PDA

View Full Version : But, It Was For My Mommy!" (Top Chef: Just Desserts)

Pages : 1 2 [3]

Matryeshka
11-22-2010, 12:38 AM
Unfortunately I think a lot of these shows pull in ratings with "unlikeable"...as much as I usually hate the unlikeable characters, I will admit the shows can get dreadfully boring once they're voted off/cooked off/booted/eliminated/last to the bathmat.

I don't know--I think one of the highest-rated seasons of Top Chef was the third one where Hung won, and they got rid of the "characters" pretty quickly, and it was still one of the best because the level of the chefs on that season was so freaking high. The only person they had left at the end was Hung, and that wasn't even that much. Even his competitors lept to his defense after the show's run, saying Hung really was nicer than he was edited to be.

The problem with this show is that it's too narrow. I thought I'd want to see desserts being made week after week, but I really didn't. And none of them really made anything that I'd eat as a dessert--too much emphasis on what's in now, which is all things cutesy. Show me an apple pie, damnit. One without a damn herb in it.

If they do this show again, they need to widen the focus somehow, or every once in a while do a Top Chef with a team format with one savory chef and one pastry chef/baker competing together. This would actually be the perfect time of year to do something like that--something with a shorter run, starting in November with only eight teams.

emason
11-22-2010, 12:39 AM
Yigit was unlikeable???? :huh:

Everyone in that Go Diva clique was unlikeable. This does not mean I thought Morgan was likeable; I get the distaste for Morgan also. I wish Danielle had pulled out the win.

Nomad
11-22-2010, 04:06 AM
Well, I can't agree that Team Diva was unlikable. Yiğit, Zac, and Co. had nothing on Mega-Macho-Morgan. His homophobia and chauvinism were just contemptible. Although I will give him credit for not being a sore loser.

Allen
11-22-2010, 06:25 AM
Well, I can't agree that Team Diva was unlikable. Yiğit, Zac, and Co. had nothing on Mega-Macho-Morgan. His homophobia and chauvinism were just contemptible. Although I will give him credit for not being a sore loser.

I was actually surprised at how well Morgan seemingly took the loss. Considering everything else he said on camera, I'm pretty sure he would have said nasty things about Yigit winning if he wanted to.

Maybe I'm unlikeable because I liked everyone on Team Diva :)

Nomad
11-22-2010, 06:52 AM
I was actually surprised at how well Morgan seemingly took the loss. Considering everything else he said on camera, I'm pretty sure he would have said nasty things about Yigit winning if he wanted to.

Maybe I'm unlikeable because I liked everyone on Team Diva :)

I guess Yiğit never "berated [sic]" Morgan "with show tunes and flamboyance". Although I don't remember Zac ever serenading the kitchen or loft with "You're the Top" or "I Enjoy Being a Girl".

DubbalinGirl
11-22-2010, 02:37 PM
Everyone in that Go Diva clique was unlikeable. This does not mean I thought Morgan was likeable; I get the distaste for Morgan also. I wish Danielle had pulled out the win.

Danielle annoyed me more than Morgan actually. The odd contortions she'd put her face through when reacting to comments or events and her cartoon like character made me beg for her to go out about 6 episodes ago. She was just painful to watch. I could overlook a lot of Morgan for most of the season because initially I thought he was easy on the eyes. That got overwritten by his hellacious personality though.

I was actually surprised at how well Morgan seemingly took the loss.

I think he knew you can't argue with floppy souffles like that.

I liked Zac and Yigit...it was Heather I couldn't stand in Team Diva.

Allen
11-22-2010, 03:15 PM
I guess Yiğit never "berated [sic]" Morgan "with show tunes and flamboyance". Although I don't remember Zac ever serenading the kitchen or loft with "You're the Top" or "I Enjoy Being a Girl".

Morgan has that, I'm okay with it (being gay) as long as I don't have to deal with it or see it attitude. I'm gay and I found Zac a little annoying sometimes, but you're right it's not like he came out with a full medley of the collected work of Julie Andrews. And if he did, so what?

I think (and hope) that the way Morgan talked about Zac and treated Claduia Flemming will come back to haunt him.

LordCirque
11-22-2010, 04:33 PM
Team Diva were my 3 favorites and IMO, they were clearly the 3 best Pastry Chefs there, no that wasn't reflected in the final results, but when have reality shows every reflected the true best? It's happened but rare.

But then again, it was determined long ago I'm extremely unlikeable.