PDA

View Full Version : NBC Skating Commentators Announced: Return of Terry Gannon

Pages : 1 2 [3] 4 5 6 7 8 9

Polymer Bob
10-15-2010, 03:50 PM
I don't remember where it was, but I seem to recall Katarina Witt doing a fair job at commentary.

yossalu
10-15-2010, 04:09 PM
I'd prefer Paul Wylie to Michael Weiss, but I do think Weiss has really grown and improved as an analyst. But having Terry back and at least temporarily getting rid of Sandra (crossing my fingers it is a permanent move, though I doubt the skate gods would be so kind to me) is just music to my ears.

Fergus
10-15-2010, 06:42 PM
Terry!!! :cheer2:

I wonder if the dude knows how much we skatin' freaks love him. :lol:

I just love that unlike some commentators (I'm looking at YOU, Tom Hammond), Terry actually looked/sounded like he (1) did his prep work, (2) attempted correct name pronounciation, and (3) basically acted like he gave a genuine crap. :D

Frau Muller
10-15-2010, 09:13 PM
Great News #1: TERRY and TARA

Great News #2: No Sandra Bezik!

but...Where's Johnny???? Johnny was the best freakin' part of the commentating team for Worlds 2011. I like Micheal Weiss but Johnny was spectacular.

Cheylana
10-15-2010, 10:01 PM
Great News #1: TERRY and TARA

Great News #2: No Sandra Bezik!

but...Where's Johnny???? Johnny was the best freakin' part of the commentating team for Worlds 2011. I like Micheal Weiss but Johnny was spectacular.
Well, Johnny only did the loft segment at Worlds, and not the play-by-play commentary, right? I'm assuming there won't be a loft for the GP series, but maybe Nationals?

Carolla5501
10-17-2010, 12:54 AM
You win some :) and you lose some :(

Thrilled Terry is back

Not thrilled that Tara is back. She didn't impress me at all too much "it's all about me" IMHO.

And to defend Tom Hammond... I once sat next to him on a flight. He did do prep work. It just wasn't his strong sport, but he worked on being prepared. I didn't really like him, but it's more the "style" of his voice that got to me...

birdgal
10-17-2010, 04:23 AM
Welcome back, Terry! Still, the fun of hearing Gannon was always how he would put Button in his place whenever he would go off on one of his long-winded and :huh: tangents. :lol: I wish Susie Wynne would return, but less Scott and Sandra can only be a good thing. Hopefully, Tara will limit talking about herself the way she did during the Worlds broadcast. I'm not familiar with Michael's work behind the mic, but he can't be worse than Scott or Peter.

For some reason, I think Weiss will be okay. Great to have Gannon back.

orbitz
10-17-2010, 02:07 PM
I wonder if the dude knows how much we skatin' freaks love him. :lol:

Maybe U.S. fans attending the GP events can make banners declaring luv for Gannon? :)

Terry and Dick ...and Peggy too ... made a great team. I felt bad for Dick when he commented with Sandra and Scott for NBC; He seemed like a 3rd wheel among them.

orbitz
10-17-2010, 02:09 PM
Not thrilled that Tara is back. She didn't impress me at all too much "it's all about me" IMHO.

Kurt was like that also. It was all about "me, me, me". "When I was competing ...." I haven't seen him commentating that much so I'm not sure if he has improved.

RD
10-17-2010, 03:39 PM
I don't remember where it was, but I seem to recall Katarina Witt doing a fair job at commentary.

IIRC she was used as a sideline reporter at Nationals on ABC a few years back. I didn't really think it was her strong suit- she didn't look very comfortable and I can't really blame her to be honest (with English not being her first language, etc.)...Not too sure why ABC had her in the first place...I think Lisa Gurerro(sp?) was the interviewer. Maybe they wanted to throw in some eye candy for us guys? *shrugs* oh well, I think the fewer reporters that are present, the smoother the broadcast flows.

Reuven
10-17-2010, 10:39 PM
Also, what happened to Peggy Flaming?
:rofl: Lurves it!!
Glad to see Terry back. I remember when he started with skating. I wondered how a basketball announcer was going to work out. And we all know how that turned out. The man does his homework, learned about the sport, and became one of the best commentators skating has had. Also, his verbal elbows to Dick’s ribs were always amusing. :)

barbk
10-18-2010, 12:06 AM
That is surprising (and very pleasant) news. Did he jump networks entirely? Is he still working for ESPN?

I hope this morphs into something regular for him that would end up with him playing a role in the Olympic coverage.
Next: Can they bring some of the great ABC camera crew on-board so that we get better shots of the whole skater, and not so many shots that fail to show the skates?

AJ Skatefan
10-18-2010, 12:59 AM
That is surprising (and very pleasant) news. Did he jump networks entirely? Is he still working for ESPN?

As of a month ago Terry Gannon was still on ESPN. He did commentary for the WNBA playoffs.

kwanette
10-18-2010, 01:39 AM
Thrilled to pieces over Terry Gannon. I think that Mike will do a good job.

Lacey
10-18-2010, 02:02 AM
Love Scott as a human, but thrilled to get Terry back, even Tara will be a refreshing change from Sandra. I still miss Susie and Paul, guess they were only ESPN products, not NBC?