PDA

View Full Version : Grey's Anatomy Thread 2010-2011

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 [21] 22 23

Theatregirl1122
05-13-2011, 07:23 PM
In as much as they played it like Alex was just being spiteful by telling Owen what Mer did, as a statistician who wants to work on clinical trials, he had to do what he did. Everything we do with a randomized trial, is dependent on the assumption of randomization. By messing with the randomization, especially in such a small trial, she's totally invalidated the date.

Speaking of clinical trial procedures, are they giving the control group an injection? Because I can't figure out why on EARTH they aren't conducting a double blind trial? If they are going to open the BRAINS of the control group, they should be administering a placebo injection and the doctors shouldn't even know who has the placebo and who has the actual drug. There is no reason the procedure would be done this way. Their entire plot here is based on a clinical trial process that would never be approved.

On PP: What Naomi pulled with the girl looking for the abortion was RIDICULOUS. I was so pissed. I'm glad that Addison said what she said.

But I'm also so glad that Naomi was there for Betsy. I was so upset when they let Betsy go into foster care. Some times you just have to step up and that was one of those times. If they had sent Betsy back to foster care again, I think I'd have thrown my computer. And that is bad for the computer.

pixie cut
05-13-2011, 07:43 PM
On PP: What Naomi pulled with the girl looking for the abortion was RIDICULOUS. I was so pissed. I'm glad that Addison said what she said.

As sad as it is, Naomi doing that with a patient is actually one of the more accurate and truthful things they've shown on Private Practice. Addison's little speech as she went into the operating room was relevant and powerful.

Theatregirl1122
05-13-2011, 07:53 PM
As sad as it is, Naomi doing that with a patient is actually one of the more accurate and truthful things they've shown on Private Practice.

Just because it happens in real life doesn't make it less deplorable.

ETA: Not to say that you were trying to excuse it. It just makes me very angry that this happens to real women.

pixie cut
05-13-2011, 10:03 PM
Just because it happens in real life doesn't make it less deplorable.

ETA: Not to say that you were trying to excuse it. It just makes me very angry that this happens to real women.

It is deplorable and I'm glad Addison completely told her off. Addison also made clear that she's doing her job despite her own personal feelings. All along she kept saying to the patient, "I'll do what you want." What I was saying is for once a ridiculous scene on PP was rooted in reality. So much of what they depict is outlandish and just TV fantasy. Sadly, this wasn't.

smurfy
05-14-2011, 01:59 AM
Grey's and Chief Resident - I do like how they are showing who is better for the job based on total skills/mgmt and not just surgical skills. I am thinking April will get it, especially after annoying ped dr highly recommended her. those 2 are going to get together.

PP: Last night was totally why they had done nothing for Betsy months ago. So glad Betsy is with Naomi. Violet is wearing me down. I really enjoy certain characters (Sam, Charlotte, Cooper, Sheldon), blah on a few (Pete, Addison) and Violet just annoys me. also Addison was much better on Grey's. But there are sometimes nice stories. I do enjoy how Charlotte has softened with Cooper. I think she will agree to have a baby eventually. Not sure what to think about Lil Shepherd. It is like they are not sure how to use her. At least they got her to be friends w Charlotte, someone other than Addison. Does Addison even realize Lil Shepherd (I am blanking on her name) is having issues, NO, it is all about Addison.
Also for last night's issue, I do like how they presented multiple sides. Preachy, but still interesting.

kimkom
05-14-2011, 04:10 AM
I get the feeling that Meredith has no interest in adopting that little girl.

BaileyCatts
05-14-2011, 04:30 AM
I know Grey's is only a TV show blah blah blah..... but exactly how old is a Chief Resident supposed to be in real life anyway? Just 2010 season, when the guy shot Derrick, remember how April started rambling personal details about herself to the shooter so he wouldn't shoot her, she said "I'm 28 years old". So if she is only 28 years old, maybe just turned 29, is that how old a Chief Resident normally is, because it sure doesn't seems like she has even been a doctor long enough to be a Chief Resident (isn't that like the head doctor of the entire medical staff? I really don't know). I mean to be a doctor, you still go to normal 4 years of college just like everyone else, don't you? So that makes you 22. And THEN you go to specific Medical School training? So that's what, 4 more years? That makes you 26. So after only 4 years of Medical School training, and 2 years working as a Doctor, you can be a Chief Resident? :confused:

Maybe I am not right about the education/training time, but to me it doesn't seem like April is even old enough to be a Chief Resident at 28-29 years old. Or any of those characters for that matter as they all seem to be about 28-29-30 years old (to me anyway). Or maybe I spend too much time thinking about things that don't matter cause its just a TV show. :P

smurfy
05-14-2011, 05:57 AM
BaileyCatts:
Med School 4 years; Intern 1 yr; Residency 2 or 3 years?
So if one grad college at 21 (late birthday, like me, in Dec) + 4+3 = 28.
I am a little fuzzy, not worked in a med school in ages, but April is probably about right.
Plus you never know, she could have skipped a year somewhere.

