PDA

View Full Version : President's Title Rant

Susan1
10-24-2010, 05:41 PM
Hi. Has anyone else noticed how many newspeople refer to the President as MR. Obama. I've heard it on local news and national news, most recently on CBS this past Saturday morning. Isn't his official title PRESIDENT Obama? Are they deliberately being disrespectful? They don't even call former presidents Mr. Whatever. Can you imagine them ever referring to them as Mr. Bush, Mr. Clinton, Mr Reagan or Mr. Carter while they were still in office???????????

Can someone forward this to every news station in the country????? LOL

barbk
10-24-2010, 05:50 PM
Journalistic copy editing standards at some prominent newspapers (NY Times, WSJ) have typically referred to elected officials or other people mentioned their stories as Mr., Mrs., Ms. once they've been identified by title. The exceptions are queens/kings, who are usually referred to by their given names (Juan Carlos, Elizabeth) and the Pope. The Mr. usage isn't a slam against Obama -- it is the way they have done it for a long time. (Even with evil doers: stories on Bernie Madoff still refer to him as Mr. Madoff.)

PDilemma
10-24-2010, 06:08 PM
Yeah. This has been standard practice forever and ever. And I do recall hearing news outlets refer to Mr. Bush and Mr. Clinton, etc...while those presidents were in office. No disrespect going on here.

Susan1
10-24-2010, 06:24 PM
Ooooooooooo-kay. I just can't EVER remember hearing it before, referring to another president (or former president).

FiveRinger
10-24-2010, 06:53 PM
I haven't been paying much attention to print because I usually watch the news. However, in press conferences and other events where the President is personally addressed, I've never heard him referred to as Mr. Obama. I always hear Mr. President or President Obama.

soxxy
10-24-2010, 09:02 PM
Yeah. This has been standard practice forever and ever. And I do recall hearing news outlets refer to Mr. Bush and Mr. Clinton, etc...while those presidents were in office. No disrespect going on here.

Absolutely. I'd like to find the New York Times "Guide to Copy Editing" (my title) on line, because, for example, I don't know why it refers to tennis players as "Miss Sharapova" or "Miss Williams" and other sports figures as simply, uh, "Kwan" :eek: after the initial, first, full name reference.

barbk
10-24-2010, 09:15 PM
Ooooooooooo-kay. I just can't EVER remember hearing it before, referring to another president (or former president).

Google is your friend:

http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&client=safari&rls=en&q=%22Mr.+Bush%22&aq=f&aqi=g1&aql=&oq=&gs_rfai=

http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&client=safari&rls=en&q=%22Mr.+Clinton%22&btnG=Search&aq=f&aqi=&aql=&oq=&gs_rfai=

vesperholly
10-24-2010, 10:29 PM
I work at a newspaper. General journalism practice is that first reference to any person uses their full title, eg President Barack Obama, Grand Poobah Sharpie, etc, and that all following references should be last name only. One exception would be if the story references people with the same last name. Some feature/light news stories will use first names, and minors are also referred to by first name unless they are an athlete or criminal.

The NY Times has its own long-standing tradition of courtesy titles (Mr, Mrs, Miss).