PDA

View Full Version : Project Runway ... PR8 Finale and the Aftermath (threads merged)

Pages : [1] 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17

Beefcake
10-23-2010, 09:49 PM
Carrying on

Beefcake
10-23-2010, 09:51 PM
Bwahahaha ... it's even funnier - and far phonier - than I'd remembered (survivorsucks.yuku.com/sreply/6583413/t/The-NEW-Project-Runway-thread-What-show-am-I-on-.html)

They're going to make me move back home with them and leave my partner and get married and beg for money on the street :rofl: and..."

What is he -- 16? Michael C's folks for Parents of the Year!

PDilemma
10-23-2010, 10:04 PM
Bwahahaha ... it's even funnier - and far phonier - than I'd remembered (survivorsucks.yuku.com/sreply/6583413/t/The-NEW-Project-Runway-thread-What-show-am-I-on-.html)

What is he -- 16? Michael C's folks for Parents of the Year!

If he is indeed Roma---the culture he grew up in--of arranged marriage and parental control-- would have conditioned him to at least think of the possibility of his parents doing or attempting to do such things. Until I hear that he absolutely certainly is not, I can't really mock him.

PrincessLeppard
10-23-2010, 10:15 PM
I was going to say, that's right out of the Roma culture, including the begging. I remember about ten years ago, Miss Italy (I think?) was Romani, and her parents pressured her to give it up and return to begging. She did. :(

PDilemma
10-23-2010, 10:19 PM
I was going to say, that's right out of the Roma culture, including the begging. I remember about ten years ago, Miss Italy (I think?) was Romani, and her parents pressured her to give it up and return to begging. She did. :(

The evidence is pretty strong that he is Roma. And I just can't mock that part of his response due to that. It may seem strange or even funny to us in mainstream American culture where no parents would even think of such things, but those are not bizarre ideas in that culture.

DickButtonFan
10-23-2010, 11:34 PM
Didn't he design for celebs and he did get far in the show so why would that be seen as failure to his family? Doesn't really make sense.

Aceon6
10-23-2010, 11:37 PM
Didn't he design for celebs and he did get far in the show so why would that be seen as failure to his family? Doesn't really make sense.

If he is Roma, to them, he denying their culture, and as the son, denying his responsibility for the family. Not every culture believes in raising children to leave the nest.

PDilemma
10-23-2010, 11:40 PM

It sounds like they strongly object to his homosexuality. So they very well may identify a career in fashion with that part of him. It sounds as if they are not going to ever really approve of his career choice at all--but have given him the idea at least that real fame would make them back off a bit.

Beefcake
10-24-2010, 01:26 AM
Oh my, I've underestimated the power of embellishment. All this talk of "Roma" and "children". I see Michael Costello as "not" a child, but 27 years-old. Someone who has been on his own for a long while and apparently has a successful business. And I do not see any confirmation that he is/was "Roma". And in fact it seems plain old "Greek" is what he's called himself. And even if he was "Roma", Michael C is not a first or even second generation Roma. Ergo, less "in the soup". And, again, he's 27 years-old and hasn't lived under his family's roof in a long time.

Remove the "Roma" mystique, and look at this "breakdown" with new eyes. It's hilarious. It's uncomfortable. It's phony. It's uncomfortably hilariously phoney.

As a gay man of a certain age, I have known hundreds of Michael Costellos. Take it from me -- he is All. About. The. Drama.

PDilemma
10-24-2010, 01:34 AM
Oh my, I've underestimated the power of embellishment. All this talk of "Roma" and "children". I see Michael Costello as "not" a child, but 27 years-old. Someone who has been on his own for a long while and apparently has a successful business. And I do not see any confirmation that he is/was "Roma". And in fact it seems plain old "Greek" is what he's called himself. And even if he was "Roma", Michael C is not a first or even second generation Roma. Ergo, less "in the soup". And, again, he's 27 years-old and hasn't lived under his family's roof in a long time.

Remove the "Roma" mystique, and look at this "breakdown" with new eyes. It's hilarious. It's uncomfortable. It's phony. It's uncomfortably hilariously phoney.

As a gay man of a certain age, I have seen hundreds of Michael Costellos. Take it from me -- he is All. About. The. Drama.

Are you trying to get a post to appear on The Blog of Unnecessary Quotation Marks? Or do you actually think that the Roma are not real?

He said he came from a culture that practices arranged marriage and was married in one at age 18. That's not a Greek custom that I have ever heard of. There are many groups of Roma in the United States still practicing their own culture in relatively closed communities. If you think that is not true, I would suggest you do a bit of research. While you're at it, you'll probably discover that in Europe, they were the second largest victim group of the Holocaust; that in France, they were just this month expelled and ordered deported from the country en masse, and that the common cultural stereotype of them for centuries has been exactly the kind of accusations that Ivy threw at Michael throughout the competition and that Peach's infamous interview hinted at--that they are duplicitous, dishonest, cheaters and thieves.

manleywoman
10-24-2010, 01:47 AM
Why as a culture would you want to beg if you can get a better paying gig?

uyeahu
10-24-2010, 01:53 AM
I gotta go with Beefcake on this one. Regardless of whether or not he is Roma, that "breakdown" put me in mind of children who don't get their way and will cry crocodile tears and "hyperventilate" until someone gives in and gives them what they want. It seemed to me like he was hoping the producers would have a change of heart if he carried on and made things uncomfortable enough. What I don't understand is why he carried on that way about not being able to go to fashion week. He had to already know he would be showing his collection regardless of the judges decision. All the judges decision meant was that he wasn't up for the big prize.

ETA: Regardless of his behavior, the judges decision was shit. Gretchen's collection does not belong on a fashion week runway. As the Project Rungay guys said, her collection is depression in dress form. Michael may not have been blazing any design trails with his work, but it was at least expensive looking and something someone somewhere might want to buy.

DickButtonFan
10-24-2010, 01:59 AM
Why as a culture would you want to beg if you can get a better paying gig?

I guess that's what I was trying to get at. If he's been so successful with his carreer why would he have to beg?

I dunno I think it's all too weird now. I rewatched the end and I didn't see tears.

And if he has to follow these customs he hasn't been all this time... so what is he afraid of? Its not like they can come and get him.

PDilemma
10-24-2010, 02:03 AM
ETA: Regardless of his behavior, the judges decision was shit. Gretchen's collection does not belong on a fashion week runway. As the Project Rungay guys said, her collection is depression in dress form. Michael may not have been blazing any design trails with his work, but it was at least expensive looking and something someone somewhere might want to buy.

Agreed. I am scratching my head at how Gretchen spent $9000 on that pile of dreck. And I think all the people all over the internet who are saying it belongs at Sears or other mall stores are insulting the mall!

I'm not debating the breakdown, by the way. I'm just not going to laugh at the fears Michael expresses about his parents which may very well be related to the culture he comes from. You can think he was being melodramatic in his behavior without suggesting that Romani culture is nonexistent as Beefcake seems to be doing.

BigB08822
10-24-2010, 02:56 AM
I felt bad for Michael but all I kept saying to my boyfriend during the whole breakdown was "crocodile tears." During most of the shots, including the interview, he was seen having a breakdown but not one tear was streaming down his face. I call bullshit. This is coming from a fan of his and someone who wanted badly for him to make the final 3, especially over that so called collection from Gretchen. Haven't we heard that Michael was all over the producers from the beginning, acting as if he was hell bent on getting his own show out of all of this? Drama would be the best way to go, take a look at any reality show and who gets a spin off? The drama queens!