Kimkom - I agree that at first Mer was ambilvalent, was doing it for McDreamy. But I think the interview helped her. I think she was afraid she would not be good, since her own mother was not. by end of episode, I was thinking she was getting comfortable with idea.

sk8pics
05-14-2011, 02:44 PM
Speaking of clinical trial procedures, are they giving the control group an injection? Because I can't figure out why on EARTH they aren't conducting a double blind trial?

Yes, everyone gets a shot. But yeah, the docs shouldn't know who gets what.

pixie cut
05-14-2011, 02:52 PM
I know Grey's is only a TV show blah blah blah..... but exactly how old is a Chief Resident supposed to be in real life anyway?

On GA, quite a few of the residents have been a bit older. Meredith spent several years sleeping her way around Europe before coming home and going to med school. Cristina got a doctorate before going to med school. It took Izzie six years to finish college because she was waitressing to support herself. She modeled in med school to pay the bills. It's never been said if Alex is older. Callie decided to go to med school after being in the Peace Corps. April and Jackson are younger. College, then med school. Lexie is actually young because she skipped a grade in school. So a chief resident would tend to be around 29 or 30.

HeatherC
05-20-2011, 02:48 AM
I'm not totally surprised at who got Chief Resident (won't post it yet in case folks haven't seen that far yet), Alex is pretty darn stupid, I don't blame the Chief for reacting the way he did over the trial stuff, and I'm sitting here wondering why Cristina keeps getting pregnant so easily while Meredith & Derek couldn't conceive for anything. :huh:

These scenes of the people in the cafeteria are making me cry. :(

Jimena
05-20-2011, 03:57 AM
I'm not totally surprised at who got Chief Resident (won't post it yet in case folks haven't seen that far yet), Alex is pretty darn stupid, I don't blame the Chief for reacting the way he did over the trial stuff, and I'm sitting here wondering why Cristina keeps getting pregnant so easily while Meredith & Derek couldn't conceive for anything. :huh:

And with only one fallopian tube, too!

I liked it. I'm glad it wasn't a big episode like last year's shoot out (I couldn't suspend my disbelief over that one).

I think baby Zola is the cutest baby ever. She's gorgeous.

smurfy
05-20-2011, 04:09 AM
I liked the episode, low key compared to last year, but interesting.
I know what Mer did was wrong, but felt like Derrick's reaction was over the top. I like the Chief's reaction, he knows his part in it.
Loved that Alex got called out on ratting on Mer. She has been a true friend to him during the whole run of the show. And near the end when she was in the house and she expected him to be there - that was sad. Yes she told him to leave, but even with what he did, he is part of her family, and I thought it touching when she thought he would be there.
I do think Mer is warming up to the baby, and will be a good mom.
Jimena - yes the cutest baby!
McSteamy and Lil Grey are so not over. Feel bad for Jackson, just a nice guy, maybe one of those that is too nice. I like his and April's friendship.
I really felt for Owen. I never thought they belonged together, but how can one not want to have a baby with him! He would be a good dad. Interestingly I do think Christina may be right about herself, but maybe they never should have married.
Lots of things to look forward to next season.

HeatherC
05-20-2011, 04:13 AM
And with only one fallopian tube, too!

I liked it. I'm glad it wasn't a big episode like last year's shoot out (I couldn't suspend my disbelief over that one).

I think baby Zola is the cutest baby ever. She's gorgeous.

I'm glad it wasn't a big shoot em up episode too. Last year wore me out so I was ready for a calmer ep this year. I thought the ep overall was really great and it still left some loose ends for them to clean up next season.

I swear I read somewhere that the baby playing Zola is Ellen Pompeo's real life daughter. She's adorable! :)

Lara
05-20-2011, 05:46 AM
ITA with TG - the trial really should have been double blind, even if they weren't supposed to know till the envelope was opened in the OR.

Re. April's age - in most residencies, 29 would be about right. Most who start med school straight after college start at 22 and end at 26. Add 3 years and you get 29.

However, general surgery is a 5 year program so April would be young. And most chief residency positions are actually an extra year where the person stays on after graduation. My own program's currently an exception but there are two 3rd year co-chiefs. It'd be pretty impossible to complete final year and have all the chief resident responsibilities on your own. You have paperwork, making everyone's schedules (not an easy task!), organizing morning reports, etc.

But then I don't expect Grey's to be accurate in that regard when they have a peds surgeon instead of a dedicated neonatologist taking care of Sofia. Or a resident doing unassisted bronchoscopies. Or Addison the wonder woman who apparently did an OB Gyn residency with maternal-fetal fellowship, a gen surg residency with pediatric surgery fellowship, AND a peds residency with neonatal fellowship. :lol: I've learned to overlook these thing on Grey's!