PDA

View Full Version : What to play at your mother's funeral

Pages : 1 [2] 3 4

ebayj
10-13-2010, 06:12 AM
My mother (she died last year) wanted only the same hymn that was performed at her mother's funeral in the early 1950s - Den Store Hvitte Flok (Behold a Host, arrayed in white) - and I built outward from that to a stunning and fitting group of hymns recorded by the Oslo (Norway) DomKor.

Jot - ask her what she wants. That is the most important thing. If it is not comfortable, talk about what you want at yours. That will make it easier.

John 3 17
10-13-2010, 01:57 PM
I want "I Can Only Imagine" and "Fly to Jesus (the untitled song)". I guess I should write this down somewhere.

I love both of those. "Fly" is so precious.

-Bridget

Gypsy
10-13-2010, 01:59 PM
A woman I work with (and I am not kidding) has actually put it in writing and had it notarized so that her daughter goes thru with it.

She wants "Ding Dong the Witch is Dead" played at her funeral!!:yikes:

PDilemma
10-13-2010, 03:05 PM
A woman I work with (and I am not kidding) has actually put it in writing and had it notarized so that her daughter goes thru with it.

:P I can think of a few people that should have that played at their funerals, and it would be if I were allowed to choose. But why would someone choose it herself? Humor or true self-awareness???

professordeb
10-13-2010, 03:30 PM
Count me in as another who wants I Can Only Imagine. I also want East to West by Casting Crowns. I asked son (who has a lovely singing voice - a gift he refuses to use) if he would sing them for me but his response "mom, I don't think I could sing on that day". Then there's the old hymn It Is Well With My Soul. If I have Amazing Grace, I'd like to sung to the tune of either The Lion Sleeps Tonight or House of the Rising Sun. I've heard it done by the College & Career group I belonged to back when I was in my 20's (which was about 30 years ago) and I simply loved the way it sounded. I realize this may sound kind of wierd but I've had a warped sense of humour for years so why not celebrate it at my funeral - since this is supposed to be a celebration of my life.

Gypsy
10-13-2010, 03:39 PM
:P I can think of a few people that should have that played at their funerals, and it would be if I were allowed to choose. But why would someone choose it herself? Humor or true self-awareness???

The woman has a wicked sense of humor!

Mozart
10-13-2010, 07:28 PM
I want "I Can Only Imagine" and "Fly to Jesus (the untitled song)". I guess I should write this down somewhere.

I love, love the untitled hymn/song whatever. Makes me cry every time I hear it

taf2002
10-13-2010, 07:36 PM
Am I the only one who finds this thread seriously creepy, esp since the OP still has his mother & apparently she's not even sick. Why would you think about what to play at your well mother's funeral?

mmscfdcsu
10-13-2010, 09:21 PM
Am I the only one who finds this thread seriously creepy, esp since the OP still has his mother & apparently she's not even sick. Why would you think about what to play at your well mother's funeral?

Not really. I think it is fine to prepare. I wish I had had more say in my mother's funeral. :(

I do find the title odd. Every time I see it, I want to answer Hopscotch or Bridge. Playing at a funeral could make it much more fun. ;):wideeyes:

KatieC
10-13-2010, 10:49 PM

My parents didn't mention anything about their funerals beforehand. I haven't considered what I'd like at mine either. But I talk to people every week who are trying to make things easier on their spouses should they go first, (with finances and procedures), which I heartily agree with. Everything done before makes things easier after, so why not pick things out? It's the only time I've ever got to actually pick the music for anything - so that was cool in a way.

Nora_Charles
10-13-2010, 10:57 PM
My mom wants "I believe in Love" by Don Williams.

Based on that, I think your mom rocks! :respec:

skatemommy
10-13-2010, 11:08 PM
I love, love the untitled hymn/song whatever. Makes me cry every time I hear it

"I Can Only Imagine" does that to me to. I've had to pull over my car...:wuzrobbed. The hospital chaplain and I sang the chorus of "Fly..." when my dad was taken off of life support. I failed a Gold dance while he was in the hospital. After he passed, I passed my last Gold dance for my Gold medal and prayed to "dance for Jesus". I publicly thanked them both in the lobby of the ice rink.

Karina1974
10-13-2010, 11:16 PM

:D:D:D:cool::cool::cool:

I like that! My almost-70 buddy and I talked about this. He says he doesn't want any "dirge music" played for him - only jazz, classic R&B and soul. He wants to be celebrated, not mourned.

Civic
10-13-2010, 11:17 PM
I'd want the following songs sung at my funeral:

Soon and Very Soon
In Paradisium from Faure's Requiem
To Reign in Jerusalem (an old spiritual)

cruisin
10-14-2010, 12:22 AM
For me, it would be "To Where You Are". I know that some people feel that Josh Groban is kind of cheesy, but this song says so much. My Mom is still here (thankfully), but I lost my Dad two years ago and this song makes me feel like he's with me.