PDA

View Full Version : Moving to Atlanta

Jimena
10-03-2010, 02:02 PM
I'm moving to Atlanta for the next few months on a temporary work assignment. I've only been there for short periods of time so I know very little about the place. What are some of the things that I must know about the place? Places I should visit? Things I should avoid? Insider information will be most appreciated!

Stormy
10-03-2010, 06:42 PM
I've visited the ATL many times, I really love it down there. The traffic is INSANE. I've been stuck in a major traffic jam at 1 in the morning on the highway. That said, there's plenty of things to do. My favorite things are the Georgia Aquarium, World of Coke and The Varsity restaurant. Will you be living in the city or a suburb?

ArtisticFan
10-03-2010, 07:39 PM
I have lived in the Atlanta area for quite a while - live about 60 miles north of the city now.

Traffic can be a pain, especially south and east of town. There are 500 plus streets with Peachtree in the title, which does get confusing. Do you know what area you will be living in?

Allen
10-03-2010, 07:57 PM
Every time I go to Atlanta I have to eat at the Vortex. I dream about the tater tot fondue there from time to time :)

Jimena
10-04-2010, 01:58 AM
I don't know where I'll be living in but I'll be working close to the Emory area. That's about all I know.

Allen
10-04-2010, 02:15 AM
I don't know where I'll be living in but I'll be working close to the Emory area. That's about all I know.

If you are close to Emory, you'll be close to Little Five Points and the Virginia-Highland neighborhoods, both of which have a lot a cool restaurants/bars and some interesting shops.

ArtisticFan
10-04-2010, 03:49 PM
There is also a fabulous hole in the wall little sandwich and salad place called Broadway Cafe near Emory on North Druid Hills. It is certainly a place to check out. It has moved several times, but it reappears in the area so don't be concerned if you see a closed version of it.

genevieve
10-04-2010, 04:27 PM
If you are close to Emory, you'll be close to Little Five Points and the Virginia-Highland neighborhoods, both of which have a lot a cool restaurants/bars and some interesting shops.
I've only been to ATL once, but I really loved Little Five Points. The shops are cool, but we walked around the neighborhood and it was quite lovely.

And yes, everything is Peachtree. :scream:

Cyn
10-06-2010, 10:22 AM
Unless the rental market has bottomed out, the rents in the Emory area are pretty expensive. As mentioned upthread, your best bet is to look in the Little Five Points/Candler Park area - you can find a lot of apartments (either in actual apartment buildings or in homes than have been converted into units.

I lived in Candler Park and absolutely loved it - it's walking distance to L5P, has a wonderful park, and the area is loaded with all kinds of charisma and character, lots of really cool shops, and to the best of my knowledge, hasn't been overly invaded by corporate America (though I do know there's now a Starbucks there :scream: - that was my cue to move from there to Seattle).

It's also a short drive to Emory, and it is also easily accessible via MARTA (the bus service).

If you have any questions, shoot me a PM - I grew up in Atlanta and know the city like the back of my hand.