PDA

View Full Version : Nobel (and Ig-Nobel) Prizes

Pages : 1 2 3 [4]

jeffisjeff
10-12-2010, 02:52 AM
And here I was thinking all the doctors and professors at MIT were liberal democrats? It's such a flaky place, how would a conservative Republican survive?

MIT flaky? :huh: Someone's pretty clueless. Or should I say flaky? :D

Schmeck
10-12-2010, 11:25 AM
MIT flaky? :huh: Someone's pretty clueless. Or should I say flaky? :D

Goodness yes, it is a flaky place - I spend quite a few hours there every month witnessing the flakiness! They may be brilliant, but there is a 'duh' factor in there as well...

GarrAarghHrumph
10-12-2010, 02:16 PM
We actually stopped hiring MIT engineers because they were too flaky. They were brilliant academically; but in a manufacturing plant, we need more like... UMass Amherst engineers. Still top 50, but more practically based than theoretical. More like Norm Abram than like Albert Einstein. ;)

jeffisjeff
10-12-2010, 07:12 PM
Goodness yes, it is a flaky place - I spend quite a few hours there every month witnessing the flakiness! They may be brilliant, but there is a 'duh' factor in there as well...

And you associate this kind of "flakiness" with so-called "liberal democrats"? :rolleyes:

Schmeck
10-12-2010, 08:07 PM
And you associate this kind of "flakiness" with so-called "liberal democrats"? :rolleyes:

No, they are two different entities completely - but I do know that MIT does want to share in certain research projects, as they embrace the academic idea of sharing information, etc, but they constantly butt heads with the government, who wants to keep things a bit more hush-hush. So, they are more liberal in that sense, and more democratic.

The flakiness - now, just go sit outside the student center on a nice, sunny day (or a wet, slushy one!) and observe...

And since I led this thread onto a tangent, I will try to bring it back -

How have the sanctions against Norway been going for the Chinese? My Norwegian SIL has been laughing so hard about that, I'm sure!

genegri
10-12-2010, 08:25 PM
Ah, but the accounting profs make more than either economics profs or finance profs. So what does that tell us? :lol:

They do? I had no idea. I guess it is true that knowing how to hide, I mean, how to prevent accounting irregularities is the most in demand skill? :D Kicking myself, why didn't I go into accounting instead?

We actually stopped hiring MIT engineers because they were too flaky. They were brilliant academically; but in a manufacturing plant, we need more like... UMass Amherst engineers. Still top 50, but more practically based than theoretical. More like Norm Abram than like Albert Einstein. ;)

A couple of our most brilliant VPs are MIT grads. But overall, I agree with you that for 99% employees, it's not as important to be super smart than it's to be hardworking and a team player. A company of Einsteins would make a true disaster. :lol:

jeffisjeff
10-12-2010, 10:16 PM
No, they are two different entities completely - but I do know that MIT does want to share in certain research projects, as they embrace the academic idea of sharing information, etc, but they constantly butt heads with the government, who wants to keep things a bit more hush-hush. So, they are more liberal in that sense, and more democratic.

It is pretty hard to see how anyone would have gotten the above point from this statement, which is what I was questioning:

And here I was thinking all the doctors and professors at MIT were liberal democrats? It's such a flaky place, how would a conservative Republican survive?

It seems pretty clear that you were talking about political affiliation since you felt the need to bring up Republicans (who clearly are not, in your opinion, flaky).

jeffisjeff
10-12-2010, 10:24 PM
They do? I had no idea. I guess it is true that knowing how to hide, I mean, how to prevent accounting irregularities is the most in demand skill? :D Kicking myself, why didn't I go into accounting instead?

Cooking the books is highly profitable, I guess. ;)

I actually think it has more to do with supply and demand. There are tons of undergrads wanting to study accounting (or, rather, whose parents want them to study accounting so that they can have a nice, stable, well-paying job). But there aren't enough accounting professors. I mean, really, who wants to get a PhD in accounting. :yawn: ( ;) )

GarrAarghHrumph
10-12-2010, 11:41 PM
It's not that people don't want to get a PhD in accounting. It's that the opportunity costs are too high. You take 6-10 years away from a career that's actually quite lucrative on its own, to become an accounting professor making less than an accountant leaving a big 4 firm does.

jeffisjeff
10-12-2010, 11:50 PM
It's not that people don't want to get a PhD in accounting. It's that the opportunity costs are too high. You take 6-10 years away from a career that's actually quite lucrative on its own, to become an accounting professor making less than an accountant leaving a big 4 firm does.

Actually, my anecdotal experience is that many PhD accountants didn't actually study accounting as undergrads / masters. A PhD in accounting (at least at the schools I am familiar with) seems to require a rather strong background in mathematics (probability, statistics, linear algebra, optimization), that most undergrad accounting programs don't provide or prepare students for.

allezfred
10-13-2010, 03:35 PM
How have the sanctions against Norway been going for the Chinese?

They've moved on to snubbing Eurovision winners (http://www.newsinenglish.no/2010/10/12/rybakk-also-victim-of-chinese-ire/)

Gazpacho
10-13-2010, 03:51 PM
They've moved on to snubbing Eurovision winners (http://www.newsinenglish.no/2010/10/12/rybakk-also-victim-of-chinese-ire/):rofl:

Schmeck
10-13-2010, 08:28 PM
They've moved on to snubbing Eurovision winners (http://www.newsinenglish.no/2010/10/12/rybakk-also-victim-of-chinese-ire/)

Oh my goodness, that's just so pathetic! I wonder if China would protest the entire United States if the Academy of Motion Pictures gave an Oscar to some Chinese dissident? It is the AMP that does that, right? And is that how you spell dissident? It looks wrong to me, but I can't spellcheck - and my dictionary has vanished!

Reuven
10-14-2010, 12:03 AM
How bloody pathetic. :lol: