PDA

View Full Version : Homecoming Mums: It's a Texas Thing

Pages : 1 [2] 3

Sassafras
10-08-2010, 01:19 PM
My first thought was - how do you qualify to be a homecoming mum? Is it the mothers of the kids in homecoming court?

JerseySlore
10-08-2010, 01:29 PM
My first thought was - how do you qualify to be a homecoming mum? Is it the mothers of the kids in homecoming court?

Same here. I thought it was sort of like homecoming queen for the elderly.

I'm glad I didn't go to hs in Texas cuz there's no way I would touch my date with a 10-ft poll if she adorned herself like a christmas tree....err... or maybe that's the point?

NeilJLeonard
10-08-2010, 01:33 PM
And why does it seem that Texas has to gaudify everything it touches?
Good question. Then they insist that it is the best way to do it. After all, it's a "Texas thing, a tradition".

Not hardly...;)

NJL

Skittl1321
10-08-2010, 02:35 PM
In Austin, we wore Mum's in middle school, but my high school did not (there were 12 high schools in Austin, no clue what others did). Well (to be honest) the white kids did not. The hispanic kids definetly did. They sold them in the cafeteria for homecoming week (between $10 and $50). They were not outrageously big, like the mum's I've since seen pictures of from friends in small towns.

My sophomore year a friend and I decided we WISHED we wore mum's (because they are cool), so we got together at her house after a trip to Hobby Lobby and made awesome ones for about $20. Then took pictures with them. Then it hung on my wall. It definetly did NOT get worn to school. I was not a "cool kid" (made plenty of weird fashion choices) but that would have been too much of a social norm to break.

SoNaoWat?
10-08-2010, 05:28 PM
Southern Oklahoman here, so I'm close to Texas, and very familiar with the 'mum tradition.' When I was in high school, girls were given these to wear for homecoming, usually by their boyfriends, and if they didn't have boyfriends, their moms bought them one. They varied in expensiveness, depending on how huge they were and how much crap they had on them and whether you bought them from a florist or WalMart! They started out at about mid-thigh length and gradually grew to almost dragging the floor behind you. It was a status thing. The bigger and tackier your mum, the more likely it was that you were a member of the popular group. If your mum was plain and tasteful, you were probably just a nerd, a dork, a pitiful hanger-on. (and your mom probably bought it for you, because you probably had never had a boyfriend in your life.)

True confessions time: The only mum I ever had in school was short, plain, and bought by my mother! My younger sister, OtOH had years where she was wearing TWO, given her by different boys. Sad, sad.

ETA: The beribboned mum tradition has now extended to be a 'new baby' thing. You're only cool if you have a huge mum on your hospital room door with a thousand ribbons and baby doo-dads on it announcing your new arrival.

FigureSpins
10-08-2010, 05:35 PM
No mums, but my mom and aunts used to make candy corsages for their daughters when they turned 13, I think. It was cute - a little ribbon bow with 13 streamers that hung down. There was a piece of wrapped candy on each ribbon - I can't remember what kind...lifesavers, lollipops, maybe?

I thought the football band playing upside-down garbage cans was just as interesting.

sk8er1964
10-08-2010, 07:17 PM
The drummers were cool. :)

Amy L
10-08-2010, 08:14 PM
Football band? Oh, you ferriners haven't even touched the surface of Texas school culture!

As a former Texas band geek, I'll have you know that football games were only a small part of our duties. Marching band is as competitive as football, but with more nerds, polyester, and feathery hats. My HS marching band had 200+ members, which was over 10% of the student body. There are several competitions just for marching bands every fall.

I went to 42 HS football games and never paid attention to a single minute of football. :P :lol:

sk8er1964
10-08-2010, 08:32 PM
:lol: Bands are like that here too.

When I was a high school sophomore (we had no freshmen in our school) there was no marching band because of lack of funding for uniforms. Huge fundraisers were held, and I played in the marching band my junior and senior year. My senior year I was in the drum line. There were three of us - bass drum (me), snare and tri-toms.

I ran into my old band teacher last year. He's still at the school (man he must have been young when he was teaching us). He says that he has an assistant now, and the marching band is over 200 people. How times have changed!

El Rey
10-08-2010, 09:31 PM
Football band? Oh, you ferriners haven't even touched the surface of Texas school culture!

As a former Texas band geek, I'll have you know that football games were only a small part of our duties. Marching band is as competitive as football, but with more nerds, polyester, and feathery hats. My HS marching band had 200+ members, which was over 10% of the student body. There are several competitions just for marching bands every fall.

I went to 42 HS football games and never paid attention to a single minute of football. :P :lol:

Just 42? your football team must not have been very good :drama:

Schmeck
10-08-2010, 10:10 PM
It was a status thing. The bigger and tackier your mum, the more likely it was that you were a member of the popular group. If your mum was plain and tasteful, you were probably just a nerd, a dork, a pitiful hanger-on. (and your mom probably bought it for you, because you probably had never had a boyfriend in your life.)

ETA: The beribboned mum tradition has now extended to be a 'new baby' thing. You're only cool if you have a huge mum on your hospital room door with a thousand ribbons and baby doo-dads on it announcing your new arrival.

Thanks for the insight - it definitely sounds like it's all about making someone else feel bad so that you can feel better about yourself! Is that a Texas thing too? Sounds sad that they promote that sentiment in high school.

Amy L
10-08-2010, 10:16 PM
Just 42? your football team must not have been very good :drama:

Oh yes, they were quite terrible. Which is why I took note of the term "football band". :lol:

milanessa
10-08-2010, 10:23 PM
Thanks for the insight - it definitely sounds like it's all about making someone else feel bad so that you can feel better about yourself! Is that a Texas thing too? Sounds sad that they promote that sentiment in high school.

:respec:

I haven't looked at the link yet because I'm enjoying the visions conjured up by everyone's posts. I don't think my imagination rivals the reality. :eek:

SharonDudd
10-09-2010, 12:00 AM
Schmeck: Nothing can prepare you for that video! It is a whole culture(less) schock to your system! I was chatting online with someone last night and said it's like when you see a horrible car accident and you know you shouldn't stare but you just can't NOT stare with your jaw hanging open!

FigureSpins
10-09-2010, 12:05 AM
"Marching Band?" I think you mean the band we heard but never saw on the video. I want to see the drummers march while banging on dented metal garbage pails. In a lightning storm. As seen on Funky Winkerbean .

Yeah, 20 years of education and I never went to a school with a decent football team either. Our band wasn't so great, either.

Schmeck: Nothing can prepare you for that video! It is a whole culture(less) schock to your system! I was chatting online with someone last night and said it's like when you see a horrible car accident and you know you shouldn't stare but you just can't NOT stare with your jaw hanging open!

It wasn't that bad - no nudity and everyone's blood and guts were intact.
It's a quaint tradition, they were all happy with it and no one was hurt. I thought it was nice, no worse than Debutante dresses.

I do think the Mums they created and wore look like funeral sprays. At least they didn't use real chrysanthemums - I'd have to leave the state! Achooo!

I wonder if there's a connection between the Texas tradition and the "Mummers" groups who march in parades around the country? Their costumes are just as eye-catching and larger than life.