PDA

View Full Version : Vancouver Travel Advice

Pages : 1 [2] 3

venja
10-08-2010, 07:18 AM
What I loved about downtown Vancouver was that all the little areas (Gastown, Denman Shops, Robson Shops, Yaletown, Davie Village, Chinatown, Granville) was doable in one day if you got an early start.

When my sis visited Vancouver she said that she ate at an amazing Malaysian restaurant called Banana Leaf - I believe that there's one in Kitsilano (Kitsilano is a beautiful area btw).

I hope that you have fun there, and that it doesn't rain!!! And happy bday in advance!

Squibble
10-08-2010, 08:06 AM
There is an extremely unassuming little park (Meditation Park) on Wall Street at the northern end of North Nanaimo Street. Walk down the slope to the northeast corner, where there is a walkway lined with blackberry vines. Go along the walkway, make a couple of quick turns, and you'll be standing over a railway line, with a view of downtown, Stanley Park, the Lion's Gate Bridge, the mountains above West and North Vancouver, and the commercial harbor. It's the best view in Vancouver. :cool:

Japanfan
10-08-2010, 08:36 AM
When my sis visited Vancouver she said that she ate at an amazing Malaysian restaurant called Banana Leaf - I believe that there's one in Kitsilano (Kitsilano is a beautiful area btw).

There is a Banana Leaf on Broadway near Main street and might be another one in Kitsilano. If not, Broadway and Main is not far to travel by bus.

I'd recommend The Sitar (Indian food) in Gastown. I dine out with great discrimination and there are few restaurants here that I find worthwhile to spend $$ on. The Sitar is one of the few.

Dragonlady
10-08-2010, 02:56 PM
I'd recommend the Water Street Cafe in Gastown. Great Italian food!

And the views from the Vancouver Lookout are fabulous:

http://www.vancouverlookout.com/

kylet3
10-08-2010, 04:54 PM
Ohh Lewis many thanks! I've actually been to Vancouver 3 or 4 times before :slinkaway but yeah I obviously still don't know all that there is to offer...

and 23 KM... More than a half marathon would take me the entire day to complete the seawall :lol: I will most assuredly take some time to do some of it and do a lot of picture taking and do some exploring and of course go back to the Aquarium for the first time since 2001.

My mom is going to kill me, told me not to bring any more clothes home but at those prices well... I'll just have to take price tags off :lol: I have a habit for buying clothes... and lots of them...

I have to admit for dining options I'm very generic and picky about what I eat. I usually stick to places like Moxies, Earls, Joeys, etc. I eat a VERY western diet and don't much have a palate for spice, though I may get adventurous in Chinatown lol.

I'm sure I will find lots to do! Thanks for all the advice.

made_in_canada
10-08-2010, 05:06 PM
I'd suggest Hon's in Chinatown.

Artemis@BC
10-08-2010, 05:39 PM
There is a Banana Leaf on Broadway near Main street and might be another one in Kitsilano. If not, Broadway and Main is not far to travel by bus.

Ok, not for Kyle because he's a spice wimp ;) but for others ... there's another Banana Leaf location on Denman, and it happens to be right next door to the fabulous gelato place I mentioned earlier, Mondo Gelato. Mmm, what could be better than Malaysian + gelato on English Bay?

As for the seawall, the 23 km is for the whole shebang, but to go just around Stanley Park is only about 10 km.

jl
10-08-2010, 08:06 PM
Food in Kits?

I'm not a big fan of the Eatery myself. Atmosphere is fun and it's a very college crowd but I've never run into good food there.

If you want Western or not-so-spicy foods, I recommend the following, in Kits unless otherwise stated (I live near UBC):

- Pair Bistro, a BC contemporary restaurant with lots of fresh local ingredients. I personally like their squash ravioli and elk medallions most.
- C in downtown, a BC contemporary seafood restaurant with a great variety menu. Too bad I didn't know you were coming earlier or I'd have recommended you buy their tasting menu as advertised on Groupon for $42. Extremely well-done food.
- Kirin, Golden Great Wall, or Imperial Chinese for dim sum in the local area. Jade Palace, Northern Delicacy and Kirin in Richmond. New Town Bakery in either Richmond or Chinatown for buns (large, very filling and extremely cheap).
- Zakkushi, Japanese grill, with lots of beautiful non-sushi items that are a little more exotic and suit the palate. Grilled skewers, stir-fried udon, nothing really spicy but something a little off the beaten path.
- Nat's Pizzeria, New York style pizza with some rather good toppings. I personally like the margerita the most.
- Modern Club, Japanese grill that prepares okonomiyaki (Japanese pancake). Very unique place (at least, when the old owner from Osaka ran it; she was the best).
- Mix: the Bakery, home of my favorite grilled sandwich, the Spanish boca (an egg omelet with tomatoes, bell peppers, etc and Spanish seasoning) as well as the ever-so-addictive ambrosia cookie.
- White Spot, the local version of Earl's/Milestones but quite a bit better IMO on the burgers at least.
- Vera's, the city's favorite burgers.

