PDA

View Full Version : Nobel (and Ig-Nobel) Prizes

Pages : 1 [2] 3 4

Buzz
10-06-2010, 02:05 PM
The chemistry prize is shared with three scientist this year; Richard Heck, Ei-Ichi Negishi,and Akira Suzuki.
http://edition.cnn.com/2010/WORLD/europe/10/06/sweden.nobel.chemistry/?hpt=T2

GarrAarghHrumph
10-06-2010, 02:25 PM
The chemistry prize is shared with three scientist this year; Richard Heck, Ei-Ichi Negishi,and Akira Suzuki.
http://edition.cnn.com/2010/WORLD/europe/10/06/sweden.nobel.chemistry/?hpt=T2

Heck is a professor emeritus at U Delaware, Negishi is a professor at Purdue U West Lafayette, and Suzuki is a retired professor at Hokkaido U in Japan. They won for developing methods that let chemists join carbon atoms together to build complex molecules, called "palladium-catalyzed cross couplings". Their methods are widely used today to develop pharmaceuticals, including cancer drugs, and computer screens.

Evilynn
10-07-2010, 12:02 PM
...and Mario Vargas Llosa just won the Literature prize. :)

http://www.svenskaakademien.se/press_en.html

equatorial
10-07-2010, 12:17 PM
Finally. No "who the fcuk is [enter the name of the new Nobel Prize winner here]???!!!" this year. Vargas Llosa deserves it completely.

sweetsparky
10-07-2010, 12:33 PM
...and Mario Vargas Llosa just won the Literature prize. :)

http://www.svenskaakademien.se/press_en.html

:cheer2: :encore: I had lost faith in the Academy awarding him, I´m glad I was wrong. A superb writer (I consider him one of the best ever in Spanish.) :)

oleada
10-07-2010, 12:34 PM
So very deserved for Vargas Llosa :cheer2:

Evilynn
10-07-2010, 01:16 PM
:cheer2: :encore: I had lost faith in the Academy awarding him, I´m glad I was wrong. A superb writer (I consider him one of the best ever in Spanish.) :)

I have to admit, I think some of the later winners might very well be part of a backlog that they're now going through because some of the crankier members of Svenska Akademien who always blocked those authors died. :shuffle: SA chairs are elected for life, and a couple of years ago there were more men in their 80ies than women overall etc.

altai_rose
10-07-2010, 01:18 PM
I just love this telephone interview with Andre Geim: Nobel link (http://nobelprize.org/nobel_prizes/physics/laureates/2010/geim-telephone.html) He articulates everything I love (and hope to continue loving) about research--the humor, the play, the random simple experiments that work 1 out of 100 times, the camaraderie.

Some people would call me a workaholic. I don’t consider this time: I just love my work so much, so it’s my real hobby, ok. And, yeah, getting some play during working hours for which you are paid is the best job I can recommend for anyone around!

sweetsparky
10-07-2010, 02:40 PM
I have to admit, I think some of the later winners might very well be part of a backlog that they're now going through because some of the crankier members of Svenska Akademien who always blocked those authors died. :shuffle: SA chairs are elected for life, and a couple of years ago there were more men in their 80ies than women overall etc.

That sounds very reasonable.

I had read, coming from some Spanish literature circles, some gossip about how Vargas Llosa had some opposition cause his political evolution (to liberalism) and political activities in the past, or cause he was considered part of the same literary movement that would have been recognized when Gabriel García Márquez received the award.

I had a hard time believing any of those reasons as serious, but since there were talk about other Spanish language writers that were now being told as possible winners of the prize instead, it seemed to me that he could be left apart, what I certainly found a bit unfair.

Buzz
10-07-2010, 02:45 PM
Congratulations to Mr. Llosa! :respec:

Jimena
10-07-2010, 07:38 PM
I had read, coming from some Spanish literature circles, some gossip about how Vargas Llosa had some opposition cause his political evolution (to liberalism) and political activities in the past, or cause he was considered part of the same literary movement that would have been recognized when Gabriel García Márquez received the award.

I had a hard time believing any of those reasons as serious, but since there were talk about other Spanish language writers that were now being told as possible winners of the prize instead, it seemed to me that he could be left apart, what I certainly found a bit unfair.

Another thing I read was that he lobbied for the prize was was "unseemly".

I love his work and I'm glad he finally won it.

equatorial
10-07-2010, 08:17 PM
he was considered part of the same literary movement that would have been recognized when Gabriel García Márquez received the award.

I so dislike Márquez, I don't even know where to start when I want to bitch about him :lol: There was, like, a dozen of Latin American writers who deserved the Nobel Prize more than him: Carpentier, Onetti, Fuentes, Puig, Cortázar, Galeano... You name them. And those are just Spanish-language writers. What about Brazil? Jorge Amado freaking died without receiving a Nobel Prize. Hello? Totally worthless writers like Le Clézio and Gao Xingjian got it, and the genius who wrote "Dona Flor e Seus Dois Maridos" was snubbed?!

Jimena
10-07-2010, 08:48 PM
Then again, "Cien años de soledad" is my favorite book ever.

IceAlisa
10-08-2010, 12:32 AM
I tried to like Gao Xingjian and didn't see the appeal either. I have head Dona Flor and her two husbands a looooooooong time ago but it was great. Never heard of this year's lit winner. What can you tell me?

mrinalini
10-08-2010, 04:07 AM
I had to read Vargas Llosa's Aunt Julia and the Scriptwriter for a lit class and was bitching and moaning about it because I had never heard of him. As it turned out, my complaints were unfounded because the book was marvellous - so colourful and simply bursting with life. Much congrats to him for winning the Nobel.

I also never got the fuss over Gao Xingjian - I could barely make it through half of Soul Mountain. If they had to award a Nobel to a person of Chinese descent, they'd have done better with Han Suyin.