PDA

View Full Version : Sister Wives

Pages : [1] 2 3 4

FiveRinger
10-14-2010, 07:10 PM
I'm surprised that there isn't a thread already about this. I saw them first on the Today show. They are scheduled to be on Oprah today. I've been watching the show on TLC and I am really fascinated, for a lot of different reasons. I'll just leave off here and open this up for discussion.

http://www.people.com/people/article/0,,20433952,00.html

mysticchic
10-14-2010, 08:07 PM
This guy must be one heck of a con man. Looks like when he gets bored of one wife he gets another. Or these women have really low self esteem issues. He's not even good looking.

StonewshMullet
10-14-2010, 08:25 PM
I don't think so. He was married to just those three for a long time. Personally I think its kinda a good deal, only having to deal with husband stuff once or twice a week sounds pretty good.

bobalina77
10-14-2010, 09:51 PM
Or these women have really low self esteem issues. He's not even good looking.

This is what I think. I haven't watched it, but there was one preview where one of the women said about the new girlfriend "well he deserves to have someone cute" and one of the others is like "wait.. I'm cute!". The one who said she was cute is also the one with the jealousy issues from the latest preview.. not sure how happy she is lol!

Norlite
10-14-2010, 10:01 PM
Ugh.

Matryeshka
10-14-2010, 11:31 PM
I am admitting up front that I do not watch the show, but the entire premise fills me with righteous feminist anger. :mad: :mad: Polygamy is ILLEGAL. How is it legal for TLC to film it? And I don't want to hear it's a victim less crime--I had two friends that were escapee children from a polygamous marriage and both are screwed up beyond belief. I don't care what face they put on it or how happy they make it sound or how they twist it to where, really, it's the women who benefit and the poooor man has to take care of multiple wives--such a martyr. Cry me a Salt Lake river.* :rolleyes:

*I do know that mainstream LDS Mormons do actively condemn and some actively fight against polygamous marriages, but there are a lot of crazy off-shoot "Mormons" in that area that claim they are the ones practicing true Mormonism*

heckles
10-15-2010, 01:09 AM
*I do know that mainstream LDS Mormons do actively condemn and some actively fight against polygamous marriages, but there are a lot of crazy off-shoot "Mormons" in that area that claim they are the ones practicing true Mormonism*

It's a common overstatement to say the LDS "actively condemn" polygyny. It's still a tenant of the LDS faith, promoted in the Doctrine and Covenants, Article 132. The Law of Abraham states that a woman who isn't agreeable to her husband taking an extra wife will be killed by God. What the LDS did to achieve statehood for Utah and to call off the federal government's dogs was suspend the practice while on Earth, as long as it's illegal in the US. In the afterlife, when a "worthy" man becomes a god on his own planet, he gets to stock it with extra wives. If the US decriminalized polygyny, you can bet your sacred underwear that Donny Osmond would be getting extra tail.

I find it very interesting indeed that the Mormons who openly practice the original tenants of the faith are often considered the "off-shoots".

skatemommy
10-15-2010, 01:27 PM
Sorry but have to ask, is he one of those that considers the teen girls fair game? That disgusts me to no end of the earth. I don't care if these women want to play house but if they let their girls marry him too it is beyond evil.

Andora
10-15-2010, 02:53 PM
Sorry but have to ask, is he one of those that considers the teen girls fair game? That disgusts me to no end of the earth. I don't care if these women want to play house but if they let their girls marry him too it is beyond evil.

From all accounts, they don't seem to be like that. At least they're not presenting this kind of image.

I've watched on and off out of morbid curiosity. I have to admit, the polygamy thing aside, they're a pretty normal family. There was a discussion where one of his daughters talked about wanting to go to the Naval Academy, and her dad said she'd have to stay in public school, not their registered home school, if that's what she wanted. I was honestly a little bit impressed that they were encouraging her in something big and that they didn't try to keep her in the polygamist-friendly home school. The parents keep saying their kids are free to chose to not follow their lifestyle. Of course, who knows if this is just for show or not.

But then later in the episode, his first wife asked how he'd feel if she or one of the wives had another husband, and he went on about the "vulgarity" of it. The feminist in me was mad, again. There's a whole host of problematic things that come up, no matter how normal they try to portray themselves.

