PDA

View Full Version : Zenyatta Goes for #19

skipaway
09-28-2010, 08:25 PM
Undefeated Zenyatta will go for her 19th this Sat. and it will be broadcasted live on ESPN. Post time is 7:15pm EST.

sk8pics
10-02-2010, 12:03 AM
Can't wait!! Go Z!:encore: Rinterval may give her a race again!

BTW, a new website has been launched, zenyatta.com. Some beautiful pictures of her running are there. Also, bloodhorse.com has a free download on a day in her life. Very cool.

sk8pics
10-03-2010, 12:55 AM
The Queen stands alone, now with 19 wins in a row! Surpassing the record of Eclipse this time! And Zenyatta is now the all-time leading money winner for female horses. Unbelievable!:encore:

I was drained after the race. She cuts it so close! But when she decided to really run, you could see her cut into Switch's lead with every stride. Mike knew he had it just before the wire, but wow!

skipaway
10-03-2010, 01:07 AM
1 mile and 1/16th is very short for her...Mike Smith said he was just getting her going. He was not worried....I sure was. Congrats Zenyatta 19-0 incredible record!

Article and Video of The Lady's Secret (http://www.bloodhorse.com/horse-racing/articles/59169/19-down-one-big-one-to-go-for-zenyatta)

danceronice
10-03-2010, 03:29 AM
Strictly speaking, she's tied with Pepper's Pride for US wins in a row. But as Pepper never raced outside New Mexico the quality of competition is...substantially higher. (And Pepper earned herself a trip to Tiznow as a result...I wonder who they'll pick for Queen Z?)

Of course they all have a LONG way to go to match the winningest horse of all time, the Hungarian mare Kinscem. She raced all over Europe until, IIRC, she was six. Undefeated in 56 starts. And a good producer when retired. But they don't make them like that any more.

I refuse to make any statements about invincibility until after the Breeder's Cup Classic. I am not going to jinx her, I am not going to jinx her....

sk8pics
10-03-2010, 01:45 PM
Yeah, I know about Pepper's Pride and her accomplishment was amazing in spite of never having run outside New Mexico. Zenyatta still stands alone in terms of unrestricted racing wins in the U.S. (North America?). And has passed Eclipse's record.

I am so hoping she runs well in Churchill Downs. And of course that the weather cooperates. Supposedly, she liked the track when she trained there last year, and of course, it's a longer race, which she should like. And a long homestretch. But, we'll see!

danceronice
10-05-2010, 03:42 PM
The question is: how good have the older males and the maturing three-year-old males gotten in the meantime? Will dirt matter? Zenyatta was 'at home' last time on a surface she liked (though they're getting rid of the poly now.) I am trying to hard to keep my expectations reasonable. But what a way to retire if she becomes the second back to back Classic winner!

genevieve
10-05-2010, 04:33 PM
1 mile and 1/16th is very short for her...Mike Smith said he was just getting her going. He was not worried....I sure was. Congrats Zenyatta 19-0 incredible record!

Article and Video of The Lady's Secret (http://www.bloodhorse.com/horse-racing/articles/59169/19-down-one-big-one-to-go-for-zenyatta)
That was amazing. You can see when Switch started to pull away, Zenyatta says "oh, I don't think so" and just puts it in a different gear :lol:

Beautiful horse :)

sk8pics
10-05-2010, 10:32 PM
The question is: how good have the older males and the maturing three-year-old males gotten in the meantime? Will dirt matter? Zenyatta was 'at home' last time on a surface she liked (though they're getting rid of the poly now.) I am trying to hard to keep my expectations reasonable. But what a way to retire if she becomes the second back to back Classic winner!

All good questions. And do we really know how good Zenyatta has gotten? Mike Smith still says she has never run all out. Trainer Shirreffs claims she is better on dirt, based I presume on her two wins in Arkansas as well as some dirt track training. And that long home stretch at CD, that may be good for her, as long as Mike doesn't move too soon. I agree, what a way to retire if she does it. I am seriously thinking of going to the Breeders' Cup now.... we'll see!

I liked Haskin's column today:
"You want analysis? OK here it is. Zenyatta is last. Zenyatta is circling horses. Zenyatta (on occasion) looks beaten. Oh, never mind, false alarm…again. Zenyatta wins with her ears straight up. What was the time? Who cares? What was the margin? Who cares? Who did she beat? Who cares?
Did she do her dance before the race? Did she stop dead in her tracks in front of the crowd after the race, waiting to be showered with applause? Did she paw at the ground in the winner’s circle? Yes, yes, and yes. Case closed. Analysis completed." http://www.bloodhorse.com/horse-racing/articles/59208/countdown-to-the-cup-where-to-begin

liv
10-06-2010, 05:02 PM
How many times do i have to say that i love this horse? even when i know the outcome, i have shivers up my spine at how she finishes a race. if horse racing thinks they don't have a star, they're wrong. she's a rock star.

Rottie
10-07-2010, 02:19 AM
Thanks for the link, skipaway. That gave me chills. After Zenyatta's seemingly effortless move around the far turn, Switch went into overdrive, and Smith had to smack Z to tell her to find another gear. But when she did, she gained ground with every stride on Switch, who wasn't exactly standing still, and even then she didn't look as though she was working very hard. Wow!