PDA

View Full Version : But, It Was For My Mommy!" (Top Chef: Just Desserts)

Pages : [1] 2 3

DarrellH
09-23-2010, 09:43 PM
I have never seen anyone have a complete meltdown like they showed last night! Seth does not need to be in a kitchen with sharp knives.:watch:

skatesindreams
09-23-2010, 11:27 PM
I wondered why Seth was cast. He is so "troubled" that it's hard to see if he has any ability.
The other contestants shouldn't have to deal with his issues, in addition to the pressures of competing, themselves.

Aceon6
09-23-2010, 11:27 PM
We're having a bit of a discussion over at FORT. Something about his inability to switch gears and his social interactions is making me think he might be on the Asperger's continuum. If so, shame on the producers for casting him.

millyskate
09-23-2010, 11:34 PM
We're having a bit of a discussion over at FORT. Something about his inability to switch gears and his social interactions is making me think he might be on the Asperger's continuum. If so, shame on the producers for casting him.

ITA.

Was really sad about the elimination.

Matryeshka
10-14-2010, 03:37 AM
Just bumping this up--to :wuzrobbed that they FINALLY find a way to do a fashion challenge on Top Chef, and PR is on freaking Lifetime.

Why couldn't they have made edible clothing as a joint collaboration/challenge thingy between Top Chef and Project Runway when they were both on the same channel? Oh, the specials and the snarkiness that could have been had...with knives! Just imagine Marcel and Gretchen...:wuzrobbed :wuzrobbed

BigB08822
10-14-2010, 04:10 AM
I like this show but I have never seen such a cast of NUTS! People are forever having meltdowns, quitting, passing out from anxiety, getting kicked off, etc. I hope that next season they focus on casting for TALENT and not to bring in the drama.

LordCirque
10-14-2010, 04:47 AM
I call BS that Zac didn't win this challenge. His dress was more difficult and detailed and executed just as well as Morgans. And I'd be surprised if Morgan's was wearable like Zac's.

I also like the size and shapes of Zac's petit fours better than Morgans, as well as the flavors, but that's just a personal preference I guess. I thought Zac's were more technically demanding as well.

And yes Jayar, I can back up a technical opinion of pastry and chocolate technique. :-P

slicekw
10-14-2010, 05:18 AM
And yes Jayar, I can back up a technical opinion of pastry and chocolate technique. :-P

Yes, but do you look better than Jayar in an edible dress? :watch:

emason
10-14-2010, 01:32 PM
I call BS that Zac didn't win this challenge. His dress was more difficult and detailed and executed just as well as Morgans. And I'd be surprised if Morgan's was wearable like Zac's.

I also like the size and shapes of Zac's petit fours better than Morgans, as well as the flavors, but that's just a personal preference I guess. I thought Zac's were more technically demanding as well.

Looks are one thing, but were you actually there to taste anything? Zac may have had more interesting flavors on paper, but Morgan may have had better texture and pulled off his flavors better.

LordCirque
10-14-2010, 05:18 PM
That is entirely possible.

emason
10-14-2010, 09:46 PM
That is entirely possible.

I thought the top 3 were so far ahead of the others, actually, that I would have been OK no matter who won. Some of the also-rans were just WTF.

DarrellH
10-14-2010, 10:25 PM
I was laughing at Morgan and his (seemingly) intense shoe fetish.

LordCirque
10-14-2010, 10:33 PM
I do agree the Top 3 were close enough to justify the winners, but I thought that the execution and difficulty level of Zac's should have put him at a slight edge over the other two, and his petit fours did tie into the dress.

Reuven
10-14-2010, 11:18 PM
Mrs. Reuven tutored Zac for his bar mitzvah. He hasn’t changed, he always seems to be having a great time.

Matryeshka
10-14-2010, 11:19 PM
I like this show but I have never seen such a cast of NUTS! People are forever having meltdowns, quitting, passing out from anxiety, getting kicked off, etc. I hope that next season they focus on casting for TALENT and not to bring in the drama.

According to my sister, ALL pastry chefs are like that. :rofl: Of course, she's uber-snob savory chef, so she's biased. BTW, Seth was on an episode of Chopped, and he was definitely an arrogant asshat on that show too, but there was no indication that he was insane momma's boy, so I'm going to give the producers a pass on casting him. If he got through one network and had TV experience on his CV, then they probably didn't think, hmmm, maybe this guy will break down over grapefruit juice and plastic cups.

I like Morgan OK, but I think he's trying too hard to be the "straight guy" to the point of thou protest too much. He gets a little less attractive each time he opens his mouth, but he hasn't totally lost his appeal to me (yet).

Zac's also too much I think playing to a charicature, and Heather H. needs to get over herself. SHE wanted to do that damn sculpture, and she wanted to do it by herself. It's on tape. :P And it's not like Morgan decided who won; the judges did. He didn't personally cost her the win--she cost herself the win by focusing more on the sculpture than the dessert. I'm with her on the finding guys that refer to all girls as "honey" or "baby" annoying, but her reaction is still over the top and has less to do with her being genuinely offended and more to do with him winning again and her being on the bottom.