PDA

View Full Version : Staviski on Ilynyh/Katsalapov's skate in NHK

Pages : [1] 2 3 4

TAHbKA
10-25-2010, 04:25 PM
Ilinyh/Katsalapov lack self confidence (http://sport.rian.ru/sport/20101025/289161904.html)

2 times world champion Maxim Staviski who represented Bulgaria with Alena Denkova thinks the Russian pair Ilinyh/Katsalapov that finished 4th in the NHK are not yet skating like real professionals.

The first GP event - NHK Trophy finished on Sunday in Nagoya. Zhulin's students the 16y.o. Ilinyh and 19y.o Katsalapov debuted in the seniors competition and became 4th.

"I think Ilinyh and Katsalapov are technical skaters with decent programmes, who skate well and have a bright future", said Staviski during a phone talk with the RIA News journalist. "However, I see 2 problems. First of all they still skate like juniors. They lack self confidence and presentation. They don't express themselves as professionals.
The second problem - they need to learn some new lifts. Everything they do is good, but not interesting. They more or less copy the lifts of Zhulin's previous pupils - Navka/Kostomarov and they yet did not come up with anything new. I shall repeat - they are technically good and skate great".

Staviski called "a work process" the fact they received low technical grade for their free dance. "The low levels means Zhulin should open the rules book and sit with the stop watch, recalculate and measure everything. We used to do that after every competition" said the 2 times world champion.

"It's a normal thing to do", he continued "I'm sure they will clean the programmes after the competition and it won't happen again. The skaters themselves have to calculate everything and use the stop watch so they won't underhold or overhold the positions".

Staviski added that the subjective judging had it's part in the Japanese competition. "The caller has it's opition, but if you do everything 100% clean there is nothing the caller can do" he insisted.

Ilinyh/Katsalapov's lost to Shibutanis who the Russians beat in the last junior worlds Staviskii called a not important issue "There is no complete objectiveness in Figure Skating", he explained. "Today they lost, tomorrow they'll win".

According to Staviskii the Golden Walts which must be performed in the SD this year shouldn't be too hard for the young Russians

"They have good edges", he repeated again. "Their skating elements are good. The fact they are just out of juniors... well they are not the only ones, everyone goes though that stage and it's hard. The skaters have to learn alot of new things. But the learning possible and is necessary".

Staviskii used to work as Zhulin's assistance and is ready to help again with Ilinyh/Katsalapov. "I'm lacking time, but I can come and help. Think I can give some advice" he mentioned.

LadyNit
10-25-2010, 04:41 PM
Thanks for providing the interview TAHbKA. xoxo

caseyedwards
10-25-2010, 04:43 PM
Just being out of juniors didn't matter for the Shibutani's they won a medal and had a better debut than I/K. I/K not only need new lifts but better higher level lifts.

Thanks for translation.

barbk
10-25-2010, 04:46 PM
Staviski's analysis was spot on, imo. I'm still puzzled by why so many coaches & choreographers seem to not follow the picky little details in the rules that would enable their skaters to garner more points. (Or maybe they do, and the skaters just don't execute?)

MarieM
10-25-2010, 04:55 PM
Maybe because Igor's way it to make his students skate the same steps over and over again, never changing anything from one year to another ? Wich makes getting the levels too easy with some little adjustments ...
While the european coach change a LOT of what they make their students skate and have more trouble getting the levels, in season's beginning. By the end of the season, they usually get the same levels if not more levels ....
Different approach. One is gonna make ice dance die. The other isn't.$

Shibutanis are boring to death. Like any team coached by I&M.

manhn
10-25-2010, 04:59 PM
While the european coach change a LOT of what they make their students skate

Yeah, like I&K's lifts.

taf2002
10-25-2010, 05:06 PM
Shibutanis are boring to death. Like any team coached by I&M.

ALL I&M teams? No exceptions?

Coco
10-25-2010, 05:09 PM
I found I/K fascinating to watch, but I was struck by how little they looked at each other in the FD. Can't believe they are only 16 and 19.

Asli
10-25-2010, 05:18 PM
Staviski's analysis was spot on, imo. I'm still puzzled by why so many coaches & choreographers seem to not follow the picky little details in the rules that would enable their skaters to garner more points. (Or maybe they do, and the skaters just don't execute?)

IMO I/K lost levels on the two of their lifts because they didn't hold the position long enough. That's what Maxim is saying when he says Zhulin must work with the stopwatch.

There is nothing I/K can do about changing their own lifts. They are way, way too young to have a say in the choreography, so that is their coach's responsibility.

elif
10-25-2010, 05:48 PM
Yeah, like I&K's lifts.

they are trying but... :rolleyes:
Test skate (1.56)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OlnspvElPoU
NHK Trophy (2.44)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0WP3IUC8qjo

Tinami Amori
10-25-2010, 09:10 PM
Shibutanis are boring to death.

Shibutanis are not boring yet. They may be soon, but so far the two Sunshine Kids performed a clean charming LP, and have every disposition to be adored, now and in the near future, as cute panda-bears, Judy Garlands and Shirley Temples.

They have propensity to graduate to the “charms” of Doris Day, or Amilie or various Hollywood “feel good movies” of the 50’s or fairy tale story characters. But I don’t see them going past those type-casts due to their shape, form, personalities and relationship. We will never see a convincing Carmina Burana from them, or Turandot, or La Reine Margot….

I/K on the other hand will probably give us lots of drama and tension in their performances in the future........ not to mention as well soon they will give many American fans many head-aches as they start climbing up the podium...... :lol:

~tapdancer~
10-25-2010, 10:37 PM
I/K on the other hand will probably give us lots of drama and tension in their performances in the future........ not to mention as well soon they will give many American fans many head-aches as they start climbing up the podium...... :lol:I doubt that. We North Americans are quite used to the Russian ice dancers climbing on the podium. It's a very new thing for us to have the 1 and 2 ice dance teams, we're enjoying it!

Cherub721
10-25-2010, 10:49 PM
[URL="http://sport.rian.ru/sport/20101025/289161904.html"]
"I think Ilinyh and Katsalapov are technical skaters with decent programmes, who skate well and have a bright future", said Staviski during a phone talk with the RIA News journalist. "However, I see 2 problems. First of all they still skate like juniors. They lack self confidence and presentation. They don't express themselves as professionals.

TOTALLY disagree.

The second problem - they need to learn some new lifts. Everything they do is good, but not interesting. They more or less copy the lifts of Zhulin's previous pupils - Navka/Kostomarov and they yet did not come up with anything new. I shall repeat - they are technically good and skate great".

They wish their lifts were as good as N&K.

I guess Max is politiking to get on their team? That would be awesome if he and Albena would help them.

Tinami Amori
10-25-2010, 11:52 PM
It's a very new thing for us to have the 1 and 2 ice dance teams, we're enjoying it!

We Russians enjoying that too....:lol: Since it never happened for Americans until they got the Russian Coaches from Russian School of Ice Dancing.;)

genevieve
10-26-2010, 12:35 AM
TOTALLY disagree.

Which do you disagree with? That they have a bright future, or that they lack self-confidence/presenation and don't express themselves as professionals?

I don't think they lack self-confidence (at all), but they did come across as very juniorish. I thought the 'professionals' comment was a bit harsh, but that might be a translation issue (THANKS TAHbKA :cheer: ), and overall I agree with the sentiment.