PDA

View Full Version : Nobel (and Ig-Nobel) Prizes

Pages : 1 2 [3] 4

Buzz
10-08-2010, 01:03 PM
Liu Xiaobo has won the nobel peace prize. He does not know he has won because he is serving an 11 year prison sentence for writing a letter calling for more freedom and democracy. The Chinese government is not happy at all.

http://uktodaynews.com/9394/liu-xiaobo-awarded-nobel-peace-prize-2010/

GarrAarghHrumph
10-08-2010, 02:23 PM
Liu Xiaobo has won the nobel peace prize. He does not know he has won because he is serving an 11 year prison sentence for writing a letter calling for more freedom and democracy. The Chinese government is not happy at all.

http://uktodaynews.com/9394/liu-xiaobo-awarded-nobel-peace-prize-2010/

That's an understatement. The Chinese government blacked out all news immediately, and told Norway that this would harm relations between the two countries. Norway responded rather snarkily.

Imprisoned Chinese dissident Liu Xiaobo won the 2010 Nobel Peace Prize on Friday for using nonviolence to demand fundamental human rights in his homeland.

[snip]

...Liu has been an ardent advocate for peaceful, gradual political change rather than confrontation with the government, unlike others in China's highly fractured and persecuted dissident community. http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/nobel_peace_prize

Liu doesn't yet know, but his wife hopes to go to his prison tomorrow to tell him.

Gil-Galad
10-08-2010, 02:54 PM
I love that they still gave him the Nobel Prize, even after all the threats before. And Norway is a very (oil-)rich, very independent country, only marginally hit by the global economic downturn - I don't think that China could inflict much damage through economic measures. And geographically there is just one country between Norway and China, but that happens to be a rather large one.

Angelskates
10-08-2010, 03:29 PM
Several people texted me and emailed me in both Chinese and English today, and I saw two reports on CNN (and one on BBC), so I don't think the Yahoo! article is 100% accurate as far as the censoring goes. Two of my Chinese friends stood next to each other as they texted about it and the texts arrived without a problem. If China thinks it can do anything to harm Norway, I disagree, but I also think it's all talk.

A very deserving winner. Garr - his wife will go to the prison and tell him on Sunday.

I didn't enjoy Soul Mountain, and was surprised don't understand the awesome reviews.

Gazpacho
10-08-2010, 04:06 PM
:respec: One of the most deserving winners. So glad they chose him and not a politician who has been actively involved in starting or prolonging a war, or at least has done nothing to deserve it, or a politician who won based on name recognition rather than action, as the committee has done in the past.

Unfortunately, this prize may actually cause (http://www.csmonitor.com/World/Asia-Pacific/2010/1008/Why-Liu-Xiaobo-Nobel-Peace-Prize-could-harm-Chinese-rights-activists) more human rights activists to be arrested :( :mad:

IceAlisa
10-08-2010, 04:30 PM
That's an understatement. The Chinese government blacked out all news immediately, and told Norway that this would harm relations between the two countries. Norway responded rather snarkily.

I can't find Norway's snark. The yahoo article has a nice and polite response from them. I wish they'd snark though.

GarrAarghHrumph
10-08-2010, 04:42 PM
I can't find Norway's snark. The yahoo article has a nice and polite response from them. I wish they'd snark though.

I read their nice, polite response as an "As if". :lol:

Gazpacho
10-10-2010, 07:40 PM
He's been told now, but his wife has been put under (http://www.cnn.com/2010/WORLD/asiapcf/10/10/china.nobel.wife/index.html) house arrest :mad:

GarrAarghHrumph
10-11-2010, 02:09 PM
And this morning, for economics, Peter Diamond (American - MIT - nominee for the Federal Reserve Board), Dale Mortenson (American - Northwestern), and Christopher Pissarides (British/Cyprus - LSE). Their work focuses on the difficulties matching up "buyers" and "sellers" in a search market, with special focus on the labor market. Specifically:

The laureates' models help us understand the ways in which unemployment, job vacancies and wages are affected by regulation and economic policy

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20101011/ap_on_bi_ge/nobel_economics

Buzz
10-11-2010, 02:31 PM
Congratulations to Mr. Diamond, Mr Mortenson and Mr Pissarides. Well done. :respec:

manleywoman
10-11-2010, 04:04 PM
Congratulations to Mr. Diamond, Mr Mortenson and Mr Pissarides. Well done. :respec:

Why are Americans so good at Economics, and yet we have the economy we have now? Sigh.

GarrAarghHrumph
10-11-2010, 05:33 PM
Why are Americans so good at Economics, and yet we have the economy we have now? Sigh.

:lol: Maybe because one of the Americans who won for econ was nominated to the Fed Board, and yet we won't let him on? Seriously. We can't get out of our own way. ;)

Actually, it's politics:

Diamond, 70, is an economist at the Massachusetts Institute of Technology, and an authority on Social Security, pensions and taxation.

President Barack Obama has nominated Diamond to become a member of the Federal Reserve. However, the Senate failed to approve his nomination before lawmakers left to campaign for the midterm congressional elections. ...Senate Republicans have objected to what they see as Diamond's limited experience in dissecting the inner workings of the national economy.

genegri
10-11-2010, 06:44 PM
I took both Professor Peter Diamond's class and another MIT professor (finance), Andrew Lo's class. Professor Lo joked with us that all economics professors were Democrats and all finance professors were Republicans. Economics gurus are good with theory, but it's the finance folks who actually play with money.

Think economics majors at basic biology PhDs, who do research and make $50k if they manage to stay in academia. And finance majors as MD physicians, who make $300k.

jeffisjeff
10-11-2010, 08:36 PM
I took both Professor Peter Diamond's class and another MIT professor (finance), Andrew Lo's class. Professor Lo joked with us that all economics professors were Democrats and all finance professors were Republicans. Economics gurus are good with theory, but it's the finance folks who actually play with money.

Think economics majors at basic biology PhDs, who do research and make $50k if they manage to stay in academia. And finance majors as MD physicians, who make $300k.

Ah, but the accounting profs make more than either economics profs or finance profs. So what does that tell us? :lol:

But, not sure I agree with the claim that most economics professors are Democrats. I think there are quite a few at both ends of the political spectrum.

I recently had to read some of Diamond's work on search theory. I managed that, but now I am trying to actually incorporate into something I am working on. We'll see how that goes. :shuffle:

Schmeck
10-12-2010, 01:38 AM
And here I was thinking all the doctors and professors at MIT were liberal democrats? It's such a flaky place, how would a conservative Republican survive?