PDA

View Full Version : NaNoWriMo

Pages : 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 7 8 9

Andora
11-03-2010, 02:39 PM
Not enough :eek: and D: in the world for the "young reader" writer.

ETA I take this back. I stumbled on that page I remembered, and I am quite puzzled as the NaNo site gives me a word count that's A LOT different from what I had gotten from Word. I'm talking 3967 (word) VS 4249 (site)... I don't know which one I should follow! I guess the NaNo site, as it will be finally verified there, but still... I wouldn't want to later check the count and find I am a lot short of my goal... what do you suggest??

Could it be that nano tackles word count differently than word? For example, I'm demolishing my story grammatically because hyphenated words are counted as one in Microsoft Word. Maybe Nanowrimo's site considers them two, and so you get a better word count?

Spareoom
11-03-2010, 04:17 PM
Nearly all word processors count words differently, which is why NaNo opens the book validations five days before the month ends, so people can have wiggle room. Some people end up having large chunks of words "downgraded", for lack of a better word, on the NaNo site, while others gain words. I use Google Docs to write, and on my first year I gained several hundred words. Second year I gained about a hundred, but that's more or less "even" in NaNo terms. I've never lost any words, and I can't imagine how depressing it is for those who do!

Marlowe
11-04-2010, 02:53 AM
Day 3 and just under 3000 words. Hmmmm. One thing I've noticed is that if I get behind I can't get ahead. :lol:

However, I'm enjoying myself. When I review what I've written I think it's pretty fine, but when I look for a short passage to post I find that it's pretty lame. I have to resist the urge to edit, and hope that one day two sentences that sing will lie next to one another and I can post them. I'm also hoping that at some point I'll know what my *novel* is really about. Right now it's taking twists and turns that I didn't expect. I don't know if I have the fortitude to take it where it evidently wants to go. Is that a perfect example of procrastination?

Ok, so I'm talking to and fighting with myself here!

Ok, back to writing.

backspin
11-04-2010, 03:38 AM
I just finished another write-in, which thankfully was populated with lovely normal people. :lol: It was in a different city & maybe I'll stick w/ this group as much as possible!

I've finished 2 chapters, & so far I'm really enjoying this. I never understood anything about character development before (having never written anything long that needed it), and never understood people when they said their characters did things they hadn't anticipated. It's so fun! It's like it has a life of its own.

I'm totally in love w/ one of my main characters, an Italian artist who is very short but has a huge personality. I don't even know where his speech mannerisms came from--they just happened! :lol:

I now have to start turning the story from him onto my heroine, though he will be very central for awhile yet.

backspin
11-05-2010, 03:46 PM
So how's everyone doing? I'm just keeping up w/ the daily word quota, so I'm happy w/ that.

alhrayth
11-05-2010, 03:56 PM
So how's everyone doing? I'm just keeping up w/ the daily word quota, so I'm happy w/ that.

me too! I started over quota on the first day, but then life got in the way and I didn't write as much as I planned... but I managed to get my minimum required words per day, and I'm happy for (at least) that! I keep hopint to find time to do a little more, but it has not happened yet. I'm just content with not being behind for now!

Angelskates
11-05-2010, 11:00 PM
My story took a turn I really like at around 2 a.m this morning!! I left a party early last night so I could write and am sooo glad I did. Cup of China today so I loose a lot of time but at least I'm really ahead now!

alhrayth
11-05-2010, 11:21 PM
Today again I wrote just a few words over the suggested daily quota, but I really hope to do more tomorrow. Cup of China starts at 7am for me but will be over shortly after lunchtime (maybe earlier if I decide to skip the pairs) and after that I'm home alone and completely free... time to write!!!

mkats
11-06-2010, 04:27 PM
I slacked off a lot over the last three days (I used to draft on the bus ride home, but I was so exhausted the last few days that I just slept instead). I just completely rewrote the prologue for the third time and I think I'm finally happy with the way it looks right now... it'll probably change again but I'm going to ask one of my writer friends to take a look at it when I get it typed up (it's all scribbled on the back of a fax cover sheet right now :lol: )

Saturday = free writing time. Woohoo!

backspin
11-06-2010, 05:02 PM
I just completely rewrote the prologue for the third time and I think I'm finally happy with the way it looks right now... it'll probably change again but I'm going to ask one of my writer friends to take a look at it when I get it typed up

Stop that!! December is for editing, November is for WRITING!!! Quantity over quality, just leave it and carry on with what you're doing. You'll edit it later & it will be brilliant. For now, make your peace with the rough edges and push forward!! :dog::dog::P:soapbox:

Angelskates
11-06-2010, 05:18 PM
Up writing since my Cup of China photos are taking time to upload to FB anyway...

Matryeshka
11-06-2010, 07:14 PM
ITA on both... [SIZE="1"]di ETA I take this back. I stumbled on that page I remembered, and I am quite puzzled as the NaNo site gives me a word count that's A LOT different from what I had gotten from Word.....

How did you find this page? I'd love to upload stuff and get feedback.

alhrayth
11-06-2010, 07:24 PM
How did you find this page? I'd love to upload stuff and get feedback.

Click "MyNaNoWriMo" and once you are on your page, on the left there's a bunch of links > Novel Info > Edit

You can paste your entire text in the box that says "Word Count Validator" and then scroll to the bottom of the page where there's a button saying "Submit"...
this also updates the little box you have on the top right of the page!

LordCirque
11-06-2010, 07:32 PM
Count me in for next year! Too much going on right now and I think this time next year I'll be ready to plan out and begin a novel.

I am however, taking part in the Write A Thon at my community college next weekend, 8 hours of writing through from various prompts in various genres of Drama/Script, Fiction, Creative Non-Fiction, Poetry etc.., a performance by some Slam Poets at lunch, and raffle for some great prizes.

Marlowe
11-07-2010, 12:50 AM
Count me in for next year! Too much going on right now and I think this time next year I'll be ready to plan out and begin a novel.

I am however, taking part in the Write A Thon at my community college next weekend, 8 hours of writing through from various prompts in various genres of Drama/Script, Fiction, Creative Non-Fiction, Poetry etc.., a performance by some Slam Poets at lunch, and raffle for some great prizes.

Now THAT sounds like a blast!