View Full Version : 2010 Commonwealth Games (Delhi) Thread

Pages : 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 7

Domshabfan
10-03-2010, 05:28 PM
noooo.... they added 'jai ho' to opening ceremony

allezfred
10-03-2010, 06:43 PM
Loved the yoga, train and AR Rahman Bollywood at the end. Jai ho! :cheer2:

And no malfunctioning equipment either. ;)

iamawake2
10-03-2010, 07:02 PM
Is there a link to watch this in Seattle?

allezfred
10-03-2010, 07:39 PM
Is there a link to watch this in Seattle?

I don't know, but the opening ceremony is over a few hours now.

allezfred
10-04-2010, 02:56 PM
Some amazing images below:

India Prepares for the Commonwealth Games (http://www.boston.com/bigpicture/2010/10/india_prepares_for_the_commonw.html?camp=localsear ch%3Aon%3Atwit%3Artbutton)

Norlite
10-04-2010, 03:07 PM
Some amazing images below:

India Prepares for the Commonwealth Games (http://www.boston.com/bigpicture/2010/10/india_prepares_for_the_commonw.html?camp=localsear ch%3Aon%3Atwit%3Artbutton)

Wow, just wow.

And I might add, although all are very powerful pictures, I couldn't help but notice #9.

He should be carved in marble.

allezfred
10-04-2010, 08:05 PM
Watching some of Day 1 highlights. Australia doing well in the pool. Surprise, surprise. ;)

Debris in the pool. :yikes:

Allen
10-04-2010, 08:14 PM
Debris in the pool. :yikes:

:slinkaway Gross, I'd hate to know what kind.

allezfred
10-04-2010, 11:45 PM
:slinkaway Gross, I'd hate to know what kind.

It came from the roof apparently.

AragornElessar
10-05-2010, 03:10 AM
Both my Dad and I were wondering if it some of the birds the commentators were talking about seeing inside the venue had used it for a bathroom. It certainly looked like that from the angles it was being shown at. Glad to hear it was only from the roof, but who knows what's up there too, so...

Never have seen that happen at a major swim meet before.

YAY Ryan Cochrane and Congrats on Canada's first gold medal in the 400 in over 70 years!!! I left my TV on CBC Bold last night and fell asleep watching the Opening Ceremonies Encore. So, what wakes me up this morning?

....With glowing hearts, we see thee rise, the true North strong and free....

Now *that* was a lovely way to wake up. :D First thing I saw on the screen when I shot up into a sitting position was that gorgeous Maple Leaf going up to the rafters in the middle spot. A sight I never, ever, get tired of seeing. :D

Congrats to both of our Bronze Medalists in the pool!! One thing I miss though is the tradition of Canadian Swimming Medalists at major events bringing out the frisbees to throw into the crowd when they're headed either to or away from the podium. Victor Davis always had a really good toss and I would have hated to have to play a game of Frisbee Tag w/that guy. :)

Congratulations as well to our Canadian Men's Gymnastics Team on the Team Bronze!!!

Nice start for Canada to the Games!! :D

Oh, both my parents were asking about the "scarfs" the Medalists were being given, but I didn't know anything about them. I did guess prayer shawls, but doubt that's right. Anyone out there know the answer?

Fergus
10-05-2010, 01:35 PM
Love that CWGDelhi2010.org displays the athlete's middle names in the results.

Hayden Ernest Stoeckel.........awwww! :swoon:

allezfred
10-05-2010, 02:41 PM
YAY Ryan Cochrane and Congrats on Canada's first gold medal in the 400 in over 70 years!!! I left my TV on CBC Bold last night and fell asleep watching the Opening Ceremonies Encore. So, what wakes me up this morning?

....With glowing hearts, we see thee rise, the true North strong and free....

Now *that* was a lovely way to wake up. :D First thing I saw on the screen when I shot up into a sitting position was that gorgeous Maple Leaf going up to the rafters in the middle spot. A sight I never, ever, get tired of seeing. :D

Congrats to both of our Bronze Medalists in the pool!! One thing I miss though is the tradition of Canadian Swimming Medalists at major events bringing out the frisbees to throw into the crowd when they're headed either to or away from the podium. Victor Davis always had a really good toss and I would have hated to have to play a game of Frisbee Tag w/that guy. :)

Congratulations as well to our Canadian Men's Gymnastics Team on the Team Bronze!!!

Nice start for Canada to the Games!! :D

AragornElessar, which country are you from again? ;)

kylet3
10-05-2010, 03:03 PM
AragornElessar, which country are you from again? ;)

Although not much to cheer about today... behind India in the medal standings... :slinkaway

Domshabfan
10-05-2010, 03:32 PM
Although not much to cheer about today... behind India in the medal standings... :slinkaway

india will do well it seems in shooting , Archery,weightlifting, Wrestling, maybe Boxing, Badminton and Doubles Tennis.

Unlike Olympics where china, Russia and its neighboring -istan dominate, India get to dominate here because they are not part of this commonwealth ;)(even though they are part of British commonwealth). though Indians have improved in these events with few world champions, world medalist and World top 3 medals.

Unfortunately for canada, these games do not have Rowing, caneoing/Kayaking etc, interestingly Canadians go on to win olympic medal in the events they win commonwealth games.

kylet3
10-05-2010, 04:33 PM
india will do well it seems in shooting , Archery,weightlifting, Wrestling, maybe Boxing, Badminton and Doubles Tennis.

Unlike Olympics where china, Russia and its neighboring -istan dominate, India get to dominate here because they are not part of this commonwealth ;)(even though they are part of British commonwealth). though Indians have improved in these events with few world champions, world medalist and World top 3 medals.

Unfortunately for canada, these games do not have Rowing, caneoing/Kayaking etc, interestingly Canadians go on to win olympic medal in the events they win commonwealth games.

You also have to look at the size of the teams. India's team is basically double that of Canada's, and we did manage to win a couple medals today. We just have to step it up the next few days, we are only 5 medals behind which can be caught up in the pool, wrestling, cycling, track, Gymnastics as well, so I'm not giving up yet. Just a tough today that's all