PDA

View Full Version : Fall MOVIE thread...

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 [8] 9

MikiAndoFan#1
10-30-2010, 10:57 AM
Tomorrow I might go see Life as We Know It.

:cheer:

I loved the trailer, so I'm hoping I'll love the whole movie!

Satellitegirl
10-31-2010, 04:35 AM
I saw "Let Me In" the American version, today. I liked it. I'll have to see the Swedish version soon too.

emason
10-31-2010, 05:01 AM
I'll have to see the Swedish version soon too.

Whatever you do, don't get it from Netflix. The Swedish is dubbed into English but the subtitles are kept and don't match the dubbing. 1) dubbing never sounds natural. 2) It's very disconcerting to hear someone say "You really shouldn't do that" and see a subtitle that says "Cut that out now". (This is just a general example. I can't remember specifically what irritated me.)

Anyway, I gave up halfway through the movie. There might be a good movie there, but the dubbing and subtitle issues were just too distracting to me. I am know kicking myself that I didn't see this in a theater.

BigB08822
10-31-2010, 04:39 PM
I got Let The Right One In from Netflix and had no problems. It wasn't dubbed, just had subtitles. I had heard about one version that was poorly subtitled, taking out a lot of important words that changed things. From the caps I saw online, the Netflix version I got was the one that used better subtitles. Maybe you got an old disc?

ETA: Now that I think about it, I probably watched it on Netflix online with their instant streaming. Maybe that makes a difference?

emason
10-31-2010, 07:05 PM
I got Let The Right One In from Netflix and had no problems. It wasn't dubbed, just had subtitles. I had heard about one version that was poorly subtitled, taking out a lot of important words that changed things. From the caps I saw online, the Netflix version I got was the one that used better subtitles. Maybe you got an old disc?

ETA: Now that I think about it, I probably watched it on Netflix online with their instant streaming. Maybe that makes a difference?

I don't know; I just know I got a disc that had English dubbing that did not match the English subtitles. Dubbing is always so flat; the voice-over/dubbing actors just never seem to get any emotion in their voices. Then to have the dubbed English not match the English of the subtitles was heinous and hilarious, both at the same time. I so wanted to like this movie and I so had to give up halfway through because I just couldn't stand the dubbing issues one moment longer.

Buzz
10-31-2010, 08:54 PM
Just saw "Conviction" in cinema and it is a very good movie. Worth the watching, had me nearly in tears at least once.

BigB08822
11-04-2010, 05:59 AM
I went and saw Paranormal Activity 2 tonight. I really liked it. I know some people hated the first one but I really liked it and I thought they did an excellent job at making another one. They kept it very similar to the first while not being a carbon copy. I liked how the story worked to gel with the first movie. I guess this will be the new franchise since it seems Saw is done...for now.

orbitz
12-10-2010, 04:17 PM
Anyone planning to see The Tourist ? 17% on Rotten Tomatoes. Ouch. The consensus seems to be that Depp is a bore trying to play an ordinary man. We'll see this weekend how much star power the combination of Depp and Jolie can generate to get people to ignore the hugely negative reviews for this film.

MarieM
12-10-2010, 04:21 PM
Since Jolie's in it, I won't go. I can't stand the "thing".

Buzz
12-10-2010, 04:36 PM
Slightly off topic but I read somewhere that M. Night Shyamalan is looking for someone else to direct The Last Airbender 2.

Artemis@BC
12-10-2010, 06:11 PM
Just saw The King's Speech at a preview last night. Loved, loved, loved it! I had pretty high expectations because of the stellar cast and the subject matter, but it did not disappoint. I wasn't even bothered by Helena Bonham-Carter, who I thought might be too, well, Helenaish in that role.

And Timothy Spall as Churchill rocked! I can't recall him ever seeing him in a role that wasn't working class or rough, so this was quite a departure for him.

Of course Firth was superb, and Rush was great and not at all over-the-top (something else I'd been concerned about).

The serious Oscar buzz on Best Supporting says that Geoffrey Rush in The King's Speech is the one to watch for, but since it hasn't opened here yet, there is no way to tell at this point.

This is one of those examples where it's hard to say which category he deserves to be nominated for. IMO, his role is too big to be classified as "supporting" (I'd actually give the nod to Guy Pierce as Edward for a truly "supporting" role). But Firth is the obvious lead in this movie, so where does that leave Rush?

emason
12-11-2010, 01:14 AM
Of course Firth was superb, and Rush was great and not at all over-the-top (something else I'd been concerned about).

This is one of those examples where it's hard to say which category he deserves to be nominated for. IMO, his role is too big to be classified as "supporting" (I'd actually give the nod to Guy Pierce as Edward for a truly "supporting" role). But Firth is the obvious lead in this movie, so where does that leave Rush?

Well, since I last posted on this, the film did open here and I did go see it. Firth was superb, but for me, the performance of the film was Rush's. I just loved him in this. However, it's not about what he deserves to be nominated for, but what it's politically expedient for him to be nominated for. He already has a Best Actor Oscar so the studio won't campaign for a nomination for his in the category when they really want the nomination and, hopefully, the win for Firth (who in my humble opinion was jobbed of the win for last year's A Single Man).

skatemommy
12-11-2010, 01:57 AM
Slightly off topic but I read somewhere that M. Night Shyamalan is looking for someone else to direct The Last Airbender 2.

My DD knew there would be a 2 since the 1st ending. She hated it because it so deviated from the cartoon. I love the Avatar cartoon, I can watch it all day (guilty pleasure).

mila19
12-12-2010, 12:02 AM
I vouch for "The Town". Jeremy Renner is great there, so great that I Ben Affleck's inability to crack a facial expression didn't bother me much.
Anyone has seen "127 hours"?

Artemis@BC
12-13-2010, 09:19 PM
... and, hopefully, the win for Firth (who in my humble opinion was jobbed of the win for last year's A Single Man).

ITA on both counts. I was trying to think of any "aging actor playing down-and-out-comeback character" part this year ( la Rourke & Bridges) that would rob Firth again, but none are springing to mind.