PDA

View Full Version : NaNoWriMo

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 [6] 7 8 9

Angelskates
11-10-2010, 10:34 AM
30,197 words, 6:31 p.m. and I'm going to have a glass of wine and stop writing for the day, maybe even the week.

Spareoom
11-10-2010, 08:37 PM
NOoooooooooo, don't do that! If you're ahead, just keep writing at the minimum pace. What if you get sick towards the end of the month and you can't finish in time? A buffer is ALWAYS good.

Aiming for the official win, but only the half-way mark to my personal goal tonight. EEEEEEK!

backspin
11-10-2010, 08:42 PM
Okay, all you over-achievers are seriously scary.

I'm very happy today because, after wandering rather aimlessly for a day & a half, my characters are finally up to something! Hurrah! I'm going to enjoy writing this next part. AND, since I'm almost to the daily word count, it will get me a bit ahead too.

(but not like you crazy people.....)

Fata
11-10-2010, 08:48 PM
Just wanted to wish everyone good luck. And enjoy it!! I believe in all FSUers to achieve the goal.

I'm sad that I can't participate this year, life's too busy with exams coming soon. But in 2011 there's another November...

Angelskates
11-11-2010, 01:26 AM
NOoooooooooo, don't do that! If you're ahead, just keep writing at the minimum pace. What if you get sick towards the end of the month and you can't finish in time?

Then at least I'll be healthy. If I don't rest, I will make myself sick and then I'll be sick and not have a novel.

Blue Bead
11-11-2010, 04:55 AM
Rolled over the 20,000 word mark tonight. Whew! :lol: Now, I finally feel like I'm getting someplace and the plot is starting to gel. It's taken its good, ol' sweet time reaching this point.

alhrayth
11-12-2010, 10:51 PM
Reached 25k tonight, I'm happy! Now it feels like I've written too much already to give up...

Spareoom
11-12-2010, 11:04 PM
Then at least I'll be healthy. If I don't rest, I will make myself sick and then I'll be sick and not have a novel.

Health is overrated. ;) Anyway, as long as you stay above the minimum line, see if I care! If not, however... *cracks whip and laughs evilly*

Angelskates
11-13-2010, 07:43 AM
Congrats Spareoom, I see you've made it already! :cheer2:

mkats
11-13-2010, 05:49 PM
I got brave enough to share my prologue with a friend the other day - the first time I've shared any of my writing (not academic stuff) with anybody since sophomore year of high school. She was harsh but honest, and for that I'm grateful even if I spent a few days hiding from the book... :eek: it's always been super hard for me to take criticism, so this is really a good time to work on that too.

backspin
11-13-2010, 09:25 PM
That is very tough.

I actually let my mom read the first 75 pages when she was here visiting this week.....she said 'they stand around and talk a lot don't they' and that she really had no idea what the book was about yet, and that it really wasn't the kind of book she'd typically pick up & read--AND she doesn't approve of my main character, who is a courtesan (sorry, it's historical fiction--she was a real person, and that's what she was).

Though she didn't mean to be critical I don't think, and though I know the book is very rough with lots of missing things that need to be filled in later, I still found it mildly discouraging and didn't write at all the next day.

Now I'm back on board, and will be caught up by the end of the weekend. But I've learned my lesson not to let anyone read it at least until I'm done writing it, and maybe not even then until I've done all my edits.

LordCirque
11-14-2010, 05:56 AM
I know not part of NaNo related but writing related. I took part in a Write-A-Thon at school today. 8 hours of Writign and an AMAZING performance at lunch by Stacy Dyson (Google her if you don'tknow her).

Anyway, I had a very productive day and got some great stuff written both from prompts and my own inspirations, and got a few things revised, all in all, about 10-15 started, written, and/or revised. I have 5 pieces ready to send out first drafts of if anyone wants to see them, as well as 3 or 4 others that are still in progress rough drafts.

If you want to read them, PM your email address and I'll forward them to you.

Matryeshka
11-14-2010, 07:15 AM
That is very tough.

