PDA

View Full Version : Thanksgiving Dinner Menu

Pages : 1 2 [3] 4 5

znachki
10-09-2010, 11:14 PM
Cupid, the link I gave above has recipes (and menus!) from both Gourmet and Bon Appetit... so I assume Gourmet is still going strong.

Gourmet, is unfortunately, no longer being published, but the recipies on Epicurious, are from both magazines.

For years I took our Christmas brunch menu from the Nov or Dec issue of Bon Appetit. I usually keep that magazine. I lost our favorite menu, which isn't online, and narrowed it down to a date range, but wouldn't you know, that when I went to the library bound periodicals, that was the one volume that was "out for binding". Aghh..

Squibble
11-20-2010, 06:17 PM
U.S. Thanksgiving is Thursday! :cheer:

I found this instructional video (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hdCWgWlbyLU) on how to cook a turkey on Youtube. ;)

We're having:

Apple-parsnip soup
Roast turkey
Wild rice with chestnuts and wild mushrooms
Cranberry-orange relish
Baked yams with ginger butter
Green beans
Mixed salad with balsamic vinaigrette
Mince pie

The soup recipe comes from this New York Times webpage (http://well.blogs.nytimes.com/2010/11/08/joan-nathans-french-inspired-thanksgiving/?hp=) which has several French Jewish vegetarian recipes suitable for Thanksgiving.

What is everyone else having?

emason
11-20-2010, 08:13 PM
I am doing something totally heretical and having ham. Every diner in NY has a turkey platter on the menu and every time I turn around I seem to be in another diner ordering another turkey platter - so no turkey on Thursday.

I will have:

cranberry sauce
rutabaga and potato mashed together
beets in orange sauce
green beans almondine

dessert to be decided: pumpkin pie? cranberry pear crisp? pecan pie? chocolate pudding pie in a graham cracker crust? Or the even more heretical strawberry shortcake?

Can you tell that for me it is all about the dessert?

Kasey
11-20-2010, 08:17 PM
Will be working, and sleeping at my mom and dad's so will get whatever dinner they're making! (usually the traditional turkey, squash, stuffing, potatoes, peas, pies, coma and football) My contribution is going to be a sugar-free pumpkin cheesecake! :)

Rex
11-20-2010, 09:18 PM
My ex and his new bf invited me and some of their other friends. I don't even have to cook anything. I was just told to bring my old cute self. Won't be hard!:lol:

ArtisticFan
11-20-2010, 11:18 PM
My ex and his new bf invited me and some of their other friends. I don't even have to cook anything. I was just told to bring my old cute self. Won't be hard!:lol:

That is the best thing to bring :lol:. My hubby is expecting miracles in the kitchen. i have a feeling he may be disappointed. Thankfully, a nice southern cooking place near our house will be open for Thanksgiving. The meal even includes wine. I'm thinking that is the best solution for us.

Rex
11-20-2010, 11:22 PM
That is the best thing to bring :lol:. My hubby is expecting miracles in the kitchen. i have a feeling he may be disappointed. Thankfully, a nice southern cooking place near our house will be open for Thanksgiving. The meal even includes wine. I'm thinking that is the best solution for us.

I know of several people going to restaurants and inns this year. It's not cheap, but some folks do not like all the stress that comes with preparing a big turkey dinner, or the clean up afterwards. Also I guess you aren't nibbling on leftovers forever either.

sk8pics
11-21-2010, 12:19 AM
I'm going to a cousin's house and there will be 25 people! So needless to say it's a group effort to put together the menu. I was asked to bring my special famous M&M cookies. My cousin's wife told me he was very specific about it, LOL. And a couple bottles of wine. I'm getting off very easy!

Impromptu
11-21-2010, 05:43 PM
Appetizer: cherry/pecan baked brie
Homemade wheat/cornmeal bread (working on that now)
Apple and pear salad
clementine-cranberry relish
garlic greenbeans
mashed potatoes
stuffing w/hazelnuts
turkey

dessert = pecan pie; chocolate chip cookie pie; strawberry-rhubarb pie (I'm buying that, as I don't think I'll have time to make it); pumpkin bread; assorted cookies

PDilemma
11-21-2010, 07:34 PM
We use my SiL's coffeehouse and have a huge gathering with my husband's family, my family and some friends who have no place to go. There's usually about 30 people. Last year, we managed to have way too much food and so we are trying to limit it this year with specific assignments. I am in charge of green beans and a birthday cake for my dad whose b-day is on Thanksgiving this year.

ChelleC
11-21-2010, 08:45 PM
I know of several people going to restaurants and inns this year. It's not cheap, but some folks do not like all the stress that comes with preparing a big turkey dinner, or the clean up afterwards. Also I guess you aren't nibbling on leftovers forever either.

My family is planning to go out to eat this year. We'll go to the state park about an hour from my parents house. The restaurant there always has a wonderful Thanksgiving buffet.

No leftovers to worry about it. Plus, this is the first major holiday since my grandmother died, and my grandfather had to go into the nursing home. New traditions, I suppose.

BigB08822
11-21-2010, 09:40 PM
I know it's early for this, but I'm very excited about Thanksgiving this year and have already begun planning the meal. We are having a small group, no more than 8 at the most, so I'm ordering a heritage turkey and also roasting a couple of ducks, per DH's request. The turkey is being grilled, using a recipe from a Nantucket holiday cookbook I found while camping, and I'm also making oyster cornbread stuffing from the same book. I'll make another stuffing too, for our guest who doesn't like oysters. A few weeks ago, the NYT ran an article about booze marinated fruit, so I'm putting up plums & cranberries in spiced rum, which I think will go nicely with the duck. I'll also make my usual fresh cranberries, and have a can of jelly for the one guest who grew up with it.

What are your menu plans?

Am I one of your guests? I prefer the jelly and I hate oyster stuffing. :lol:

Rex
11-21-2010, 09:52 PM
My family is planning to go out to eat this year. We'll go to the state park about an hour from my parents house. The restaurant there always has a wonderful Thanksgiving buffet.

No leftovers to worry about it. Plus, this is the first major holiday since my grandmother died, and my grandfather had to go into the nursing home. New traditions, I suppose.

Yeah, I hear ya. Family deaths also change plans - my aunt (in the recent picture thread) died last year, and my uncle has decided to sell their house and move into assisted living. He's having his final Thanksgiving in the house - he says now the memories are getting to him. He has a gorgeous rowhome in West Oak Lane and we used to spend lots of holidays and tree-trimming parties up there as youngsters - my auntie lurved to entertain. The last few years she'd order a turkey from the Italian market, stuffed with dates, nuts and apricots and just follow the instructions. Everyone loved it and she made everyone feel welcome. All of that is over now.

Before I go to my ex's I am supposed to go and serve lunch at a church with some friends.

vesperholly
11-21-2010, 09:55 PM
A few weeks ago, the NYT ran an article about booze marinated fruit, so I'm putting up plums & cranberries in spiced rum, which I think will go nicely with the duck.

That sounds DELICIOUS. Do you have a link to the recipe?

PAskate
11-21-2010, 11:32 PM
I am heading to my neighbor's. They've been nice enough to invite the last several years. The wife called me today to ask me to bring a light dessert. I think that I'll bring my cranberry bars. I was planning to make a batch anyway, so I'll just do 2 batches. They're easy and taste good.