PDA

View Full Version : NaNoWriMo

Pages : 1 2 [3] 4 5 6 7 8 9

Matryeshka
11-01-2010, 01:55 AM
Are we using the same forum we used last year?

backspin
11-01-2010, 03:35 AM
I started at midnight and have almost half my daily word count done. Hate my story already :P

I'm jealous! I still have to wait another 1.5 hours before I can get started. :fan: Will make a pot of coffee soon--starting to yawn a bit.

Spareoom
11-01-2010, 03:36 AM
I went ahead and made a thread for FSU'ers on the NaNo site, so we can keep track of each other more easily. :)

http://www.nanowrimo.org/eng/node/3793321

I'm Gymfan15 on there.

Wyliefan
11-01-2010, 03:52 AM
One more cheer for all of you beginning your novels! Good luck! :cheer2:

ChelleC
11-01-2010, 04:08 AM
I'm going to give it a try again this year.

Best of luck to everyone!

melissahlz
11-01-2010, 04:25 AM
I'm giving it a try again this year too. If life (and work) will agree to be a little less hectic than last November turned out to be, things should work out fine. First goal... stay awake long enough to actually get some word count for day one. :coffee:

Good luck everyone!!

backspin
11-01-2010, 07:19 PM
is it weird that when I picture my heroine at her first high society ball in 1890's Paris, I hear Owl City's "Fireflies" in my head?

alhrayth
11-01-2010, 10:11 PM
I went ahead and made a thread for FSU'ers on the NaNo site, so we can keep track of each other more easily. :)

http://www.nanowrimo.org/eng/node/3793321

I'm Gymfan15 on there.

:cheer: great! (well, for me in theory. I tried to go & have a look, but I got an error message about a site maintenance... SIGH!)

alhrayth
11-02-2010, 10:14 PM
How is the second day going, fellow writers? :) I *might* keep on track despite spending A LOT of time on Fede and Massi's site yesterday night and today... fingers crossed!! Then hopefully in the next few days I hope to be writing more of my novel and less of skating... well at least until Cup of China kicks off!

backspin
11-02-2010, 10:31 PM
Pretty good--I'm almost to my word count for today. Another paragraph or so will do it.

I'm enjoying the writing very much so far!! More than I had expected. Thus she says on day two......

--the site is so sluggish I rarely look there anymore except to post my little word increases.

Does it annoy anyone else, how on the NaNo Stats section it says you're a day behind, even though it's 6 am on that day & you haven't even started that day yet? I need to stop looking at that section.

alhrayth
11-02-2010, 10:39 PM
Pretty good--I'm almost to my word count for today. Another paragraph or so will do it.

I'm enjoying the writing very much so far!! More than I had expected. Thus she says on day two......

--the site is so sluggish I rarely look there anymore except to post my little word increases.

Does it annoy anyone else, how on the NaNo Stats section it says your a day behind, even though it's 6 am on that day & you haven't even started that day yet? I need to stop looking at that section.

Oh you're not alone on that... it's demotivating to be told that you're behind when there's still time to reach the goal! I'm hating that!!

backspin
11-03-2010, 12:28 AM
Meanwhile, I went to a write-in last night. I got there late so pretty much just sat down & got to work.

BUT when it was time to leave, I struck up a conversation w/ the girl nearest me.

* So, what genre are you writing?

-- Young Reader. (keep in mind, from what I've learned in the world of children's lit, that's like 4-6th grade)

* Oh, that sounds cool. What's your story about?

-- It's about a 12 year old girl who gets kidnapped, and then gets sold into the sex trade. I just finished the first rape scene.

* Ummmmm, are you sure that's young reader???

-- Well, my main character is 12.

* But......(total loss for words).....that must be very difficult to write.

-- Oh no, I've got tons of ideas. I'm at 5,000 words already!

** (edging toward the door) Well, good luck with it..... :scream:

Maybe I'll just stay locked in my nice little house & write on my own.... :yikes::yikes:

Matryeshka
11-03-2010, 01:25 AM
At least you can log in--I have pages and pages of pure literary dreck genius to upload and it won't let me!

Or maybe that's a sign. :shuffle:

Blue Bead
11-03-2010, 01:38 AM
At least you can log in--I have pages and pages of pure literary dreck genius to upload and it won't let me!

Or maybe that's a sign. :shuffle:

Um....You can't upload your story until the last week of November unless I'm misreading what you mean. :P If that's not it, I'm clueless. :lol: As I recall you can upload a portion of your story for others to read via your profile page (I can't remember how many pages it is because I haven't done it in a couple of years) but there is a limit to how much you can post.

I can relate to backspin's complaint regarding inability to access the site. The only times, during the first week of NaNo that I can get the site to open is midnight or after my local time to upload my latest word count. In past years after the first 10 days it's a lot easier to update during normal hours, although I'm not quite sure why.

alhrayth
11-03-2010, 09:14 AM
Um....You can't upload your story until the last week of November unless I'm misreading what you mean. :P If that's not it, I'm clueless. :lol: As I recall you can upload a portion of your story for others to read via your profile page (I can't remember how many pages it is because I haven't done it in a couple of years) but there is a limit to how much you can post.

I can relate to backspin's complaint regarding inability to access the site. The only times, during the first week of NaNo that I can get the site to open is midnight or after my local time to upload my latest word count. In past years after the first 10 days it's a lot easier to update during normal hours, although I'm not quite sure why.

ITA on both... didn't it used to be that you could check your word count there before? I seem to remember something like that, but this year I haven't found such an option - the only update it lets me do on word cound is changing the total word coud in a little box on top/right of the page... did I miss something? ETA I take this back. I stumbled on that page I remembered, and I am quite puzzled as the NaNo site gives me a word count that's A LOT different from what I had gotten from Word. I'm talking 3967 (word) VS 4249 (site)... I don't know which one I should follow! I guess the NaNo site, as it will be finally verified there, but still... I wouldn't want to later check the count and find I am a lot short of my goal... what do you suggest??

Anyway, the site is painfully slow... but I too expect it will become faster as we go on as I expect people to give up here and there (and with less people logged on it should get better I think!)

p.s. _ backspin :eek: young reader? rape scene (or worse, the *first* rape scene)? Arghhhh....