PDA

View Full Version : NBC Skating Commentators Announced: Return of Terry Gannon

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 [8] 9

viennese
11-10-2010, 04:57 PM
I've been quite impressed by Michael Weiss's commenting/pbp - he's much more low key than most sports analysts. He generally keeps his insights on the subjects of technical/choreographic/competitive mindset.

I also enjoy Tanith Belbin. Yes, she talks more than our beloved Susie Wynne, but she's convinced me that she's up on the rules, and she seems to have a slightly irreverent sense of humor.

I knew we had a winning team in Belbin/Andrea Joyce/Terry Gannon when Tanith fell apart, giggling, at the Italian dance team's one-arm/grip-and-grin lift.

HisWeirness
11-17-2010, 02:59 PM
NBC Commentary team for Grand Prix Final broadcast (Dec. 12):

Commentators: Terry Gannon, Scott Hamilton, Tara Lipinski
http://www.nbcumv.com/mediavillage/networks/nbcsports/pressreleases?pr=contents/press-releases/2010/11/16/sportseventsonn1289943481820.xml

RD
11-17-2010, 03:01 PM
Scott & Tara??

Oh boy.

museksk8r
11-17-2010, 05:21 PM
oooooooh, SHOWDOWN or SMACKDOWN! :EVILLE::lynch::P

More than likely they won't be in the booth at the same time though. Scott for men, Tara for ladies, and I don't know how they'll divide the pairs and dance.

John 3 17
11-21-2010, 06:38 AM
So, this weekend I've been catching up with the season and watching all my dvds. Here's my thoughts:

Andrea Joyce: :scream: Her ageist remarks about P/T at NHK were unbelievable. All she does is girl-talk with whomever her co-worker is and she interrogated Peter about why he was remided of Katia Gordeeva. Ugh. She also comes off as a major know-it-all and I noticed once that Peter ignored her question completely because it was so annoying.

Terry, imo, was rude about Zhang. "Can't go home again" when all the girl wants is to have fun on the ice like when she was 13? What a rude thing to say! Just because Zhang isn't 13 doesn't mean she can't recapture that joy. Once her technique is solid, she'll feel wonderfully confident again.

Tara truly is all about "me, me, me, I, I, I", who cares, Tara! Plus what a know-it-all. At the end of Kanako's FS at NHK, Tara said, "she is thinking, 'my idol Mao is here and while I didn't skate very well, I have a chance'" (paraphrasing of course), like she's in her head. She could've said "I think she is thinking", but no. Plus she has to point out when someone falls, uh, yeah, Tara, we all recognize that! Her voice drives me crazy, too. Tara talked all through the ladies free from Cup of Russia, too. She doesn't let you have your own thoughts as she jumps to tell you what her impressions are.

Tanith at first was great, but I can't really take her seriously when she commentates on D/W, conflict of interest. Chris Dean commentated during the Ducheney's career, I know, but it bugs me.

I ended up putting it on mute almost the whole show...

-Bridget

emason
11-21-2010, 03:53 PM
Andrea Joyce: :scream: Her ageist remarks about P/T at NHK were unbelievable. All she does is girl-talk with whomever her co-worker is and she interrogated Peter about why he was remided of Katia Gordeeva. Ugh. She also comes off as a major know-it-all and I noticed once that Peter ignored her question completely because it was so annoying.

Terry, imo, was rude about Zhang. "Can't go home again" when all the girl wants is to have fun on the ice like when she was 13? What a rude thing to say! Just because Zhang isn't 13 doesn't mean she can't recapture that joy. Once her technique is solid, she'll feel wonderfully confident again.

-Bridget

Andrea Joyce is an embarrassment; she seems to think Mishin's name is Mishkin and she can't seem to tell the difference in the pronunciation of Alena vs. Aliona.

