PDA

View Full Version : Thanksgiving Dinner Menu

Pages : 1 2 3 [4] 5

dst7star
11-21-2010, 11:55 PM
I always brine my turkey and found a wonderful recipe for a different brine and just about everything else on the pioneer woman site. After three days of shopping the menu is turkey, dressing, roasted butternut squash, asparagus, mac and cheese, giblet gravy, rolls, cranberry sauce,sweet potato casserole, pecan pie, and lemon squares.

genevieve
11-22-2010, 01:38 AM
I'm still trying to decide what to do for Thanksgiving :lol: I have some friends who always host an orphans Thanksgiving, but I kind of feel like staying home. I've even started planning a menu :lol:

pumpkin empanadas
butternut squash and hazelnut lasagna
stuffing
roast turkey breast
NY cheesecake for dessert

whoever's coming, please bring something green! :P

IceAlisa
11-26-2010, 06:25 AM
This year ended up being:

French wine and cheeses
arugula, pomegranate, persimmon, roasted spiced chickpeas salad
Brussel sprouts (my secret recipe ;))
roasted butternut squash with brown sugar
red quinoa with wild mushrooms
Russian style potatoes with dill
sage, mushroom and sausage stuffing
turkey
pumpkin cheesecake

I call it the Soviet food scarcity syndrome but I always always end up overcompensating and cooking waaaaaaaaaaay too much. I am always afraid there will not be enough--it's completely irrational.

skateboy
11-26-2010, 08:40 AM
We had a great dinner. On of my relatives is a sous chef at an upscale restaurant, so he prepares the turkey, gravy, stuffing and potatoes--always sensational! We also had a green salad, fruit in sweet cream sauce, candied yams, rice with teriyaki sauce, steamed vegetables with pesto and parmesan, rolls... hors d'oeuvres were baked brie in puff pastry, fresh clam dip with crackers, and I made a garlic-olive-cpers tapenade. Dessert was cheesecake, pumpkin pie, pecan pie, fruit cake and lemon meringue cookies.

...and now I'm enjoying a large glass of water with baking soda.

Angelskates
11-26-2010, 09:16 AM
I'm taking pavlova for Thanksgiving lunch tomorrow. Yay for the Aussie touch! :cheer2:

Rex
11-26-2010, 12:36 PM
I call it the Soviet food scarcity syndrome but I always always end up overcompensating and cooking waaaaaaaaaaay too much. I am always afraid there will not be enough--it's completely irrational.
Don't worry - I know lots of Americans who do this too. At least you have leftovers you can work with.

My ex's new bf made one of the moistest turkey breasts I've ever tasted. Homemade cranberry sauce (with orange juice and powdered sugar), mashed sweet potatoes with bourbon sauce, green beans, garlic mashed potatoes, homemade stuffing, mac & cheese (with four cheeses), popovers, pumpkin and apple pie. They even made a pie for me 'cause they felt bad for missing my birthday in June... :). I share dees vit no one, eys?

The pug got into the garbage, ate some turkey skin, and got ill, poor thing. She thought she was gonna get punished, so she went and hid... :fragile:.

Angelskates
11-26-2010, 12:42 PM
((((pug))))

vesperholly
11-26-2010, 03:02 PM
Ever since my parents started salt brining their turkey, it's soooo good. We had a nice classic Thanksgiving with turkey, stuffing, mashed potatoes, squash and cranberry sauce straight out of the can. My aunt and uncle provided delicious Red Lobster-style cheese biscuits, and my sister made an excellent squash risotto.

:swoon:

skatemomaz
11-28-2010, 06:27 PM
slow roasted sweet potatoes
mashed potatoes
stuffed pumpkin :swoon: new recipe this year and an instant classic, everybody including my daughter's VERY picky eater boyfriend loved it.
cornbread stuffing with cranberries
steamed green beans
tofurkey for the vegetarians- but even my meat eating son always goes for seconds.
turkey for the meat eaters
cranberry orange relish
dinner rolls
red velvet cake
pumpkin roll
chocolate pecan pie
apple pie

oleada
11-28-2010, 06:34 PM
I'm foreign, and I had Thanksgiving with my fellow foreign friends who didn't have anywhere to go. We each brought a dish:

- Turkey
- Cheesy Mashed Potatoes
- Deviled Eggs
- Some Turkish dish whose name I don't know but was fabulous
- Korean dumplings (the stars of the night, IMO. :swoon:)
- Korean barbecue
- Pumpkin Pie
- Lots and lots of wine

Rex
11-28-2010, 06:58 PM
I'm foreign, and I had Thanksgiving with my fellow foreign friends who didn't have anywhere to go. We each brought a dish:

- Turkey
- Cheesy Mashed Potatoes
- Deviled Eggs
- Some Turkish dish whose name I don't know but was fabulous
- Korean dumplings (the stars of the night, IMO. :swoon:)
- Korean barbecue
- Pumpkin Pie
- Lots and lots of wine

Wish I had been there. What exactly was in the Turkish dish?

oleada
11-28-2010, 06:59 PM
Wish I had been there. What exactly was in the Turkish dish?

We would've loved to have you! I don't know. I think there was meat in it, and it was delicious. But I really don't know what was in it. I can ask my friend, though.

I'm still dreaming of those dumplings though. Wish I still had some left. :swoon:

dbny
11-28-2010, 09:51 PM
Am I one of your guests? I prefer the jelly and I hate oyster stuffing. :lol:

You would have been welcome!

That sounds DELICIOUS. Do you have a link to the recipe?

Boozy Fruit (http://www.nytimes.com/2010/09/22/dining/22appe.html)

Well, all did not go as planned, big surprise :rolleyes:. First, I had to give up on grilling the turkey as we had problems with the grill. This meant no duck, since I would need the microwave/convection oven for other things. Since it was pretty cold outside, that was for the best anyway. Second, the turkey took an extra 30 minutes to cook, which we figured out was because our fridge is failing, and one side of the bird did not completely defrost. The microwave/convection oven rescued us. The fancy cornbread oyster stuffing from my book turned out not so good, but I had also made my regular oyster stuffing and also crock pot stuffing without oysters, and those were both great. I got inspired and made my own mincemeat filling for pies, and those were also terrific (with vanilla ice cream), as were the pumpkin pies (from kabocha squash), the flan (gift from our local Mexican restaurant), the chocolate cake & creme donuts brought by a guest. Think we had enough dessert? Older DD made oven roasted sliced yams that were outstanding, and a guest brought fresh cranberry sauce and orange cranberry relish. I also made southern style cornbread sticks in a cast iron mold, which I thought were not so great, but they were gobbled up.

I didn't even put out the boozy fruit, as it was too alcoholic and tasted medicinal. So much for spiced rum. Next time I'll stick strictly to the recipe!

LordCirque
11-28-2010, 09:58 PM
Southern Inspired Menu:

Pan Fried Turkey Breast, Marinated in Whiskey with Salt, Pepper, and Thyme
White Cheddar-Scallion-Rosemary Mashed Potatoes
Southern Buttermilk Cornbread
Peas with Fresh Mint
Sweet Iced Tea

skatesindreams
11-28-2010, 11:48 PM
Southern Inspired Menu:

Pan Fried Turkey Breast, Marinated in Whiskey with Salt, Pepper, and Thyme