PDA

View Full Version : Crafty things that used to be fashionable

Pages : [1] 2 3 4 5 6

Aussie Willy
09-27-2010, 03:52 AM
I only discovered today that Hobbytex is still around (I wasn't sure if it still existed). That thing where you used tubes of paint on felt following instructions.

http://www.hobbytex.com.au/

Years ago we used to have a neighbour who taught it. Very 70s.

Any other crafts that you remember from years ago that you care to share?

Spinner
09-27-2010, 04:04 AM
My mom used to do this too, but in the states we called it Artex.

Really
09-27-2010, 05:48 AM
Macrame

Clarice
09-27-2010, 11:22 AM
When I was in high school, I learned to do something we called paper tole, where you cut out multiple copies of a picture (like from repeated designs on wrapping paper or something), and then shaped them and layered them with blobs of glue to create a 3-dimensional effect. I never got really into it, but remember doing a Holly Hobby picture for my sister.

Erica Lee
09-27-2010, 12:46 PM
What was that thing called... round, tube like knitting tool with four prongs at the top and you could knit long tubular things and make rugs or the like. I don't think I ever actually turned it into anything, but I sure loved knitting never ending lengths of yarn tubes!

Oh and rug hooking. I used to thing rug hooking was amazing and we even had one hanging in our living room at one point.

Moto Guzzi
09-27-2010, 12:52 PM
What was that thing called... round, tube like knitting tool with four prongs at the top and you could knit long tubular things and make rugs or the like. It's a knitting dolly, and they are still around. Some beaders use them to make necklaces and bracelets: http://www.interweavestore.com/Beading-Jewelry/Projects/Knitting-Dolly-Bracelet.html.

skatefan
09-27-2010, 12:55 PM
What was that thing called... round, tube like knitting tool with four prongs at the top and you could knit long tubular things and make rugs or the like. I don't think I ever actually turned it into anything, but I sure loved knitting never ending lengths of yarn tubes!

Oh and rug hooking. I used to thing rug hooking was amazing and we even had one hanging in our living room at one point.
Do you mean French knitting :)

http://www.sales.fireandfibre.co.uk/html/knitting_shop.html

Holley Calmes
09-27-2010, 01:28 PM
Paint by number kits?

I also had a good time as a child making potholders with a metal frame and these elasticized loops you would weave in and out. They made great Christmas gifts for older female relatives!

Stefanie
09-27-2010, 01:31 PM
The Perler bead things where you'd iron it to make a piece of colored plastic. :)

DickButtonFan
09-27-2010, 01:34 PM
I used to paint those ceramic things. I gave one to my grandmother for Christmas one year and then the next year she sold it at a rummage sale for a quarter :D

zaphyre14
09-27-2010, 01:59 PM
Quilling was a fad for a while - strips of colored paper you twisted into coils and pleats to make pictures.

And there was plastic flower making - you made petal and leaf shapes out of wire then dipped the shaped in jars of plastic goop as if it was bubble soap then let the plastic dry into stained-glass looking things.

Needlepoint is still around.

The childhood craft I wasted a lot of time on was the pot-holder weaving thingies. They sucked as actual potholders because the nylon either melted or didn't protect your hand from the heat but the darned things never wore out. When I was cleaning my mother's kitchen after she died (at 91!) I found two or three of the little squares tucked in a drawer. They make decent hot pads for the counter. :)

My mother also belonged to The Fad-ofThe-Month Club. Every month you got a box with a different kind of craft project. She did a lot of the ones involving yarn or fabric, but I have a cabinet full of unstarted kits for bookends and napkin holders. Something to do when I retire. :)

Ozzisk8tr
09-27-2010, 02:10 PM
String art.
http://www.trocadero.com/condonkay/items/278311/en1.html

Wyliefan
09-27-2010, 02:30 PM
Decoupage. I still have a jewelry box that my grandmother made. She did a nice job on it.

GarrAarghHrumph
09-27-2010, 02:33 PM
I remember back when I was little, purses with wooden handles, where you buttoned on the fabric bag part of the purse, were popular; and a lot of people made the bags that buttoned on.

Crocheting was popular in the 1960 and 1970s, I think. Lots of afghans and ponchos.

PRlady
09-27-2010, 02:33 PM
Paint by number kits?

I also had a good time as a child making potholders with a metal frame and these elasticized loops you would weave in and out. They made great Christmas gifts for older female relatives!

We went to the same summer camp. ;) And I still remember the smell of those paint-by-number kits, they gave me headaches.

Let us not forget making clay ashtrays. Now there's something I'll bet kids don't do anymore. And although it was more of toy than a craft, Spirograph. My poor mom had squares of geometric designs all over the house thanks to my sister and me.