PDA

View Full Version : Arthritis Anyone?

missing
09-23-2010, 05:00 PM
Recently, I was diagnosed with moderate arthritis in my right knee, and my guess is I have the same in my left knee.

Eventually, I suppose I'll get new knees, but in the meantime (which could be a very long meantime), I'm searching for ways to deal with the occasional pain and regular discomfort (not to mention the personal embarrassment of hobbling around in public :().

Does anyone here have suggestions about the care and feeding of arthritic knees? Have any treatments, traditional or non, worked particularly well for you or someone you know?

I figure the more I learn and the more options I can explore, the better off I'll be. So thank you in advance for whatever you can tell me.

Kasey
09-23-2010, 07:09 PM
Not arthritis, but I have chronic bursitis in both knees. I have a home tens unit that I use when things really flare up....use it on each knee for about 20 minutes before bed, then go to bed with heat wraps on them (you can buy the ones in the store that stay warm for 6-8 hours while you sleep)....that usually really helps. I'm lucky, since I've started exercising more the last 6 months or so, the knees have actually gotten quite a bit better, instead of worse. (Oh yeah, and I've had acupuncture the last few weeks for a shoulder problem, which has realllllllly helped....but kinda pricey, and of course, not covered by insurance)

Good luck!

dbny
09-24-2010, 07:24 PM
There are various OTC medicated patches that might help. I've used Salonpas, which deliver a local and very low dose of aspirin. The thing I like about the patches is that you aren't dosing your whole body and are not affecting your digestive tract. There are also prescription NSAID patches that you could ask your doctor about.

Aceon6
09-24-2010, 09:48 PM
For an occasional flare up, I just try to stay warm and give myself plenty of time to loosen up in the morning. Also, I have to be careful about staying in the same position too long as I will "lock up" and have to go through a whole series of stretches to get going again. I find the ThremaCare Heat Wraps very effective in keeping warm. I have a pretty high pain tolerance, so an Advil usually works fine for me. On days when I get stabbing pain, I just take it a bit easy and try not to abuse my joints.

millyskate
09-24-2010, 09:48 PM
Rheumatoid athritis here.

Cortizone shots straight into the knee are the only thing that really does for me.
If not, floating around in a swimming pool helps forget the pain in a crisis.

Arthritis is a rather aggressive problem. I have found most of the "light" treatments to be of little or no effect. But comfort can be increased in times of pain with a very squishy mattress (none of that expensive "form adopting" type, just the completely mushy "sink into it" type"), heat or cold sprays, ice packs....

loopey
09-24-2010, 11:12 PM
The Dr. I work with recommends trying to wear the MBT shoes. They are bulky, but the built-in orthotic and the cushion does seem to help. He says DO NOT wear the Skechers and think you'll get the same effect.

Good Luck!

Aceon6
09-25-2010, 01:22 AM
Agree on the shoes. Find something that has a little give so you don't shock the knee with every step. The sport inner soles might help as well.

millyskate
09-25-2010, 03:53 PM
Good point about the shoes! It really helps to have flat shoes with shock absorbing soles.

Grannyfan
09-25-2010, 08:14 PM
My sister has arthritis, mostly in her hands at this point, and sees an arthritis doc. regularly. The meds she was prescribed in the beginning really did a number on her liver, so be sure to ask questions about any side effects of prescriptions you may be given. Then research them yourself. OTC meds, too. Her prescription was changed to something that's been around a long time, but I don't remember the name of it. She's had no further liver problems that we're aware of. I also have a friend with severe rheumatoid arthritis, and she takes something called methotrexate, I believe. Not sure of the spelling. She's taken it for years.

ice dance
09-25-2010, 11:12 PM
I have a no-good knee (don't think it is arthritis though), for which I take glucosamine if it gets really bad. One thing that has really helped is a Back On Track knee brace - it has kept me pain free since I got it in June. I didn't realise how much pain I was in until it went away. I've always heard good things about BOT, and I can definitely recommend their products.

Back on Track (http://www.backontrack.com/)

judiz
09-26-2010, 03:36 AM
I have bursitis in my hip and OA in my neck and spine. I am currently taking a muscle relaxant at night and I have a prescription strength NASID for when the pain gets very bad. I try not to do it too often, but I can get a cortisone shot to relieve the pain in my hip every six months or so. My doctor also started me on Cymbalta for my fibromayaglia and I found it has helped ease the pain in my neck and back as well.

Angelskates
09-26-2010, 04:02 AM
missing - my rheumatologist recommends hydrotherapy, warm baths, and massage therapy in addition to medication (this is for fibro, but had it turned out to be arthrits, he said the recommended treatments would have been the same.)