PDA

View Full Version : Fall MOVIE thread...

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 6 [7] 8 9

Wyliefan
10-12-2010, 04:45 AM
I'm guessing that I'm the only person in the known universe who's going to see Hereafter because of the Dickens subplot. Matt Damon leaves me cold, but I will squeal like a thirteen-year-old fangirl when Dickens's picture comes on the screen. (Yes, I've already found out that Dickens's picture is going to be on the screen.) :shuffle:

Grannyfan
10-14-2010, 10:33 PM
I rarely go to the movies, but I actually saw two within the past week. Let Me In I thought was quite good, if a little bloody for my taste. (No pun intended.) I like Richard Jenkins, and both the kids were very good. I know I've seen them before but can't remember where. It was a heartbreaking story, so we decided to see Secretariat a few days later for a happy ending. It's no Seabiscuit, but I enjoyed the racing parts even though I knew the outcome. The rest was pretty blah. I though Diane Lane and especially John Malkovich were wasted. He had little to do except wear outlandish outfits and mutter under his breath in French. If I had it to do over, I'd wait for the DVD.

Rock2
10-14-2010, 10:40 PM
I rarely go to the movies, but I actually saw two within the past week. Let Me In I thought was quite good, if a little bloody for my taste. (No pun intended.) I like Richard Jenkins, and both the kids were very good. I know I've seen them before but can't remember where. It was a heartbreaking story, so we decided to see Secretariat a few days later for a happy ending. It's no Seabiscuit, but I enjoyed the racing parts even though I knew the outcome. The rest was pretty blah. I though Diane Lane and especially John Malkovich were wasted. He had little to do except wear outlandish outfits and mutter under his breath in French. If I had it to do over, I'd wait for the DVD.

I want to see Let Me In, too. I saw the original, Let The Right One In when it came out a few years ago. Very well done and done up in a way that only Europeans can. I recommend it.

Rock2
10-14-2010, 10:45 PM
I'm guessing that I'm the only person in the known universe who's going to see Hereafter because of the Dickens subplot. Matt Damon leaves me cold, but I will squeal like a thirteen-year-old fangirl when Dickens's picture comes on the screen. (Yes, I've already found out that Dickens's picture is going to be on the screen.) :shuffle:

I saw Hereafter at the Toronto Film Fest. I liked it a lot. Sat with a top Toronto movie critic and had dinner with him before the flick. I brought up the casting of Damon which I thought was unusual as well. I was expecting a different mood for the film and was thus expecting someone like Javier Bardem.

The critic's reply is that Eastwood doesn't make casting mistakes. In addition he claimed that Damon's role in The Informant basically rebranded him as a versatile actor who can transform himself. I'm not a HUGE Damon fan but I netted out that he was the right choice for the role. You'll like him. The little boy's story is gut wrenching. Keep in mind though the movie doesn't move at a breakneck pace; Eastwood's style is methodical and deliberate (Gran Torino, Million Dollar Baby). If you aren't unsettled by the subject matter and allow yourself to be absorbed into the story you'll like the movie a lot.

Rock2
10-14-2010, 10:47 PM
JT was also very funny and endearing when he played the singing hotdog on SNL. So out of 5 members of N'Sync, only one had any real talent.

JT is exceptionally talented overall. He's a great overall entertainer although he doesn't do any one thing in a particularly superior way. He's in tune with his audience, is quick-witted and has great comedic timing; tools that many artists don't have.

His biggest limitation for acting is his voice. He doesn't project well and his register is unfortunately high. So, he'll be very limited in the roles he can play. He has taken lessons and therapy to lower his voice but this can only go so far.

Ryan Reynolds has the same problem, to a lesser degree.

genevieve
10-14-2010, 11:22 PM
JT is exceptionally talented overall. He's a great overall entertainer although he doesn't do any one thing in a particularly superior way. He's in tune with his audience, is quick-witted and has great comedic timing; tools that many artists don't have.
In other words, he's the male Madonna :P (ok ok he's a far better actor than Madonna...)

