PDA

View Full Version : A decorating-for-sale question

Pages : [1] 2

immoimeme
10-20-2010, 05:10 AM
Looking over THE PLAN, I notice that the realtor said for the dining room "Do not paper walls. Find a burgundyish color paint in a matte(?) finish."

Now I dunno about you, but I have looked at enough real estate photos to know that burgundy walls look like sh*t in a photo, let alone up close. I also know I myself would prefer to dine in a room that did not resemble a restaurant.

I have some perfectly neutral wallpaper that I think would be better than burgundy paint. It has a print so tiny you don't even notice it. It is an unblecherous shade of beige with tiny bits of white.

If you had to choose between the two, because that is all there frickin' is to choose from (ahem), which would you choose?

milanessa
10-20-2010, 05:27 AM
If you had to choose between the two, because that is all there frickin' is to choose from (ahem), which would you choose?

Why are those the only choices? ;)

made_in_canada
10-20-2010, 05:30 AM
Probably the burgundy paint because it would be easier to change ;) No one likes removing wallpaper :scream:

Why can't you paint a more neutral colour?

JumpinBug
10-20-2010, 06:10 AM
Yeah, no wallpaper. Neutral paint. I'd take ugly paint over wallpaper any day.

vesperholly
10-20-2010, 09:08 AM
Hell no to a matte burgundy room. I painted one wall in my living room burgundy and I love it, but a) it's my house and b) it's friggin' impossible to paint over. I needed 3 coats (with a gray primer) just to make it fully solid.

Find a nice "toast" colored beige or warm light gray. Neutral but not boring, non-offensive and easy to paint over. Get eggshell or satin finish, too.

Maybe the realtor doesn't know the difference between burgundy and beige?!

Auntie
10-20-2010, 11:06 AM
No wallpaper and no burgundy. Your wallpaper might be neutral but many people shy away from houses with wallpaper because it is a total pain to remove. Take down the wallpaper and paint a boring beige, tan, latte color.

It's surprising how many people can't see the forest for the trees when they are house hunting. They see some little thing they don't like about a house and they cross the house off their list. It never occurs to them that they might be able to inexpensively fix the thing that bothers them.

immoimeme
10-20-2010, 12:58 PM
Alright. I have some leftover beige paint that I can mix with white paint to make enough to paint the dining room a nice boring beige(ish).

Now, what about using that wallpaper in the very small hall? Which honestly needs something like wallpaper to hide all its sins. Do you think THAT would turn people off?

immoimeme
10-20-2010, 01:01 PM
Why are those the only choices? ;)Because the money- such as it is :P -is going to have to be spent on the electrician and the plumber, not on the paint. I have to work with what I have, which is 2 rolls of that wallpaper and leftover paint. Oh the joy :(

mikey
10-20-2010, 01:27 PM
Do you think THAT would turn people off?No wallpaper. Even if it looks good, wallpaper is a dirty word in the real estate market right now. Don't risk losing a potential buyer.

Aceon6
10-20-2010, 01:29 PM
I'd ask the realtor who the target market is for your house. If it's people with small kids, go for a neutral, durable paint that's not too light so that it will hide light stains. Matte is a no no around small kids... eggshell or semi will work better. If it's people with older kids, use a more contemporary color and go flatter. If it's dinks (double income, no kids), it probably doesn't matter.

Norlite
10-20-2010, 01:41 PM
I agree with everyone else. Even though wallpaper is the biggest trend in decorating right now, 99.9% of your potential buyers are not going to be trendy, and they are not going to be able to visualize, or be able to see a simple style change in the grand scheme of things, as Auntie noted. Stick to neutral paint if you want to sell.

A little story, ;) when I bought my latest house, the previous owners had one wall in the living room painted in stripes. 4 different colours, two shades of green, a darker beige, and a taupey colour. It really was horrible. My real estate agent sort of wanted to prepare me before I walked in the room. he told me most walked out of the house after seeing it and on to the next. I'm sure that one wall and every other potential buyer's reation to it is what got me 10 thou off the asking price, and it took me half a day to paint over. The previous owners even left the leftover taupe paint that the rest of the room was painted in, so it cost me nothing extra.

I like to think I make 10 thousand dollars for that half a day's work.

GarrAarghHrumph
10-20-2010, 02:56 PM
Alright. I have some leftover beige paint that I can mix with white paint to make enough to paint the dining room a nice boring beige(ish).

