PDA

View Full Version : Tony Curtis Dies at 85

Pages : 1 [2] 3

BrokenAnkle
09-30-2010, 04:31 PM
He was wonderful, especially in one of my all time favorites: The Great Race

emason
09-30-2010, 04:49 PM
OK, I'll confess; one of my big guilty pleasures is Operation Petticoat.

RIP, Mr. Curtis.

GarrAarghHrumph
09-30-2010, 07:46 PM
I never even heard he was sick.

I know he'd had COPD, but he died of cardiac arrest.

mrinalini
09-30-2010, 07:47 PM
Both were Jewish and extremely popular with the women, so I can see why one would get confused between Eddie and Tony. :lol: I've never heard stories of Tony's atrocious parenting skills, however, so he probably has one up on Eddie.

Anyways, I loved him in Some Like It Hot as he was such a hoot - the image of him batting his eyes in drag with his lips pooching out whilst holding forth his string of pearls cracks me up just thinking about it. The Sheboygan Conservatory of Music...we got time off for good behaviour...:lol:

RIP, Mr. Curtis.

AragornElessar
09-30-2010, 08:31 PM
He was also a talented artist too, wasn't he? Or am I thinking of someone else.

Regardless, I also adore Some Like It Hot and always try to catch it when it's on TCM. He really was a very talented man.

My condolences to Jamie and the Family. :(

masofs
09-30-2010, 08:39 PM
RIP!:(

"Some Like It Hot" is a fave of mine.

NeilJLeonard
09-30-2010, 08:46 PM
RIP to all of the old guard who've departed recently.. They're dropping like flies now, it seems...:(

NJL

DarrellH
09-30-2010, 10:39 PM
He was in one of my favorite guilty pleasure movies..."Goodbye Charlie".

Eden
09-30-2010, 11:03 PM
RIP, Bernie Schwartz (Tony Curtis).

!יהי זכרך ברוך

duane
10-01-2010, 12:32 AM
I loved him in Some Like It Hot as he was such a hoot - the image of him batting his eyes in drag with his lips pooching out whilst holding forth his string of pearls cracks me up just thinking about it. The Sheboygan Conservatory of Music...we got time off for good behaviour...
Classic!! I think Tony's Joe/Josephine is one of the most underrated comedic performances in film history. It's a crime that only Jack Lemmon (and not Tony or Marilyn Monroe) was nominated for an Academy award.

Funny, but SLIH is the only Tony Curtis film I've ever seen.

Jot the Dot Dot
10-01-2010, 02:04 AM
Anyone remember "The Pursuaders", the TV series he did with Roger Moore?

RIP, my good man.

Aussie Willy
10-01-2010, 02:37 AM
He was wonderful, especially in one of my all time favorites: The Great Race
I was trying to think of other movies he was in. I love The Great Race too. Great weekend afternoon entertainment.

I am seeing a production of Sugar tonight which is the musical version of Some Like it Hot. Looking forward to it.

Jenny
10-04-2010, 04:42 PM
He was also a talented artist too, wasn't he? Or am I thinking of someone else.

Yes! There's been little mention of it in the coverage I've seen, but his paintings have been highly acclaimed in the past, and I'm glad Jamie Lee mentioned it in her statement.

I have a numbered print of one of his paintings, and I love it. :)

AragornElessar
10-05-2010, 01:47 AM
From the CBC...

CBC Arts ~ Fans line up for Tony Curtis funeral (http://www.cbc.ca/arts/film/story/2010/10/04/tony-curtis-funeral.html)

Lorac
10-05-2010, 03:07 AM
Classic!! I think Tony's Joe/Josephine is one of the most underrated comedic performances in film history. It's a crime that only Jack Lemmon (and not Tony or Marilyn Monroe) was nominated for an Academy award.

Funny, but SLIH is the only Tony Curtis film I've ever seen.

I agree - Tony was amazing in SLIH. But if you can I would recommend some of his other films that all go to show he was a versatile performer - "Sweet Smell of Success", "The Definate Ones" and "Operation Petticott" to name a few. RIP Tony Curtis - you will be missed.