are really sick of that.) And he'll take some slips rather than letting it look like a cakewalk again. (No, I don't think it was orchestrated.)

Wyliefan--Assassination Tango is AWESOME, but it is rather bleak and art-housey. As far as the dance goes, though, I first heard of it because it's mentioned in "Tango: The Art History of Love" (good book) and apparently Duval (brilliant actor, love him) absolutely fell in love with AT and took the whole thing very, very seriously. It's hard to take some dance movies seriously because the script so often doesn't. Funnily, if you listen to Baz Luhreman on "Strictly Ballroom"'s commentary, he obviously loves the subject and is in fact quite respectful, but because he did a very OTT pastiche people missed it. And there's a little film called "Dance With Me" that, while the plot is trite, is remarkably kind and accurate as far as pro-am and low-level am goes. The US "Shall We Dance" kind of...fails at that. The Japanese "Shall We Dance?" is an okay dance movie but a better Japanese social observation movie.

I suppose I should just be happy it's not as prone to bad movie-itis as ice skating!

deltask8er
10-27-2010, 05:43 PM
I love Heart but can barely hear her vocals. Maybe the almost shirtless men are distracting me...:grope:

When I heard Barracuda and remembered that a Palin is on the show, it reminded me of this from 2008:

Thursday afternoon, Heart e-mailed out a statement regarding vice-presidential candidate Sarah “Barracuda” Palin’s use of their similarly monikered song at the Republican National Convention: “The Republican campaign did not ask for permission to use the song, nor would they have been granted that permission,” it read. “We have asked the Republican campaign publicly not to use our music. We hope our wishes will be honored.”

http://hollywoodinsider.ew.com/2008/09/05/heart-responds/

So, did the two ladies of Heart come across Bristol during rehearsal? :shuffle:

mpal2
10-27-2010, 05:47 PM

I'm willing to bet that's the only reason Heart was invited to the show.

KikiSashaFan
10-27-2010, 05:55 PM
My Derek hate escalated when him and Nicole won last season and Mark hoisted him up and they started celebrating and Nicole was left standing there all alone. I wasn't a Nicole fan, but really.

rfisher
10-27-2010, 06:01 PM
When I heard Barracuda and remembered that a Palin is on the show, it reminded me of this from 2008:

http://hollywoodinsider.ew.com/2008/09/05/heart-responds/

Aww...poor Bristol. :lol: Seriously, she's been a really good sport and she wins the most improvement award. She's clearly not an actress and doesn't do the fake drama. The producers have stopped trying to create drama around her because of her mother. It just didn't happen. I kind of like her and if she decks Mark for being handsy, I'll applaud. Although, he does seem to have backed off a bit. Maybe it finally got through to him she was very uncomfortable when he was too touchy-feely.

purple skates
10-27-2010, 06:23 PM
Was Audrina's pro the same as the one that Kate had last season? Because some of Audrina's moves (arms raised stuff) this week and a bit last week were very like Kate's paparazzi dance.

LuckyCharm
10-27-2010, 06:26 PM
Was Audrina's pro the same as the one that Kate had last season? Because some of Audrina's moves (arms raised stuff) this week and a bit last week were very like Kate's paparazzi dance.

Yes, Tony was partnered with Kate last season.

Yazmeen
10-27-2010, 07:18 PM

Actually, they have essentially "reformed" and I believe they have a new album out. Doubt this had anything to do with either Palin.

danceronice
10-27-2010, 07:50 PM
Yes, Tony was partnered with Kate last season.

At least Audrina was sweet and nice to him....

skatingfan5
10-27-2010, 07:52 PM
At least Audrina was sweet and nice to him....And even if she was bland and a bit "plastic", Audrina had more than eleventy billion times the dance ability of Kate.

LuckyCharm
10-27-2010, 08:01 PM
And even if she was bland and a bit "plastic", Audrina had more than eleventy billion times the dance ability of Kate.

Audrina seemed to regress as the weeks went by. At first it was "She's pretty good, just needs more performance experience." It ended up "Quick, somebody check for a pulse!" She seemed more self-conscious and withdrawn the past 2 weeks than she ever did before. But yeah, at least she was nice (although I didn't think Kate was that mean to him.)

Vash01
10-27-2010, 08:23 PM
I don't get the Derek hate either. He has done a good job so far. He is not my most favorite dancer, but I don't dislike him.

Garden Kitty
10-27-2010, 08:27 PM
I don't get the Derek hate either. He has done a good job so far. He is not my most favorite dancer, but I don't dislike him.

I think he's very talented, but I don't like the way he always seems to be mugging for the cameras as if he's afraid they'll be one minute where he's not being noticed. But I give him credit because he's always quick to congratulate the other people when they're named safe.

Wyliefan
10-27-2010, 09:22 PM
Aww...poor Bristol. :lol: Seriously, she's been a really good sport and she wins the most improvement award. She's clearly not an actress and doesn't do the fake drama. The producers have stopped trying to create drama around her because of her mother. It just didn't happen. I kind of like her and if she decks Mark for being handsy, I'll applaud. Although, he does seem to have backed off a bit. Maybe it finally got through to him she was very uncomfortable when he was too touchy-feely.

Handsiness aside, I think Mark was probably the best partner she could have gotten. If rehearsal clips and photos and so forth can be trusted, he seems to have a bit of a laid-back, goofy vibe that helps her relax a little.

rfisher
10-27-2010, 10:02 PM
Louis would have excellent at putting her at ease. He did a wonderful job with Kelly Osbourne. He was just way too short for Bristol.