PDA

View Full Version : Why your dishwasher isn't working as well as it used to

Pages : 1 2 3 [4]

judiz
09-26-2010, 09:25 PM
I just switched to Finish Gel Packs and notice that my dishes are actually squeaky clean. We have very hard water where we live and for the first time in a long time my glasses aren't coming out foggy. I've been adding Glass Magic to the wash and it really helps cut the hard water stains.

PDilemma
09-26-2010, 09:26 PM
Right, but I was responding to orbitz's post saying that any family of five or less should handwash dishes because it is more efficient.

I don't know what anyone else does, but left to my own devices, I would eat sandwiches, yogurt, fruit, cheese, bread and cereal most of the time, and wouldn't have many dishes to clean. When it was just my husband and me, we didn't have a dishwasher and there were days where we didn't have a lot of dishes--although I cooked quite a bit even then and so there it was pretty rare to just have a couple of plates and things.

I make nearly everything from scratch, that takes dishes. But it is much cheaper on the grocery bill.

BittyBug
09-27-2010, 03:44 AM
Some NY Times readers have said that Seventh Generation (an eco-friendly brand) is great - anyone use it? I think I will try it next.That's what I use and it seems to work fine.

Prancer
09-27-2010, 05:01 AM
I just switched to Finish Gel Packs and notice that my dishes are actually squeaky clean. We have very hard water where we live and for the first time in a long time my glasses aren't coming out foggy.

That may be the key, because I've also had very good luck with Finish (and with Electrosol before it) and we also have very hard water. We had to throw out our drinking glasses because they were so foggy when I used Cascade, but so far, so good with Finish.

Does anyone use Dishwasher Magic (http://www.amazon.com/Iron-Out-DM06N-Dishwasher-Magic/dp/B000HE9YVU)? I've been using it once a month or so because of our hard water, and I've been thinking of using it more often. But it's kinda pricey.

Jenny
09-27-2010, 02:03 PM
I make nearly everything from scratch, that takes dishes. But it is much cheaper on the grocery bill.

And healthier!

gkelly
09-27-2010, 03:17 PM
I live alone and I run the dishwasher once a week or so, unless I have company and fill it up faster. Sometimes I'll soak dishes or give them a quick rinse first if food is stuck on.

I had been using a store brand powder recently and not getting very good results. Plus the powder is caked in the box and won't shake out, so I think I'll just throw that box away half full.

I switched to an eco-brand (Seventh Generation?) powder I also already had under my sink. That seems to have done a better job.

acraven
09-28-2010, 10:34 AM
I had been using a store brand powder recently and not getting very good results. Plus the powder is caked in the box and won't shake out, so I think I'll just throw that box away half full.

I wasn't happy with the initial results from my new dishwasher (a mid-priced, well-reviewed model), so I checked the user guide. The booklet specifically warns about old detergent (and mine was guite old). I bought a new box, and things are definitely looking up. I think I'll go back to not pre-rinsing dishes unless they have a lot of stuck-on food.

The newer dishwashers definitely require rinse agents for proper drying.

Jojo
10-09-2010, 03:51 AM
The stuff you learn at FSU! We've been unhappy with our dishwasher for months, we've had a repairman come in to look at it, but it didn't get much better, we've only been putting dishes on the lower rack because stuff on top wasn't getting clean. We were resigned to buying a new dishwasher asap.

Last week we switched to the Finish Powerballs, and after a half dozen cycles, our dishwasher is back!

So where do I send the cheque for the great advice, to say thanks for the money saved?

Christina
10-09-2010, 07:48 PM
I switched to the Finish powerballs and/or gelpacks about three years ago because they were on sale. We noticed immediately that things were cleaner. We used to use Cascade, and the pan we make tea in would never come clean-it always had the brown stains on it. One wash with Finish (it was Electrasol then) and it worked like a charm. There's usually coupons in the paper for it about once a month. If you are in the southern US, it is buy one get one at Publix this week.

Prancer, I use that Dishwasher Magic once in a while, or I use the Finish cleaner - just depends which coupon I have and if one is on sale. Vinegar works well when I don't want to shell out the $3 for the cleaner. Maybe you could do a vinegar rinse in between the cleaner?

LilJen
10-09-2010, 11:35 PM
I hadn't noticed anything, but then my anal-retentive side has sort of diminished with a family, house, two hairy dogs, etc.

I DEFINITELY have seen a difference since we installed a water softener years ago. The house we moved into 5 years ago was only 10 years old and many of the faucets & showerheads were very screwed up by the hard water scale/scum, such that they had to be replaced. Have not had the problem since we put in the water softener. This might help some of you with hard water (although yeah, it's a big upfront expense) more than different dishwashing liquids.

The REAL moral dilemma I face, though, is: when I have more groceries than can fit in my cloth shopping bags: paper or plastic? I seriously still agonize over this! Kill a tree, or feed our screwy petroleum products industry?

milanessa
10-09-2010, 11:41 PM
Paper.

Lucy25
10-10-2010, 02:08 AM
Boy, I wish I would have opened this thread earlier! I stopped using my dishwasher a couple of months ago because the dishes kept coming out cloudy with spots or a white powdery film on them (I was using Cascade power packs). I tried cleaning the dishwasher a few times, to no avail. I finally came to the conclusion that the machine was just not working well, even though it is only a few years old. I am going to look for Finish tomorrow and try that. Thanks a lot for this information!!