PDA

View Full Version : NaNoWriMo

Pages : [1] 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9

Angelskates
10-07-2010, 01:31 PM
Whheeeeeeeeeeeeee! :cheer2: It's that time again folks...well, almost! National Novel Writing Month (http://www.nanowrimo.org) begins again in November...start catching up with people now, stock up on coffee and buy some comfie PJs, because come November, life changes. NaNoWriMo is your chance to finally write the novel you've always dreamed of writing.

I'm up for the pain and suffering yet again. My username remains the same (Angelskates). Who else is in?

Spareoom
10-07-2010, 01:44 PM
Me! I'm Gymfan15 over there. I can start a Writing Group thread for FSUers like I did last year, if that would be appreciated. :)

This year I'm doing a sequel to my first novel, which is about a gymnast. Should be perfectly time just coming off of Worlds, methinks.

backspin
10-24-2010, 03:23 AM
I'm actually considering it, though I don't really have a clue what I'm getting myself into!! The concept intrigued me, & then last week an idea popped into my head--though of course I don't have a plot or anything.....anyone else in? I need someone to push me over the edge!

mkats
10-24-2010, 04:51 PM
After much thinking over the last couple of months, I decided that I won't be doing it this year :( On the other hand, I've decided to use this month to start making a serious go of getting last year's novel published. I'm still in the process of writing and refining the query letter but am a little :yikes: of sending it to any agents yet... any advice out there? I know there are some writers here who have gotten published so I'd really appreciate your insight :)

Blue Bead
10-24-2010, 07:10 PM
Count me on NaNoWriMo, too. This will be my 6th year participating! I'm tackling a story involving trafficking, prostitution, kidnapping, and organized crime; part of the story is set in Russia, Canada, and the US.

Regarding finding an agent, it is prudent for a first-time author to find an agent who specializes in unpublished writers, not all of them do that. One place to try is here: http://www.author-network.com/agents.html

Good luck, everybody!

Matryeshka
10-24-2010, 08:41 PM
Wheee! I have no gallbladder or appendix or other such devices to impede my writing this year, so this will be the time I make it past 20 pages. Unless my spleen decides to give me trouble.

I am also Matryeshka on NaNoWriMo.

Wyliefan
10-24-2010, 10:38 PM
After much thinking over the last couple of months, I decided that I won't be doing it this year :( On the other hand, I've decided to use this month to start making a serious go of getting last year's novel published. I'm still in the process of writing and refining the query letter but am a little :yikes: of sending it to any agents yet... any advice out there? I know there are some writers here who have gotten published so I'd really appreciate your insight :)

Mkats, I have an agent who handles both fiction and nonfiction. She runs a blog here (http://cba-ramblings.blogspot.com/) that's full of great advice for writers. She also has a blogroll with links to more agent blogs. I've found it all very helpful. You might find an agent among this crowd, or you might decide that you don't care for any of them and want to find someone else, but either way you'll get a lot of useful tips on the whole process, especially if you click on their "query" tags.

I find that many of these agents tend to take a no-nonsense, tough-love tone. So be prepared. :D

Angelskates
10-25-2010, 01:28 AM
:cheer2: Matry! :cheer2: Blue Bead! :cheer2: backspin!

Good luck mkats!

Wyliefan, are you in?

Why, oh why is GP during November?!

Wyliefan
10-25-2010, 02:45 AM
I wish I were, Angelskates, but I just can't manage it. Best wishes to all you intrepid participants! :cheer2:

alhrayth
10-25-2010, 02:52 PM
I tried last year but I just couldn't keep up; I am toying with the idea of trying again, as I have some sort of story planned that I'd like to write, but I can't make up my mind yet. Mainly, last year I was writing in English, and I think it added too much to my plate and that stopped me mid-track, so I'm thinking of writing in Italian this year...

Andora
10-25-2010, 03:05 PM
I'm attempting for the upteenth time. I'm not sure why I keep doing this-- I've yet to get past 20K. :shuffle: I have, however, met a lot of awesome people at the local Nano meetups over the years, so I highly recommend attending one if you can. :)

I'm trying something new this year, story-wise. I always try to come up with a story that I'm not all that attached to because it means I don't let my imagination out much. This year I'm writing a story I've had in mind for awhile. I'm also sort of cheating: the city it's taking place in is a fictional one I'm familiar enough with, as it's from a video game. :P I figure it's an easy way to get over the setting skips I sometimes hit when writing.

Angelskates
10-26-2010, 01:41 AM
:cheer2: more people. I'm sort of cheating this year too, Andora, as mine is based on a true story (my life).

mkats
10-26-2010, 02:04 AM
Mkats, I have an agent who handles both fiction and nonfiction. She runs a blog here (http://cba-ramblings.blogspot.com/) that's full of great advice for writers. She also has a blogroll with links to more agent blogs. I've found it all very helpful. You might find an agent among this crowd, or you might decide that you don't care for any of them and want to find someone else, but either way you'll get a lot of useful tips on the whole process, especially if you click on their "query" tags.

I find that many of these agents tend to take a no-nonsense, tough-love tone. So be prepared. :D

Whee! Thank you! I was hoping you'd respond as I remembered you posting a link to the queryshark blog earlier. That blog had me alternating between :eek: and :lol: and :yikes: and :wall: ... here's hoping mine falls into none of the above!

Blue Bead - thanks for the link! I'll be sure to check it out :)

backspin
10-27-2010, 10:58 PM
Is anyone else having trouble getting on the site? I'm guessing maybe the server is getting overloaded as we approach liftoff....it's like Worlds Ladies championship, but with novels instead! lolol

Oh, forgot to add--I'm iceartist over there.

Angelskates
10-28-2010, 01:34 AM
No problems for me. I really want my t-shirts before it all begins...:shuffle: I'm going to my favourite cafe on Saturday and Sunday to re-organise things before the big day. Bummer it starts on a Monday - it's better to start mid to late week so at least I could get some work done in week 1!