PDA

View Full Version : Car Insurance question

BigB08822
10-15-2010, 12:43 AM
I was in an accident about 3 weeks ago. It has taken a while to get everything to the point of getting an estimate because the girl who hit me refuses to talk. Thank goodness for police reports, but I digress. Anyway, I go on the 25th to get an estimate and they said to bring license, registration information and insurance. It does not say it is required but it says to bring it to "speed up the process." My question is about my registration. It has expired. Is there any way the insurance can refuse to pay? Louisiana only requires insurance in order to receive payment, they call it "no pay no play." Can the insurance company make up its own rules? I just fear that they will look for ANY reason to not pay, as insurance companies often do. Just curious if anyone has dealt with this situation before or maybe works in car insurance. Thanks.

Aussie Willy
10-15-2010, 01:32 AM
Had the registration expired at the time of the crash?

BigB08822
10-15-2010, 02:00 AM
Yes, it has been expired. I did not get a ticket for it and the question of registration has never come up during the process. I may not even be asked for it, I haven't been in previous accident estimates but you never know.

Aussie Willy
10-15-2010, 03:04 AM
Unless it is mentioned then don't bring it up. How long had it been expired for?

In the meantime I would suggest organise to get the registration paid as soon as possible so you have it up to date.

randyolson
11-01-2010, 01:23 PM
Donít take a chance on the registration and pay it right away so that it doesnít show as expired in your records. You are right in being apprehensive. Your car records are going to be checked thoroughly before your car insurance (http://hartfordauto.thehartford.com) claim is processed.

BigB08822
11-01-2010, 03:26 PM
Well it turns out they never even asked. I did a lot of research and they can't deny your claim because of registration. I can't remember all the details but basically registration boils down to a traffic violation at most, insurance can't do anything about it.