Though she didn't mean to be critical I don't think, and though I know the book is very rough with lots of missing things that need to be filled in later, I still found it mildly discouraging and didn't write at all the next day.

I'm quoting you, but I mean this in a general sense (and by that, I mean me) about the NaNoWriMo thing. None of us, I don't think, are "real" writers. We're not writing real books. If we were, it would take longer than a month for it to be any good and it would be a helluva lot longer than 50K words. This is essentially a vanity project and/or an outlet to express yourself in a way that's safe. And if you're lucky enough to live in an area that has an active NaNoWriMo community, a way to meet people.

So, with that in mind, I wouldn't take anyone's criticism seriously. Or really let anyone criticize my writing :P. It's supposed to be fun. I get that it's always nice to be told you do something well, even if it's just a hobby, but it shouldn't depress you to the point it's hard to write the next day, since it is just a hobby.

You don't have a publisher breathing down your neck or an editor changing every other word. Your next meal doesn't depend on you finishing. If you don't take criticism well, so what? It's not life or death; you don't have to take criticism at all. NaNoWriMo is just for YOU for FUN.

COT. I was going to put this in the snark thread, but since not everyone on this thread has access to SS, I figured it would be better here. I've been now to two NaNoWriMo write-ins. What the hell is up with all these stuck-up, self-righteous, pseudo-intellectual fantasy/sci-fi writer wanna-bes? :confused: They're like that on the forums, too. And even though I know this is mean, a lot of the sci-fi/fantasy people do seem to fit a certain stereotype. :shuffle: Not all, but a lot of them.

And god forbid if you tell them your genre is at best light-weight fiction and at worse chick-lit, they look at you like you personally are responsible for the fall of Western civilization. I mean, please--you're writing about elves and magic orbs and talking squirrels. Don't tell me that I should be banned from reading. At least chick-lit is based on this reality, not something out of a bad Renaissance Faire. This is not, btw, a knock on the entire genre...just its most ardent fans.

alhrayth
11-14-2010, 12:08 PM
And god forbid if you tell them your genre is at best light-weight fiction and at worse chick-lit, they look at you like you personally are responsible for the fall of Western civilization. I mean, please--you're writing about elves and magic orbs and talking squirrels. Don't tell me that I should be banned from reading. At least chick-lit is based on this reality, not something out of a bad Renaissance Faire. This is not, btw, a knock on the entire genre...just its most ardent fans.

:lol: LOL I love you! Iget this in the Italian sub-group... we meet in a chat, and they're always discussing these weird sub-plots and characters... :huh: and I am... what's wrong with my main character being a secretary and not a d*mn werewolf or something...???

Blue Bead
11-14-2010, 07:08 PM
I'm quoting you, but I mean this in a general sense (and by that, I mean me) about the NaNoWriMo thing. None of us, I don't think, are "real" writers. We're not writing real books. If we were, it would take longer than a month for it to be any good and it would be a helluva lot longer than 50K words. This is essentially a vanity project and/or an outlet to express yourself in a way that's safe. And if you're lucky enough to live in an area that has an active NaNoWriMo community, a way to meet people.

While I realize that most of you, here, aren't "real" writers with no intentions of publication, I am heading to eventual publication; I have a manuscript making the rounds, now. I participate in NaNoWriMo to develop ideas for novels. BTW, a mere 50,000 words is but a drop in the ocean for me. :P It merely gets my story development underway.

As to criticism and how far one should take it, if it's constructive criticism from a knowledgeable writer, than take it seriously. If it isn't, then, take it with a sizable grain of salt. However, consider all criticisms, don't down play them because even from regular readers they usual have some worth. Every one sees something a bit different in a story because their understanding of it comes from their own experiences with life. When you're trying to develop character emotions or specific plot details you, as the writer, can get too wrapped up in the creation of it, and can't see it the way the reader will. A reader's input/criticism is invaluable to the development on your story. Count yourself lucky if you can get it during your development of the story.