Now, what about using that wallpaper in the very small hall? Which honestly needs something like wallpaper to hide all its sins. Do you think THAT would turn people off?

Yes, it would. Wallpaper is something you want to avoid if at all possible. Thus my next question: exactly what "sins" are you talking about? We may be able to help you hide them in other ways.

You may be able to expand your paint (and wall repair) choices in unexpected ways, at no cost. Ask your family, friends, and neighbors if they have any old, neutral color paint that you can use in your house. You can also ask about things like spackle, if it's needed. A lot of people keep old paint in their homes, and many might be willing to let you have it.

If you have any cash at all - say, $5 - go to the local hardware and paint stores, including The Home Depot, and see what they have for "oops" paint. I painted my dining room with $5 Ralph Lauren "oops" paint.

immoimeme
10-20-2010, 05:36 PM
The realtor said we would market this house to first-time home buyers-young people who most likely don't have kids (yet). She told me to hide all the "grandma" stuff and you all are right: this wallpaper, which I like, is too grandma for young people. I can't think like young people any more, so I thank you all for your input and insights! :-)

Ah, the sins of the small hall. Where to start LOL

Mostly it is where we removed the old closet. There is a glaring gap between two walls that is not going to be easy to hide where it will be repaired. OMG. I just realized I can hideously hide it-there is one sheet of cheap wood paneling up in the loft! Paint it white,er, BEIGE, and chalk it up to "well it IS an old house and eys, there IS some random funkiness here and there" --eys, that might work. Because there is nothing to be done about the old defunct gas pipe protruding from the wall, except that I have determined it will a) make a great place to hand your guitar from, or b) become the next great place to hang the mop from.

Other sins: seasonal cracks that no amount of spackle can ever hide, a funky wall plate that seems to serve no purpose whatsoever, the remains of the old attic access door, and a large chunk of dark wood at ceiling height that no one wants to remove because we are all convinced it is holding the house together.

The rest of the small hall consists of a telephone niche, door trim, and two closets (that mercifully need nothing done to them!). You do often pass thru this hall but it is always a quick passage-there is not much reason to linger here beyond hanging up your coat or fishing something out the drawers.

I do have one gallon of OOPS paint from Lowes-it is a not unpleasant dark green that matches the flooring in the kitchen and one of the bathrooms. I have no idea why I bought it because it is flat paint, and I never use flat paint, always eggshell for walls and semi-gloss for trim. Other than that, I have one gal Kilz, one gal white, two quarts true blue (they were free), two half full quarts of beige, 1/2 gal the original beige (which is what the bedrooms are), 1/2 gal semi-gloss white, and 3/4 gal a very very faint yellow (looks more like sand). And wallpaper! I do have wallpaper! And that's it. Fall cleanup has come and gone, no one has free paint to share.

DORISPULASKI
10-20-2010, 06:17 PM
Anyone who has any children or pets, or would like to have children or pets, avoids wallpaper like the witch's evil eye.

1. You can't wash stains off it.
2. Your cat (and perhaps kids) will scratch holes in it. There is no easy way to patch or cover this.
3. Painting over it does not works as well as painting over paint.
4. Taking it off is a true pain.

Burgundy paint does look like an old restaurant. Or Upstate New York Italianate decorating from the 1980's.

As to the hall, if you edge out your piece of soon-to-be painted panelling with some simple moldings and trims from Home Depot, this could actually turn into a feature of the house (Old Saying: If you can't fix it, feature it!)
As to the gas pipe, people who have never seen one are actually interested and amused by them. Yes, you can hang things on it. A purse on a long strap would work, because it's on the way out the door.

barbk
10-20-2010, 06:43 PM
Agreed with everyone else on the wallpaper. Our first home had it in virtually every room, and I can't begin to tell you how many hours we sweated to get rid of it. (The gold flocked wall paper! The foil Peter Max paper! The vinyl naugahyde! It all brings back memories, none of them good.)

But on the paint front: while burgundy seems way too dark and intense, I'd be careful about beige. I like to paint a large posterboard with the target color and prop them up around the room so you can see the effect in day and in night. Too many beige colors look deadly at night -- but a real cafe au lait might look lovely. We ended up going with a pale butter color in an otherwise rather dark room, and it improved the warmth of the room rather dramatically, especially at night. People say, "what a lovely room," though they never mention the paint color, and that is all I changed. (It was an off-white at the grayish end of the spectrum.)