PDA

View Full Version : Fall MOVIE thread...

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 [6] 7 8 9

jenny12
10-10-2010, 04:55 AM
Again, the Mark Zuckerberg IRL isn't nearly as creepy, at least in appearance as Jesse Eisenberg's portrayal. He is actually somewhat shy and even cute. It was mentioned that the one part the movie had wrong is that Mark never really had problems getting with women. And if you watch the videos, you can see why. He is nowhere near as repulsive and arrogant in those. But who knows what he is like off camera.

That said, I too see Oscars, lots of of Oscars, perhaps a win for Sorkin and a nom for Eisenberg.

Yeah, I read that he had a steady girlfriend throughout college (who he is still with). ITA that no one knows what he's really like off-camera, but in the interviews I've seen he's usually pretty smiley and, while shy, nothing like Eisenberg's portrayal. I think Eisenberg did a great job in the movie and his characterization worked for the film, but I think the real Zuckerberg looks more like Justin Timberlake than Eisenberg. I heard Sorkin say he got information from people who knew Zuckerberg during his time at Harvard so, as always, the truth is probably somewhere in between.

Satellitegirl
10-10-2010, 07:40 PM
I saw "Life As We Know It" today, and full of cliches or not, it was really good. Loved both Josh and Kathryn Heigl.

orbitz
10-11-2010, 12:29 AM
If you go by critical reviews then Heigel seems to be making one stinker after another. I don't think her movie career is going to last very long if she can't find a good project to be in soon.

I didn't really like the preview I saw of "The Tourist", but I hope it'll be good. Ever since I visited Venice years ago, I'm a sucker for any film that uses Venice as a location.

Lacey
10-11-2010, 12:35 AM
:P Um, not quite but he was surprisingly good. Who knew he had it in him?

Timberlake's SNL *ick in a Box had to be one of the funniest skits ever, and on there no less! I believe he won an Emmy for that. I seriously think Hollywood might go for the Oscar for him, it's "only" Supporting.

Anita18
10-11-2010, 02:48 AM
Timberlake's SNL *ick in a Box had to be one of the funniest skits ever, and on there no less! I believe he won an Emmy for that. I seriously think Hollywood might go for the Oscar for him, it's "only" Supporting.
Supporting Acting has nothing to do with being "subpar" from Best Acting. Heath Ledger and Christoph Waltz's Oscar-winning performances were more memorable than the "Best Actor" winners of their respective years. It's about screentime.

If Sony were to seriously campaign The Social Network for acting awards, they only have so much money to go around, so it would be Eisenberg for Best Acting and Garfield for Supporting.

emason
10-11-2010, 12:31 PM
The serious Oscar buzz on Best Supporting says that Geoffrey Rush in The King's Speech is the one to watch for, but since it hasn't opened here yet, there is no way to tell at this point.

Matryeshka
10-11-2010, 04:20 PM
Justin Timberlake's received critical praise for his acting ability before. I think had he never been in N'Sync, we might know him better as an actor than a singer, though if he hadn't been in N'Sync, he'd probably never gotten any acting opportunities.

The more I think about The Social Network, the more I like it, especially compared to Wall Street: Money Never Sleeps, which was a total phone-it-in, cliche-driven, telegraphed redemption hot mess of a movie. It could have been a great movie, and there were parts of it that were great, but in the end it was a dull movie that said nothing except in the last 20 minutes of every movie, the boy has to get the girl. :blah:

IceAlisa
10-11-2010, 04:23 PM

I had missed that one. Will look for it on youtube.

smurfy
10-11-2010, 04:44 PM
Just saw 'Conviction' in my film club. We were the first in the public to see the film on the planet (We were searched by FoxSearchlight reps). Hilary Swank as a sister that goes to law school to free her brother out of jail for a murder conviction. It was very good, not excellent. Swank was good, Sam Rockwell as her brother was great! Also Juliette Lewis has a couple of scenes and is brillant! Wouldn't be suprised if she is nominated as supporting actress. Also Minnie Driver as Swanks' lawyer buddy.
The movie was interesting, but I had read about it, and was predictable is some ways. The 'epilogue' at the end was disappointing as it missed a key fact. The movie ends in about 2002. The brother actually died 6 months after, and it was not listed in the few sentences at the end, more what the sister is now doing the how many folks Project Innocence has helped free. Trying to make it upbeat, I would guess.

Buzz
10-11-2010, 05:06 PM
I want to see Conviction when it opens. Saw the trailer on Youtube and it gives WAY too much of the movie away but will still see it anyway. :) BTW the actors and director of the movie wa son Larry King last night along with the sister. Did not watch because I would rather see the movie first. For anyone who wants to read more here is a 2001 people magazine article. :)

http://www.people.com/people/archive/article/0,,20134085,00.html

orbitz
10-11-2010, 05:28 PM

JT was also very funny and endearing when he played the singing hotdog on SNL. So out of 5 members of N'Sync, only one had any real talent.

BigB08822
10-11-2010, 08:36 PM
JT was also very funny and endearing when he played the singing hotdog on SNL. So out of 5 members of N'Sync, only one had any real talent.

Oh come on now. Just because only one has gone on to any real success outside of the group doesn't mean that the other members were not talented. Their talents may have just been more limited to music and singing. Let's not forget, they all could dance!

PeterG
10-12-2010, 01:07 AM

I thought JC Chasez' solo CD was totally under-rated. Here's samples:

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00138H16E/sr=8-3-catcorr/qid=1286841916/ref=sr_1_3_digr?ie=UTF8&qid=1286841916&sr=8-3-catcorr

I think the lead single, "Some Girls (Dance With Women)" turned people off. I think he was trying to be risque, but came off as boorish... :(

BigB08822
10-12-2010, 01:57 AM
I also really liked JC's album but was too ashamed to admit I knew of its existence. LOL! He was always the sexiest member, IMO.

Theatregirl1122
10-12-2010, 03:11 AM
Joey's been on Broadway a couple of times. But that doesn't mean he was good.