I saw the Social Network and it was quite good, but of all the actors in that film, Timberlake is not the one I'd nominate for awards. He did a very good job with the broadest (easiest) role in the film. That said, I think he does have promise as an actor, and his comedic work is great. Forget Dick in a Box, all of his SNL Bee Gees skits are freakin hilarious.

I'm still overdue for most of the summer movies I wanted to see. But while I'm still visiting my mom, I might go see RED. :shuffle:

emason
10-18-2010, 01:50 PM
I saw The Social Network this weekend and I give it a B+. It was not the great movie I was expecting based on all the reviews I've read and heard.

I found it way, way too talky and the crucial first scene came across as so forced and unbelievable. Sorkin couldn't seem to put aside his playwright's roots for this. This certainly wouldn't be my choice for the Best Screenplay Adaptation Oscar.

Overall, I'd say I liked the movie, but I didn't LOVE it and I'm only recommending it with reservations.

cailuj365
10-23-2010, 10:27 PM
I saw the The Social Network last night. I really enjoyed it. I loved the fast pace of the dialogue and the sharp humor. I thought JT was good, but I was more impressed with Garfield and Eisenberg (wow).

Allskate
10-24-2010, 12:30 AM
The Town is my favorite movie from this fall. I'm not a big fan of Ben Affleck's acting, but I think he's a very good director.

I prefer Matt Damon's acting and think he generally has good taste in projects, so I'm looking forward to The Hereafter.

Satellitegirl
10-24-2010, 12:36 AM
I'm going to see "Red" tomorrow. Looking forward to it, as the cast is great.

Allskate
10-25-2010, 01:38 AM
I saw Red. I really liked it, but my friend definitely did not. As she put it, too many things and people being blown up. I'm not usually an action/adventure fan. It's really the characters and humor that will lead a lot of people to like it or not. It kind of reminded me of Oceans 11.

Wyliefan
10-25-2010, 02:09 AM
I saw Hereafter at the Toronto Film Fest. I liked it a lot. Sat with a top Toronto movie critic and had dinner with him before the flick. I brought up the casting of Damon which I thought was unusual as well. I was expecting a different mood for the film and was thus expecting someone like Javier Bardem.

The critic's reply is that Eastwood doesn't make casting mistakes. In addition he claimed that Damon's role in The Informant basically rebranded him as a versatile actor who can transform himself. I'm not a HUGE Damon fan but I netted out that he was the right choice for the role. You'll like him. The little boy's story is gut wrenching. Keep in mind though the movie doesn't move at a breakneck pace; Eastwood's style is methodical and deliberate (Gran Torino, Million Dollar Baby). If you aren't unsettled by the subject matter and allow yourself to be absorbed into the story you'll like the movie a lot.

Well, aside from enjoying the Dickens references . . . turned out I couldn't really get into it much. :shuffle: I felt like the various subplots and the way they came together were a little thin, and the subject matter, far from unsettling, seemed shallow. All that obsession with life after death and scientific proof and the ultimate questions, and it comes down to whether Matt Damon and Cecile what's-her-name will get together? Um, okay. To me it just felt like it bit off more than it could chew. However, I agree the acting and directing were very good.

Satellitegirl
10-25-2010, 02:18 PM
I saw Red. I really liked it, but my friend definitely did not. As she put it, too many things and people being blown up. I'm not usually an action/adventure fan. It's really the characters and humor that will lead a lot of people to like it or not. It kind of reminded me of Oceans 11.

I enjoyed it and thought it was funny. Malkovich's character was hilarious. I loved Helen Mirren too. Overall a good movie.

Cupid
10-25-2010, 03:58 PM
Paranormal 2 - caught this at the matinee this weekend. It was okay. Kept my attention. The scariest part had the audience laughing, so maybe it wasnt so scary. I'd give it a 2 out of 4.

Nothing compares to the Blair Witch Project for scariness - I was never so terrified in my life (maybe because I thought it really was based on a true story). Anything after watching that doesnt scare me anymore.

Satellitegirl
10-25-2010, 07:28 PM
I was all into the Blair Witch Project when it came out...then I found out it wasn't real and didn't bother seeing it until months later lol. When I did see it, I thought it was rather boring.