As for Saint Terry, he is the most boring and unknowledgeable of commentators going. He can disappear from my screen any time soon and I won't miss him one bit. How many years has he been covering skating now and he still knows nothing about the sport.

acraven
11-21-2010, 06:31 PM
Andrea Joyce is an embarrassment; she seems to think Mishin's name is Mishkin and she can't seem to tell the difference in the pronunciation of Alena vs. Aliona.

I'll grant you that "Mishkin" is clearly wrong, but I think someone with a Russian connection said some time ago that the second vowel in Leonova's first name is , so her name is really pronounced like Savchenko's--i.e., "Aliona". It seems that when Leonova's name was transliterated for her ISU records, no distinction was made between the Cyrillic e (pronounced like English "ye") and the Cyrillic (prounounced rather like English "yo"). So it would be correct to say "Aliona", but given the ISU spelling it's also understable that many commentators say "Alena".

hiwvw
11-21-2010, 09:04 PM
I love to hear his voice. so far he was in three GP event.

Meredith
11-21-2010, 11:23 PM
I've been quite impressed by Michael Weiss's commenting/pbp - he's much more low key than most sports analysts. He generally keeps his insights on the subjects of technical/choreographic/competitive mindset.

What I have enjoyed most about Michael Weiss, is not only his focus on the skaters we are all seeing, but the tenor of his voice. He does not shout over the music and break our concentration. You can listen to him or tune him out. How refreshing!

emason
11-22-2010, 12:44 AM
I'll grant you that "Mishkin" is clearly wrong, but I think someone with a Russian connection said some time ago that the second vowel in Leonova's first name is , so her name is really pronounced like Savchenko's--i.e., "Aliona". It seems that when Leonova's name was transliterated for her ISU records, no distinction was made between the Cyrillic e (pronounced like English "ye") and the Cyrillic (prounounced rather like English "yo"). So it would be correct to say "Aliona", but given the ISU spelling it's also understable that many commentators say "Alena".

OK, we'll split the difference on this one.

kittyjake5
11-23-2010, 01:33 PM
I like Michael Weiss and Tanith. IMO They both project to the general audience that they actually know something about skating. I think they are doing a good job and they will get more proficient with a little more experience.

John 3 17
11-24-2010, 03:37 AM
I'm correcting myself here: it was actually Terry who (I felt) interrogated Peter, not Andrea. She's still awful though and Terry's no saint ;)

Michael Weiss rocks! He was so quiet that I actually said out loud, "You could tell us that that was a triple axel" (not that we wouldn't know, but the general audience). He was great and I agree that if one wants to, one can tune him out easily. I also liked what he did actually to say when he said anything at all.

-Bridget :)

Allen
11-24-2010, 07:57 PM
I'm correcting myself here: it was actually Terry who (I felt) interrogated Peter, not Andrea. She's still awful though and Terry's no saint ;)

Michael Weiss rocks! He was so quiet that I actually said out loud, "You could tell us that that was a triple axel" (not that we wouldn't know, but the general audience). He was great and I agree that if one wants to, one can tune him out easily. I also liked what he did actually to say when he said anything at all.

Oh, I love Terry...even if he's an interrogator :)

I hate to admit it, but Weiss is a pretty decent commentator. I guess it's along the lines of Tara, I like their commentating way more than their skating.

John 3 17
11-24-2010, 11:38 PM
Oh, I love Terry...even if he's an interrogator :)

I hate to admit it, but Weiss is a pretty decent commentator. I guess it's along the lines of Tara, I like their commentating way more than their skating.

LOL, as for Tara, as much as I disliked her skating, I prefer it to her awful commentary! Talk, talk, talk, about me, me, me. :rolleyes:

Allen
11-25-2010, 12:42 AM
LOL, as for Tara, as much as I disliked her skating, I prefer it to her awful commentary! Talk, talk, talk, about me, me, me. :rolleyes:

I haven't heard Tara this season because I've been on Ice Network, but I thought was fine last year.