PDA

View Full Version : Fall MOVIE thread...

Pages : 1 2 3 4 [5] 6 7 8 9

Bostonfan
10-07-2010, 11:57 AM
I have to admit that I will be shelling out the bucks to see "Secretariat". I'm a sucker for a horse movie!

Artemis@BC
10-07-2010, 05:38 PM
I want to see (The King's Speech) too. Firth, Gambon, Spall, Jacobi, Ehle, Andrews . . . what a dream cast!

And if that weren't enough, add in Guy Pierce, Geoffrey Rush and Helena Bonham-Carter. Hadn't heard of the film before today but it's definitely on my list now!

Wyliefan
10-07-2010, 05:51 PM
I probably should've mentioned them, but they're not on my SQUEE! list like the others. :)

Artemis@BC
10-07-2010, 06:34 PM
^ Well, no, not really the same squee rating here either, but still shows what a powerhouse cast. I'm most excited about seeing Anthony Andrews again after so long! (insert swooning emoticon here)

Wyliefan
10-07-2010, 09:44 PM
^ Well, no, not really the same squee rating here either, but still shows what a powerhouse cast. I'm most excited about seeing Anthony Andrews again after so long! (insert swooning emoticon here)

Same here. :swoon: He is SO swoonworthy.

stanhope
10-08-2010, 03:33 AM
I saw 'The Social Network' and really enjoyed it. Makes me want to know the real story though, but as entertainment it was good fast paced ride. Loved the opening scene with Mark and girl. Also still chuckling over 'forced cannibalism' - just cracks me up. Movie is entertainment, liking it does not mean one believes it. Well written movie. Fan of Aaron Sorkin, always have been.

I can't stop laughing at the "Winklevi" line!

IceAlisa
10-08-2010, 04:44 AM
I can't stop laughing at the "Winklevi" line!

I know, right, :lol:

Artemis@BC
10-08-2010, 05:45 PM
Watched Sorkin's interview on Colbert last night. I thought it was interesting that he's not actually a fan of Facebook, he just thought how it came about was such a great story -- especially the 3 sides of it. Loved his line about social networking/socializing on the Internet is to socializing as reality TV is to reality. :respec:

Anita18
10-08-2010, 06:37 PM
Watched Sorkin's interview on Colbert last night. I thought it was interesting that he's not actually a fan of Facebook, he just thought how it came about was such a great story -- especially the 3 sides of it. Loved his line about social networking/socializing on the Internet is to socializing as reality TV is to reality. :respec:
I also liked Colbert's question about the women depicted in the movie, and Sorkin's answer. I personally wasn't up in arms over the "trophy" female characters, mostly because I thought it spoke more about the male characters and what kind of women they chose to hang out with. :shuffle:

ebayj
10-09-2010, 06:26 AM
I saw The Social Network on Saturday and thought it definitely has Best Adapted Screenplay Oscar in the bag for sure. :lol: The dialogue is really very good, and I also think that it doesn't make Zuckerberg out to be a total villain. Just completely clueless in the act of communication...as is most of the characters in the movie to some degree, actually. :P Interesting observation of our times, for sure.

I saw it today, and found it to be brilliant. Agree on the Oscar nom. Whip smart writing, but Aaron Sorkin always delivers. I left feeling sorry for Mark Zuckerberg more than anything - but I'm sure his billions ease his pain. He's brilliant, but way socially retarded, and far too easily manipulated in the film (and in the source depositions) - he is portrayed as having seemingly no moral center - which creeps me out. Jesse Eisenberg captured the breathtaking self involvement of most Silicon Valley super-entitled 20-somethings amazingly though. The good news for real life Mark is he is very young, and has time to learn from his mistakes.

made_in_canada
10-09-2010, 09:01 AM
Joining the love and general admiration for The Social Network. That was a brilliant movie. Incredibly well paced and Sorkin did an amazing job. I was also very impressed by Justin Timberlake. I actually forgot that it was Justin Timberlake for a bit.

stanhope
10-09-2010, 01:51 PM
Joining the love and general admiration for The Social Network. That was a brilliant movie. Incredibly well paced and Sorkin did an amazing job. I was also very impressed by Justin Timberlake. I actually forgot that it was Justin Timberlake for a bit.

Word. JT just continues to impress me. I used to loathe him - I mean really loathe him. But that was when NSync was huge and I couldn't stand his music. He is also one of the funniest hosts SNL has ever had. He should make that "5 Timers Club" SNL did a sketch of - Tom Hanks, Robert Gould, Steve Martin, and Paul Simon.

IceAlisa
10-09-2010, 07:29 PM
I saw it today, and found it to be brilliant. Agree on the Oscar nom. Whip smart writing, but Aaron Sorkin always delivers. I left feeling sorry for Mark Zuckerberg more than anything - but I'm sure his billions ease his pain. He's brilliant, but way socially retarded, and far too easily manipulated in the film (and in the source depositions) - he is portrayed as having seemingly no moral center - which creeps me out. Jesse Eisenberg captured the breathtaking self involvement of most Silicon Valley super-entitled 20-somethings amazingly though. The good news for real life Mark is he is very young, and has time to learn from his mistakes.
Again, the Mark Zuckerberg IRL isn't nearly as creepy, at least in appearance as Jesse Eisenberg's portrayal. He is actually somewhat shy and even cute. It was mentioned that the one part the movie had wrong is that Mark never really had problems getting with women. And if you watch the videos, you can see why. He is nowhere near as repulsive and arrogant in those. But who knows what he is like off camera.

That said, I too see Oscars, lots of of Oscars, perhaps a win for Sorkin and a nom for Eisenberg.

Lacey
10-10-2010, 03:53 AM
Justin Timberlake for Best Supporting Actor.

IceAlisa
10-10-2010, 03:58 AM
Justin Timberlake for Best Supporting Actor.

:P Um, not quite but he was surprisingly good. Who knew he had it in him?