Oh, and you have to go to Cocoa Nymph in the area. My vote for best chocolates in the city. They also make a drinking chocolate that's Belgian in style (i.e. so thick it's like molten chocolate) in four varieties: I recommend the dark and spicy! Chocolate Arts is also pretty good, better artistry but not quite the same level of taste IMO.

If you have any questions or anything, please don't hesitate to PM me. I'd probably be up to meet for lunch or dinner somewhere (i.e. I have no life :lol:).

Note that most of what I have given you is pretty accessible by bus. The key bus numbers to keep in mind in Kitsilano (to transit between Kits and downtown) are 2/22, 7, 9, 10, 17, and 99.

deedeelocks
10-08-2010, 09:02 PM
ITA about Lynn Canyon. Although it's more of a nice-day-outdoor-hiking place than general touristy. It's also not that easy to get to without a vehicle (unlike Capilano, which although touristy, is at least on the transit line).
I went there by bus and I was fine? In my memory it wasn't very far from the busstop...

and I agree it's just great. I also loved to bike along the seawall :)

jl
10-09-2010, 12:56 AM
I know there is a nude beach. Does it count as touristy stuff?

ETA: You don't have to pack anything extra to visit the Wreck Beach!

It's kind of cold, the beach is actually very rocky, and the vast majority of people who go there nude are... north of 49, shall we say? :lol:

We went as a 13-year old class, scaled the steps and semi-cliff to go down there. It was quite a :wideeyes: experience and not one I want to repeat.

Japanfan
10-09-2010, 02:16 AM
We went as a 13-year old class, scaled the steps and semi-cliff to go down there. It was quite a :wideeyes: experience and not one I want to repeat.

The point of a nude beach is that you are not supposed to stare.

And I doubt there will be many nudes at Wreck Beach in October, more likely anyone there will be wearing a hat and gloves.

SandraMGfan
10-09-2010, 02:39 AM
I'm not really an Art Gallery type... ohh VIFF? Any chance of celebrity sightings? I'm a total gossip monger...

Reese Witherspoon and Chris Pine are in town at the moment shooting This Means War. They were shooting Downtown several times this week (Art Gallery, Gastown & Granville St), so keep your eyes open for lines of big trucks in the street which usually means you are close to the action!

JumpinBug
10-09-2010, 04:22 AM
I'm a master of Olympic markdown shopping. :D

What you want is the Gastown area. There's a strip of stores, all with Olympic merchandise of varying prices. The best of them is Hudson House (http://www.hudsonhousetrading.com/), but do go into the others along the street as well. Their website has a map to get you there. It's a 5-10 minute walk from The Bay. Hudson House has the best selection of pins - I got the coveted mittens and torch pin around a month ago for $5. They still had plenty of clothing, but things you likely never saw - mascot clothing, hats, etc.

What you'll find at The Bay... some marked down clothing, not too many options. Large quantities of some things, but often random sizes (think 40 2XL shirts on a rack). Fair number of kids shirts. And, you'll also find the new release of clothing... new quilted jackets, new hoodies, new mittens, etc. Don't expect what you see online, even on the 2010 site store. Even a month ago, there wasn't a ton. I scored on 99 cent pins, not sure if there are any left.

Northern Gifts is a bit tricky on foot, but there are some good bargains on mascots and other random items.

venja
10-09-2010, 05:03 AM
Reese Witherspoon and Chris Pine are in town at the moment shooting This Means War. They were shooting Downtown several times this week (Art Gallery, Gastown & Granville St), so keep your eyes open for lines of big trucks in the street which usually means you are close to the action!

I believe that Tom Hardy (from Inception) is in Vancouver shooting a movie right now, also. Aren't there lots of shows that are filmed up there like Supernatural, Smallville, Stargate Universe, Psych, Fringe, etc.?

The Accordion
10-09-2010, 07:00 AM
Ok, not for Kyle because he's a spice wimp ;) but for others ... there's another Banana Leaf location on Denman, and it happens to be right next door to the fabulous gelato place I mentioned earlier, Mondo Gelato. Mmm, what could be better than Malaysian + gelato on English Bay?

Oh my goodness! I was alone in Van for my birthday once and that is the exact meal I treated myself to!