It's interesting, I guess, but it's not changed my mind on polygamy.

skatesindreams
10-15-2010, 03:57 PM
I wonder if they will allow their children to learn about the many people who believe that their lives were negatively affected by polygamy.

FiveRinger
10-15-2010, 04:05 PM
From all accounts, they don't seem to be like that. At least they're not presenting this kind of image.

I've watched on and off out of morbid curiosity. I have to admit, the polygamy thing aside, they're a pretty normal family. There was a discussion where one of his daughters talked about wanting to go to the Naval Academy, and her dad said she'd have to stay in public school, not their registered home school, if that's what she wanted. I was honestly a little bit impressed that they were encouraging her in something big and that they didn't try to keep her in the polygamist-friendly home school. The parents keep saying their kids are free to chose to not follow their lifestyle. Of course, who knows if this is just for show or not.

But then later in the episode, his first wife asked how he'd feel if she or one of the wives had another husband, and he went on about the "vulgarity" of it. The feminist in me was mad, again. There's a whole host of problematic things that come up, no matter how normal they try to portray themselves.

It's interesting, I guess, but it's not changed my mind on polygamy.

This is how I got hooked into watching this show. The fact that, outwardly, the family appears to be so normal. And happier than many of the monogamous (all I know are monogamous married people) people that I know. It's so curious because of all of the contradictions.

All of the wives entered this lifestyle willingly, and yet they admit to jealousies that they have of each other. Yet all of the wives are great friends. The hypocrisy of the husband and his "ability to fall in love repeatedly" and the "vulgarity" that he feels when he thinks about any of his wives with another woman is crazy. But, they seem to make it work.

I don't agree with polygamy. Please don't misundersand. It's not my choice. I have had a lot of preconceived notions about polygamy before watching this show, all of them bad. But, having watched this show, I've been enlightened a little, which I appreciate.

skatingfan5
10-15-2010, 04:07 PM
I wonder if they will allow their children to learn about the many people who believe that their lives were negatively affected by polygamy.Well, one of the "sister wives" has had her life "negatively affected" by polygamy very recently -- she was terminated from her job because of the TV show (and planned appearance on Oprah). I saw part of Oprah last night, and she was having a hard time talking about that. She was someone who grew up in a polygamous family herself, so I guess she knew what she was getting into. And although it seemed that the three "sister wives" who had been together for quite a while were happy with their way of life (all were in their 20's when they became "wives"), I got the feeling that adding wife #4 has caused some friction -- especially since she doesn't live in the same house as the other three, and has children from a previous marriage. But I could be wrong, as I fell asleep shortly after she was introduced -- and thus missed the husband's disgust about the idea of one of his wives taking another husband.

Yet all of the wives are great friends. The hypocrisy of the husband and his "ability to fall in love repeatedly" and the "vulgarity" that he feels when he thinks about any of his wives with another woman is crazy. But, they seem to make it work.Did they really talk about that possibility?!?:wideeyes:

FiveRinger
10-15-2010, 04:39 PM
^^On the last show, where he was celebrating his 20 year anniversary with his first wife, they were talking about how he would feel if she had another husband or boyfriend. His wife was trying to make him understand what it feels like to share your spouse and she told him to imagine that she had another husband. His response was that he couldn't even think about it, the idea of her having another man in her life was vulgar, and admitted that it was hypocritical, but he couldn't handle it.

skatingfan5
10-15-2010, 04:49 PM
^^On the last show, where he was celebrating his 20 year anniversary with his first wife, they were talking about how he would feel if she had another husband or boyfriend. His wife was trying to make him understand what it feels like to share your spouse and she told him to imagine that she had another husband. His response was that he couldn't even think about it, the idea of her having another man in her life was vulgar, and admitted that it was hypocritical, but he couldn't handle it.That's what I thought they were going to bring up -- so your post with the hypothetical of one of his wives being involved with another woman kind of threw me.

heckles
10-15-2010, 05:49 PM
Did they really talk about that possibility?!?:wideeyes:

On Sister Wives and on Oprah, Kody and the wives dismissed the possibility of the wives being with each other and/or in a threesome by saying they don't "go weird".