PDA

View Full Version : What to play at your mother's funeral

Pages : [1] 2 3 4

Jot the Dot Dot
10-12-2010, 08:43 AM
I know this is a sad topic, but I got to thinking about it, having heard the sad news about my Dad several years ago. Amazing Grace never ceased to bring an emotion from Mom (still alive, thank God). It was even played at Spock's funeral in The Wrath Of Khan!

uyeahu
10-12-2010, 09:38 AM
My mom wanted Spirit in the Sky - Norman Greenbaum. And she got it.

CDANN1013
10-12-2010, 11:08 AM
Mom told me that she wanted to hymns played at her funeral. One I can't remember to this day and the other was Hail Mary, Gentle Woman.

Carol

ChelleC
10-12-2010, 12:59 PM
We've never discussed it. I know she would want hymns, possibly Amazing Grace and Old Ship of Zion.

Spiralgraph
10-12-2010, 01:23 PM
When my mom passed away two years ago. I remember her saying years before that she wanted Panis Angelicus. So that was one of the hymns we selected.

Aceon6
10-12-2010, 01:38 PM
My mother wanted Ave Maria. If I make it past 80, I'll want Forever Young as a reminder to the living.

Aceon6
10-12-2010, 01:39 PM
My mom wanted Spirit in the Sky - Norman Greenbaum. And she got it.

I think I would have really liked your mom.

LilJen
10-12-2010, 05:50 PM
My mom doesn't want a lot of hymns and a formal service--though she herself is very religious, she fears this would turn off the rest of our (totally unreligious except for me) family. I'm like, 'don't you want a memorial service to reflect who you are?' Thoughtful, but I think there can be some balance, and no, attendees shouldn't be forced to shuffle back and forth in The Book of Common Prayer (Rite I? Rite II? Which reading? Huh?), but come on, include SOMETHING that is meaningful and dear to you!

FigureSpins
10-12-2010, 06:30 PM
DH and I have handled the liturgy for our parents as well as various aunts & uncles who passed on. Two that we like in particular are "We Will Build A City of God" and "(He Will Lift You Up) On Angel's Wings."

Both very nice songs with an upbeat message of going to Heaven, and eventual resurrection.

It's incredible that kids associate strong emotions with songs played at events. When they hear certain songs at Mass, it makes the kids a little sad to remember those funerals and who we said goodbye to on those days. "Angel's Wings" sets off my oldest daughter every time she hears it, and she's almost 21.

At my uncle and my mother's funerals, they both wanted "Edelweiss" played, so we used it as the recessional. So, you don't have to use only church hymns, even at a Catholic service.

KCC
10-12-2010, 06:35 PM
I have a CD of beautiful dulcimer music, with one of my favorite songs on it being "All is Well With My Soul". We gave a copy of the CD to our local funeral home after several people commented that it was very peaceful and comforting.

genegri
10-12-2010, 06:43 PM
I debated between Amazing Grace and In the Arms of an Angel. In the end, I chose a folks song.

Today would have been her 70's birthday. Happy birthday, mom!

skatemommy
10-12-2010, 10:33 PM
I want "I Can Only Imagine" and "Fly to Jesus (the untitled song)". I guess I should write this down somewhere.

Kasey
10-12-2010, 10:35 PM
My mom wants "I believe in Love" by Don Williams.

susan6
10-12-2010, 11:57 PM
My mom wanted "What a Wonderful World" by Louis Armstrong.

KatieC
10-13-2010, 12:16 AM
I picked with the help of the minister for my mum -
The Strife is O're, (for someone after a long illness)
Abide With Me, (my favourite)
Silent Night (Mum died at Christmas.)
Jesus Christ is Risen Today.

Dad's was
The King of Love My Shepherd is,
Abide With Me,
For the Beauty of the Earth.

I find funerals very comforting sometimes.