PDA

View Full Version : NaNoWriMo

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 6 [7] 8 9

backspin
11-14-2010, 07:25 PM
While I realize that most of you, here, aren't "real" writers with no intentions of publication, I am heading to eventual publication; I have a manuscript making the rounds, now.

I'm a 'real' writer too, though I consider anyone who takes it seriously to be 'real'. I've been published, but only in children's literature, & this is the first long, adult-level piece I've ever attempted. I also make part of my living as a promotional writer for clients. So, yeah. And I do think my story, once it's been massively edited/re-written has potential for publication.

Also, my mom (who read it), is an editor for a publishing house.

While I'll eventually be happy to hear critiques of the book, and while I realize that there are many, many glaring holes, omissions, hanging threads, etc., my mission right now is just to keep writing until it's finished. I am SO enjoying living in this world I've created, having never done anything like this before. So, for now, I've decided to hug it a little closer, and enjoy it all to myself until later. I don't have time to edit now anyway, so it can wait.

msbeachskate
11-14-2010, 09:02 PM
I'm a lurker who is a writer and a retired college creative writing professor.

My rule in my workshop classes was that showing your work, especially drafts, to significant others, was never helpful.

If they gush over it, you think they love me and are just saying that--what do they know anyway? If they diss it, you say you're not a writer, what do you know anyway? In either case it rarely improves the writing or the relationship.

Relationships are difficult enough as it is, why stress them further?
Those that ignored this atrong teccommendation, did so at their peril. I once had a divorce happen when a husband and wife took my class together and critiquing of work was done. And no, I didn't allow mean, nasty critiquing and yes, I think they would have divorced anyway. But is not a good idea.

(The one exception might be if the "other" was a also a professional writer.)

mkats
11-14-2010, 09:15 PM
backspin, good for you! I have a lot of respect for anyone who even sits down and attempts to tackle a novel. And thanks for sharing your story - best of luck :)

msbeachskate - who would you suggest we new writers ask to take a look at our writings? I'm not trying to be snarky, I completely understand about why it's not the best idea to have someone really close to you read it, but I would like for someone else to read through it since my eyes are the only ones that have seen it since I started writing it 2 years ago (the original draft was finished a little less than a year ago, and I've been editing/redrafting since).

msbeachskate
11-14-2010, 09:33 PM
Look around for a writer's club in your area, or seek out Adult Ed or Community Ed. classes or enroll in a community college class or online critique group.

When I retired I moved to an area where I knew no- one. I saw a one day writer's workshop advertised , attended that and recruited a couple of attendees to attend a critique group that meets at my house. We have been meeting weekly for six years. If you form a group make sure the members have potential as writers (are not raw beginners, unless you are) and are not egotistic twerps. For that reason it's good to see them in action first in a class, or other pulbic setting.
It's O.K. to start small. A positive (but honest) two in a group is preferable to eight "oh that is wonderful" or "that's not good at all --what you should do is write it like mine" members.

ballettmaus
11-14-2010, 11:07 PM
Look around for a writer's club in your area, or seek out Adult Ed or Community Ed. classes or enroll in a community college class or online critique group.

How would I know I can trust these people?
Maybe I'm too "mistrusting" but after that girl in Germany published a book with snippets copied from others, I wouldn't trust anyone I don't know. Not when it comes to such sensitive things as ideas and characters for a novel.

LordCirque
11-14-2010, 11:24 PM
I'm also a writer hoping to head to publication one of these days. I look at it like this:

No matter WHO gives you feedback, it can always be helpful. You need to be as objective as you can when editing your work. You need to sit back and try to see what they are saying and figure out if what they say applies to you and your vision, sometimes it does, sometimes it doesn't.

Any reader feedback is important because you're aiming to hit millions of people and hit the NY Times best seller list. Many different view points will see your writing.

I also look at it like this:

You aren't going to like everyone you meet, not everyone you meet is going to like you. Not everyone that reads/sees your work is going to like it, conversely, you aren't going to like everything you see/read either.

There will be educated people that love your writing, there will be educated people that hate your writing. There will be uneducated people that love your writing, there will be uneducated people that hate your writing. It just comes with the territory of putting your art and writing out there.

Don't let critcism get you down too much, TRY to see if you can find some valid points within the harshness. I know how much it sucks to think "WOW I have this AMAZING piece only to have someone tell you how much it was lacking and needed more of this, and more of that, and what not." But then you need to take a step back, try and look at it, try interjecting some of what they said into what you have. There are no rules saying you can't use the delete key to change it back.

I'd be down for starting an email writing group, I have stuff to share regularly, mostly short fiction, creative non-fiction, and poetry at the moment, but am starting to branch into Playwriting as well. PM me.

Angelskates
11-17-2010, 12:20 AM
:cheer2: Poggi!!! :encore:

Matryeshka
11-20-2010, 03:45 AM
I stand corrected. I didn't realize that writers used NaNoWriMo as a story board. :)
Technically, I'm published too, but it was in a stuff academic journal using words that I didn't actually know a meaning of about a subject I had no interest in. It was on the agency and efficacy of women in the Women's Bureau in the Communist Party in the early 1930s. Scintillating reading, I know.

Anyway, I have a NaNosnark: according to Word 2007, I have WON NaNoWriMo 2010, but according to their eville word count, I'm about 1500 short. I'd have to write more anyway because I am not a linear writer and it makes no sense, but damnit, I had 50000 words. :wuzrobbed

LordCirque
11-20-2010, 04:04 AM
I started a blog with some of my writing if anyone cares to read it:

http://sw112.wordpress.com

I'd love feedback and constructive criticism on it, I'm always posting and editing the stuff I post, so almost nothing is ever a final draft, after a bit more editing, I'll be submitting a few of those pieces to the campus literary journal.

Angelskates
11-20-2010, 04:16 AM
:cheer2: Matry! :cheer2:

Angelskates
11-21-2010, 12:45 PM
49,894 words according to Word. 50,017 words according to NaNo :cheer2: :cheer2: :cheer2:

backspin
11-21-2010, 03:07 PM
:respec: :rollin: :kickass: :inavoid: :cheer2: :cheer2: :cheer2: :gallopin1: :cheer: :cheer:

To those of you who are finished!!!

My hectic life has gotten in the way & I'm gearing up for a couple of 3,000 word days to catch up. I'm determined to do it, & am sure I'll succeed. I'm loving this whole process!!

Angelskates
11-23-2010, 02:40 AM
How's everyone doing with a week to go?

backspin
11-23-2010, 03:41 AM
Back on schedule now. Going to try to write at least 500 extra each day to help w/ the fact that I'll lose at least one day over Thanksgiving, possibly 2. I WILL SUCCEED!!

Meanwhile, I LOVE my story and where it's taken me, not least of which was out of a very very bad depression following a sudden breakup.

Blue Bead
11-23-2010, 05:39 PM
I'm sitting at 39,323 so I'm within grabbing distance of 40,000 and planning on writing most of Thanksgiving Day. Maybe I'll get lucky and roll over the 50,000 mark in one day. That would be a new one-day writing record for me :D Seriously, I doubt I'll do it because my fingers would fall off and, then, how would I finish my NaNo? :P