PDA

View Full Version : DWTS 10/25-26 the UnCorked version

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 [18] 19 20 21

rfisher
10-27-2010, 01:41 PM
I don't deny Derek is a fine dancer and choreographer. However, he's had a disproportionate share of the *ringer* celebrities, just as Julianne did. The producers do not want them eliminated early. This uneven spreading of the wealth is one of the reasons Edyta pulled out of the show. Maks didn't do it one season for the same reasons. I suspect Dmitry, Tony, Louis, and even Mark are unhappy.

I think a lot of persona surrounding Maks is due to selective editing and the producer's effort to make him the bad boy while Derek is the good boy. Maks' blogs are quite different.

orbitz
10-27-2010, 02:03 PM
This uneven spreading of the wealth is one of the reasons Edyta pulled out of the show.

Given the celebrity guys that were picked for this season, Edyta would've gotten a dud anyway regardless of whom was chosen for her.

This entire season is a wash-out for me. Bad casting all around.

Norlite
10-27-2010, 02:11 PM
This entire season is a wash-out for me. Bad casting all around.

I agree. I even forgot it was on last night.

So Audrina's gone eh?

zaphyre14
10-27-2010, 02:11 PM
I don't read blogs and other than this thread, I only know what I see on the show. To me, Maks comes across as sleazy. None of the female pros seem that good at choreographing for their partners; Lacey especially spends more time dancing around hers.

So if Derek's getting the "ringers", then gripe at the producers who give them to him. The guy's GOOD; as much as I'd like to see what he could have done with a Florence or Cloris, it would have been a shameful waste of his talent. I suspect that giving him a 50-year-old was the producers' idea of handicapping him this season. I doubt if they expected Jennifer to be as good as she has been. My thought is that TPTB pegged Brandy as the front runner. I doubt that they expected Bristol and Kyle to last this long as well.

Wyliefan
10-27-2010, 02:22 PM
I don't get the Derek hate here.

Yeah, I hear you. I've been wondering about it too. "He's arrogant and spoiled" is one thing; "DEVIL'S SPAWN AND EVIL INCARNATE!!!" is another. :huh: I mean, if he really is evil incarnate, okay, but I don't know exactly why or how he's considered to be so. It just seems to be the received wisdom for some reason.

And I don't get the Maks love either.

I hear that too.

rfisher
10-27-2010, 02:49 PM
I guess some of us just don't like him. :D Derek, that is.

danceronice
10-27-2010, 02:50 PM
So you are saying she isn't normally like this? I thought tangos were passionate, lustful and romantic. Not stone faced. :lol:

Tango is pretty much done blank-faced or with a sneer. (And then you whack your competition in the nose with your right/his left as you open to promenade--oh, wait, that was just Fung/Mikhed that one time. Though I STILL cringe and don't know how Igor and Julia walked away without blood. OW. I swear I heard Julia's nose crunch.) The joke is, American Smooth tango's the first date and a little wild n' crazy, Argentine Tango is when it gets hot and heavy (though real AT dancers, as opposed to ballroom people, HATE THAT DESCRIPTION), and International tango is when you're just keeping it together for the sake of the kids.

(Anyone who wants to see decent AT addressed well with more care about what it really means, get the movie "Assassination Tango" with Robert Duval. Probably the best dance movie in general and the best American tango film.)

Derek has ALWAYS been the golden boy. Seriously, it's amazing Mark and Julianne never smothered him in his sleep. I have a distinct impression he rides a lot on talent. Not saying he's not a nice person, I've never heard any different but he definitely coasts where others sweat. He also has a tendency to show off a bit on DWTS (like backflips in the whatever-they-were-calling-it marathon).

As for Maks, I have a lot of respect for him having seen how he deals with fangirls IRL--he's a gentleman and very sweet. (No, not one of his fangirls-for starters he needs a shave more often, and I tend to prefer the UK Latin boys--but he's very, very gracious to people who approach him.) There are "real" celebrities who could take lessons from Maks in dealing with their public without looking like ***holes.

And Audrina lost because she was DULL. Utterly, utterly forgetable. Bristol did a decent bronze tango (especially being a little too tall for Mark, which royally screws with you on standard--I just switched from a teacher who's 5'9" to one who's 6'1"--I'm 5'7" in my dance heels and the difference is amazing, so much easier) and had some fun with the headbanging/air guitar (Mark is no dummy). Kyle also may not have the world's greatest show numbers but he has fun (though increasingly I get the impression that Lacey, not so much.) Audrina was skinny and pretty (which has rarely boded well long-term), partnered with someone who doesn't tend to get a lot of fan adoration himself, and she just was kind of there without ever doing anything spectacular. Eminently forgettable.

Jennifer and Derek I can't imagine were really the bottom two. Though she didn't seem all that worried either way.

Satellitegirl
10-27-2010, 03:00 PM
Glad Audrina is gone....and I agree that Bristol did well.

Wyliefan
10-27-2010, 03:04 PM
International tango is when you're just keeping it together for the sake of the kids.

