PDA

View Full Version : facebook etiquette

Pages : 1 [2]

Indra486
10-10-2010, 08:07 PM
However, as I'm sure all you have experienced, I keep getting friend requests from people who fall outside that definition! Sometimes it's clients (I'm a freelance designer). I feel I cannot ignore those as they may take it personally. So I accept those, which means sometimes I have to be very careful about what I post, and sometimes I exclude those people from a post if it is more personal.

Create a separate "fan" page for your clients to add. This is something that many designers and digital arts have been doing to separate their private FBs from their professional life. That way, other professionals who pick up your card can add that page instead too. It also allows you to keep a small portfolio on FB.

Other than that, don't feel pressured that you have to add people if they request. A very well-acquainted classmate of mine is networked to 300 people because of the media work he does back in the Phillipines. I once wrote a message on his wall and it was a big mistake because I got bomb-barded by requests from Filipino media stars that I don't even know. I deleted them but I learned to only leave messages privately when I'm connected to people with open FBs.

I'm on absolute lockdown. I do occasionally de-link myself from casual acquaintances that I haven't spoken to in over year.

zhenya271
10-10-2010, 08:28 PM
I don't do anything with the requests that I don't want to add. I've learned in the past that if I hit ignore, they sometimes come back, so now I just leave the requests hanging there! Rude, but it works for me.:)

The Village Idiot
10-10-2010, 09:51 PM
1) it's your page and you don't have to add anyone you don't want to, and

2) since it sounds like you want to be able to have full control over who adds you, don't let anyone add you. Go to privacy settings and change the setting to let no one add you. That way if you want to be friends w/ someone, you'd have to add them.

skateycat
10-10-2010, 10:20 PM
I really don't post anything too incriminating or controversial. I save that stuff for FSU. ;)

Same here! I'm mainly a lurker on Facebook. I'm pretty active on Twitter, but I save the (relatively) juicy stuff for FSU.

Spinner
10-10-2010, 10:26 PM
Though I have many friend requests, I actually have only 2.

Like stanhope, I allow people to see my picture and email address, and it's been nice to say "good to see you after all these years" to people I haven't seen or heard from in centuries. But for the most part, that's pretty much where it ends.

*blinks* is that duane? Interesting it's a facebook thread that gets you to post :lol:

backspin
10-11-2010, 03:35 AM
For people that are not actual family or close friends, I put them on "limited profile,"

how do you do this?

I've been wishing for a way to "organize" my friends into groups to more easily manage who sees what, but I can't figure it out.

stanhope
10-11-2010, 03:43 AM
how do you do this?

I've been wishing for a way to "organize" my friends into groups to more easily manage who sees what, but I can't figure it out.

Directions are here: http://www.facebook.com/help/?page=768

Once that is set up, I just add people to the "limited profile" list when they request to be my friend.

Anita18
10-11-2010, 05:47 AM
What PL said, and keep this in mind--it's your personal page, so don't add people you don't know if you don't want to. You can't worry about others' delicate natures not being able to handle you ignoring their requests.
Pretty much.

Most people who have hundreds of friends don't really pay attention to who confirms their friend requests or not. They don't get a note saying that you've declined their invitation, so it's just as likely that they won't remember adding you.

genevieve
10-11-2010, 04:27 PM
I arrange my friends into groups - there is a limited one that can't see my posts or any photos with me tagged in it. I think I only have 1-2 people on it.

I also have my settings such that I'm unsearchable - if someone puts my name or even my email in, I won't come up. I do allow friends of friends to see me, and the more friends I have, the more people can see me - but it's possible to limit that as well. I don't publish my contact info either.

I've also left a couple of people hanging indefinitely in the friend request queue :shuffle:

Really
10-12-2010, 01:29 AM
I've just recently created a 'fan page' that I was going to use for school-related stuff, but I created a second "professional" profile that I will use to connect with students and their parents. I feel like I have more control over a profile than just a fan page. I still have my personal page, but none of my students or professional acquaintances will have access to that one.

However, that being said, I still have my contacts divided into groups -- I just don't care for some people to know as much about what's happening in my life as others.