PDA

View Full Version : "It Gets Better!" - Worldwide Video Project Against Bullying

Pages : [1] 2 3 4 5 6

PeterG
10-09-2010, 01:40 AM
People around the world (famous and otherwise) are reacting to the recent suicides of gay youth by creating videos about how "it gets better". I believe the project was started by writer Dan Savage and a website has been created to host some of the videos...

It Gets Better! (http://www.itgetsbetterproject.com/)

You can also find videos at youtube by using "it gets better" as your subject. The favourite I've found so far is by australian singer Sia:

SIA - It Gets Better (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mrechcKQxNo)

I also like the one from the cast members of "Wicked":

Wicked Cast - It Gets Better (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_0uN6Ghjp48)

Which are your favourites?

Jenna
10-09-2010, 01:43 AM
It is scary and sad how many suicides there have been over bullying in general. We as a society need to wake up and stand up against any form of verbal, physical, and emotional harassment, because it is WRONG. Every time I hear one of these stories my heart breaks. Something needs to be done. The "It Gets Better" project is a fantastic idea, but it's only the tip of the iceberg.

MikiAndoFan#1
10-09-2010, 01:51 AM
I really like all of them. Thanks for sharing, PeterG!

:)

It is scary and sad how many suicides there have been over bullying in general. We as a society need to wake up and stand up against any form of verbal, physical, and emotional harassment, because it is WRONG. Every time I hear one of these stories my heart breaks. Something needs to be done. The "It Gets Better" project is a fantastic idea, but it's only the tip of the iceberg.

I agree.

jenny12
10-09-2010, 01:52 AM
Thanks PeterG! Great campaign!

PeterG
10-09-2010, 02:09 AM
Found two more that I really like...

Jewel - It Gets Better (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SrSDP-_o-dE)

Jake Shears - Scissor Sisters (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FjFxosDnzOo)

The Jewel one is great, especially since she's working as a country music artist these days. Risky and brave. So :respec: to Jewel!!

milanessa
10-09-2010, 03:12 AM
Anderson Cooper (AC360) is doing a special on bullying right now.

Kruss
10-09-2010, 03:15 AM

Crystal Bowersox from American Idol is about to go on and relate her experiences with bullying in school. She wrote a really insightful blog (http://ac360.blogs.cnn.com/2010/10/08/crystal-bowersox-just-imagine…/) about it.

rjblue
10-09-2010, 03:23 AM
Well, if we're going to mention AI people- Clay Aiken's book "Learning to Sing" is a really moving memoir of how to keep your head up and follow your own path in spite of bullying. It's a good book to give to a teen who is being bullied. I hope Clay someday get's a chance to add a postscript on how coming out felt. Although, I guess his story is not a good example to use if you want to say the bullying will stop.

Kruss
10-09-2010, 03:26 AM
Well, if we're going to mention AI people- Clay Aiken's book "Learning to Sing" is a really moving memoir of how to keep your head up and follow your own path in spite of bullying. It's a good book to give to a teen who is being bullied. I hope Clay someday get's a chance to add a postscript on how coming out felt. Although, I guess his story is not a good example to use if you want to say the bullying will stop.

I didn't realize that, not knowing much about Clay. Kudos to him for sharing his story as well. Although bullying often doesn't stop, these kids need help and nobody - nobody - should accept that it's "just kids being kids".

heckles
10-09-2010, 05:14 AM

A good start might be for Anderson and society in general to stop trivializing outright harassment by calling it "bullying".

Amy L
10-09-2010, 05:56 AM
This article showed up on my Yahoo page. (http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20101008/ap_on_re_us/us_bullying_one_town) Three suicides and one antidepressant OD within 2 years at the same high school. The four kids were bullied for being foreign, being gay, suspected of being gay, and for being a special ed student. And one of the victims was heckled at her own funeral. What the hell is wrong with people???

LordCirque
10-09-2010, 06:26 AM
Cris Colfer's- Kurt on Glee

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5RKmnAJ3ZWM

AragornElessar
10-09-2010, 07:04 AM
A good start might be for Anderson and society in general to stop trivializing outright harassment by calling it "bullying".

Thank you for saying this. I went through Hell during my school years and what happened to me was not "bullying", not "teasing" and not "kids being kids". I was physically, emotionally and psychology(sp?) abused!!

There are few things that makes me see red faster than hearing the term "bullying" used whenever there are discussions about what is going on in our world these days. I really do believe that once it starts getting called what it is, which is abuse, then and only then will things start to change.

I mean...When I hear the young daughter of our nearest neighbours was told by her Teacher just to say that piece of crap rhyme "Sticks and Stones may break my bones, but names will never hurt me" *and* that being hit by the boys "means that they like you" in response to what was being done to her, in this day and age!?! Her Father has his own demons thanks to stuff done to him, so you can imagine what his reaction was to hearing about this.

Yes, it does get better, but there are some scars that never heal. I'm almost 38 years old and I'm still dealing w/the aftereffects of stuff that happened.

Why in the year 2010 we're still treating what is going on in our schools as kids "teasing" other kids or saying "it's a normal part of growing up" just is beyond me!! I thought we left the Dark Ages a long time ago.

milanessa
10-09-2010, 03:23 PM

I don't think the term "bullying" is trivialising the action. Harassment sounds much milder to my ears. YMMV

Thank you for saying this. I went through Hell during my school years and what happened to me was not "bullying", not "teasing" and not "kids being kids". I was physically, emotionally and psychology(sp?) abused!!

There are few things that makes me see red faster than hearing the term "bullying" used whenever there are discussions about what is going on in our world these days. I really do believe that once it starts getting called what it is, which is abuse, then and only then will things start to change.

I mean...When I hear the young daughter of our nearest neighbours was told by her Teacher just to say that piece of crap rhyme "Sticks and Stones may break my bones, but names will never hurt me" *and* that being hit by the boys "means that they like you" in response to what was being done to her, in this day and age!?! Her Father has his own demons thanks to stuff done to him, so you can imagine what his reaction was to hearing about this.

Why in the year 2010 we're still treating what is going on in our schools as kids "teasing" other kids or saying "it's a normal part of growing up" just is beyond me!! I thought we left the Dark Ages a long time ago.

No one here has said anything like you're suggesting. I can understand your anger since you had to endure something so horrible but "bullying" is a term for a particular kind of abuse and I don't understand your objection to the word.

heckles
10-09-2010, 05:04 PM
I don't think the term "bullying" is trivialising the action.

Bullying is what Butch did to Spanky on Little Rascals. Assholic stuff but nothing in comparison to the mentally sadistic, systematic, long term, calculated, group effort waged against Phoebe Prince or the others who have recently chosen to commit suicide. It's bizarre that adults in the workplace have ample recourse when they receive similar harassment in the workplace, yet we tell children who are generally mandated to attend a specific school that they have to "just ignore it".