:lol:

(Anyone who wants to see decent AT addressed well with more care about what it really means, get the movie "Assassination Tango" with Robert Duval. Probably the best dance movie in general and the best American tango film.)

Thanks for the recommendation. I should pick that up sometime. Not just for the dancing -- my mom is a total Duvall fangirl and would probably like to see it. Intriguing title!

rfisher
10-27-2010, 03:15 PM
Tom said one of the couples in the B2 weren't actually the next to last in terms of points. Jennifer/Derek were there for drama. However, I suspect their total votes weren't very good and that was done to scare any fans they have. If you are a fan of a particular couple, this is the point you can't split your votes.

ArtisticFan
10-27-2010, 03:48 PM
Tom said one of the couples in the B2 weren't actually the next to last in terms of points. Jennifer/Derek were there for drama. However, I suspect their total votes weren't very good and that was done to scare any fans they have. If you are a fan of a particular couple, this is the point you can't split your votes.

They have started this whole - the bottom two are not necessarily that - it adds to the drama and helps to manipulate the voters a little bit. If your couple is always safe, you become less likely to vote with the assumption that it will remain that way. The same is true if they always put someone in the bottom two. People would be clamoring to vote for the worst and save the underdog or just give up on them and let them go next time.

I think that Derek knows how to play the game and realizes that he cannot win by being perfect week in and week out. We even saw it last season with Nicole. Remember the quickstep that broke all the rule though it was an entertaining dance? You can't tell me that he didn't know the rules. By "allowing" his partner to slip a little in the rankings for a week or two, he could be trying to fight off the contingent that says he always gets the best dancers and is the predetermined winner. Maybe he's not as calculating as all that, but the hubby and I were noticing how he rarely speaks back to the judges about their statements and marks. He just smiles and takes it as if he has a master plan - maybe it is a poker face and maybe not.

orbitz
10-27-2010, 04:07 PM
Jennifer clearly messed up the dance on Wednesday. I doubt Derek's so calculated that he'll ask his student to purposely throw a dance that'll make both him and the student look bad. Derek and Jennifer didn't just slip a little; They SLIPPED.

-------------

Audrina lands a VH1 reality show (http://marquee.blogs.cnn.com/2010/10/27/audrina-patridge-lands-vh1-reality-show/?hpt=Sbin).

The show, which does not yet have a title and will be produced by Mark Burnett of "Survivor" fame, will follow "the aspiring actress and her family as they navigate through celebrity and Hollywood," says the publication.

Hmm, judging from the "acting" Audrina has been able to muster up these past few weeks during her dances, I'd say it'll be an uphill struggle for her to land legit acting jobs. At least she's very pretty.

ArtisticFan
10-27-2010, 04:37 PM
Jennifer clearly messed up the dance on Wednesday. I doubt Derek's so calculated that he'll ask his student to purposely throw a dance that'll make both him and the student look bad. Derek and Jennifer didn't just slip a little; They SLIPPED.

-------------

I wasn't saying that this week's slip was calculated. I'm just saying that his reaction during the judging and again during last night's elimination seemed to speak to the fact that he is ok with the off performance in the scheme of things. Most of the professionals seem to react a little more facially than he does when Len and the gang make any sort of critical remark. He smiles in that unworried and even cocky way that says he isn't that concerned with their comments. It could be a defense mechanism, but it just seems interesting to me that he and his partners always seem to have that one dance that either through their misstep or his choreography turns them back into the underdog for a show or two.

If you look at it from a public relations standpoint, wouldn't you rather, if you were him, hear the judges say things like: "You're back!" or "You've got your groove back!" Otherwise you open yourself up to more criticism. If Jennifer did better than the others each and every week, the judges would go for more nit picky things to point out about her dancing to make it look like they weren't just handing out 9's and 10's. The last thing you want to look like in the public eye is unbeatable. That rarely garners fans and doesn't endear you to the audience at home.

He can't control the story that the editors put together with the clip package, but what he can do is tweak the performances to build a story for him and his partner. You can pretty much bet he will use this week's performance as a part of that. Her mistake and their slip just afforded him the opportunity much as that slipping on the dress incident did with Jennie Garth.

numbers123
10-27-2010, 04:40 PM
I agree that Derek is an outstanding choreographer. But to whoever said that the guys are better choreographers than the women, I disagree.

The guys can cover the celeb woman's faults much easier than the women can cover the celeb guy's faults.

In dance, it is expected that the man leads. When the man is a celeb paired with a pro, their faults will be emphasized no matter how well the woman pro tries to cover. The celeb woman's faults will be forgiven if the choreo is done well.

I am so over the fake drama of Jenerk

Rob
10-27-2010, 05:12 PM
I saw SYTYCD alum - Mark was in Kylie Minogue's piece. In the Macy's piece, Nick Lazzarini was front and center, and I think I saw Adrian Lee (eliminated at home visit in S7), Channing Cooke, Ben Susak, and Jaimie Goodwin. Anyone else?