PDA

View Full Version : Yoga poses dangers to genuine Christian faith says Seminary president

Pages : [1] 2 3 4 5 6

pollyanna
09-22-2010, 11:36 PM
Yoga can be dangerous to Christians' faith, says Southern Baptist Seminary President (http://www.courier-journal.com/article/20100921/FEATURES10/309210079/1008/NEWS01/Yoga+can+be+dangerous+to+Christians++faith++says+L ouisville+s+Southern+Baptist+Seminary+President)

Yoga can be dangerous to Christians' faith, the president of Louisville's Southern Baptist Theological Seminary warns.

The popular discipline of meditation and stretching is so interwoven with Eastern mysticism that it is “at odds with the Christian understanding,” Southern Baptist Theological Seminary President Albert Mohler wrote on Monday on his blog.

“Christians are not called to empty the mind or to see the human body as a means of connecting to and coming to know the divine,” Mohler wrote. “Believers are called to meditate upon the Word of God — an external Word that comes to us by divine revelation — not to meditate by means of incomprehensible syllables.”

Yoga poses dangers to genuine Christian faith (http://content.usatoday.com/communities/Religion/post/2010/09/yoga-christian-mohler-palin/1)

Yoga Is Un-Christian (http://www.theatlanticwire.com/features/view/feature/Yoga-Is-Un-Christian-2130/)

Um, okay. :rolleyes:

PDilemma
09-22-2010, 11:40 PM
This isn't out of left field. I know someone who practices yoga as her religion, and constantly explains to people that it is the only path to God. She is now instructing yoga and running workshops on how to find God through yoga and opening "chakras". These ideas are contrary to Christianity as well as other faiths.

VALuvsMKwan
09-22-2010, 11:40 PM
To quote Dawn French as Catherine Spartacus Zeta Douglas Jones, "It's crrrazy, mahn!"

skatingfan5
09-22-2010, 11:57 PM
This isn't out of left field. I know someone who practices yoga as her religion, and constantly explains to people that it is the only path to God. She is now instructing yoga and running workshops on how to find God through yoga and opening "chakras". These ideas are contrary to Christianity as well as other faiths.And I know plenty of people who practice yoga with a focus mostly on body and mind -- and some who use it in their spiritual practice. I am very leery of anyone who professes that they know the only, one true path to knowing God, whatever their beliefs may be. It may be the ONLY path for them -- it doesn't necessarily follow that it is the path for everyone else.

ETA: My most recent experiences with yoga have been in churches. I guess they didn't get the message about what a danger they were exposing the participants to. :slinkaway

Allen
09-23-2010, 12:05 AM
Let me tell you something, when I'm in downward facing dog, there's nothing religious going on. Yoga makes me feel good physically and it makes me not quite so neurotic. I just wish these religious zealots would worry about their own souls and not about people doing yoga...

Kasey
09-23-2010, 12:16 AM
It's always seemed to me that the more secure one is in their OWN religion, the less they are disturbed by what anyone else is doing....

genevieve
09-23-2010, 12:21 AM
It's always seemed to me that the more secure one is in their OWN religion, the less they are disturbed by what anyone else is doing....
^^ this.

myhoneyhoney
09-23-2010, 12:26 AM

AMEN to that!

Dr.Siouxs
09-23-2010, 12:36 AM
I just wanted to point out that yoga refers to spiritual practice in general. There is a very false misconception that yoga necessarily includes asanas (http://www.google.com/imgres?imgurl=http://www.myyogaonline.com/yoga_poses/images/yoga_tree_pose_beach.jpg&imgrefurl=http://picsdigger.com/keyword/yoga%2520tree%2520pose/&usg=__3STFMhE5rPflmPk1E7UB9fd1ezY=&h=292&w=350&sz=37&hl=en&start=0&sig2=4hhErfFjdK05hbuijkwZ7A&zoom=1&tbnid=WnYVyyi9__CZ8M:&tbnh=156&tbnw=181&ei=uZKaTMeoLtD1OfWDnPIM&prev=/images%3Fq%3Dyoga%2Btree%26um%3D1%26hl%3Den%26safe %3Doff%26sa%3DN%26biw%3D1280%26bih%3D685%26tbs%3Di sch:1&um=1&itbs=1&iact=hc&vpx=531&vpy=303&dur=709&hovh=205&hovw=246&tx=165&ty=98&oei=uZKaTMeoLtD1OfWDnPIM&esq=1&page=1&ndsp=18&ved=1t:429,r:8,s:0)(body postures).

skatingfan5
09-23-2010, 12:48 AM
I just wanted to point out that yoga refers to spiritual practice in general. There is a very false misconception that yoga necessarily includes asanas (body postures).I think most in the U.S. and other Western countries are most familiar with the asanas of hatha yoga, with its controlled breathing and relaxation/meditation, so that is what the word "yoga" evokes for them.

Orable
09-23-2010, 01:04 AM
So true. I'll say it again: so EFFIN true!

AragornElessar
09-23-2010, 06:34 AM
Let me tell you something, when I'm in downward facing dog, there's nothing religious going on.

Oh how I hear you on that one!! When I'm in that pose there are only two things going on in my mind. One, how much longer till I can move into the next pose, and two, please fingers stop sliding on me!! :D

Yoga makes me feel good physically and it makes me not quite so neurotic. I just wish these religious zealots would worry about their own souls and not about people doing yoga...

I'm not neurotic, but I started Yoga about ten years ago (Eeeek!! Didn't realize it's been that long...) as a way to both do a form of exercise that wouldn't put much strain on my bad knees and also get into better shape than I was in. What I love now about Yoga is how calm and centered I am after doing my Practice. Not to mention how it's really helped w/my Blood Pressure too.

Here Here and AMEN!!!

Sally1214
09-23-2010, 06:57 AM
Oh, for Pete's sakes ... I've been practising yoga since I was 18 years old ... and, no, I'm not going to tell you how long ago THAT was ... but, suffice to say, it's been a CONSIDERABLE length of time. I practised yoga at 18 for the same reason I practise it today ... as a form of exercise which keeps me extremely flexible and in generally great shape.

I am a Christian and yoga has NOTHING to do with my religion. NOTHING!

I'm willing to bet that 90+ per cent of North Americans practising yoga are doing so for the physical health benefits and as a form of exercise. For them, it has NO connection with religion whatsoever.

Honestly, sometimes I'm just embarrassed by what some "Christians" try to make an issue of. Take care of your own house and stop trying to lay a guilt trip on the rest of us who are just trying to stay fit and healthy. It's just not that deep, folks.

Squibble
09-23-2010, 07:35 AM
Nonsense, Sally!

It starts with doing yoga "for the physical health benefits." Then it's eating arugula. And quinoa. And playing soccer. And meditating. And having an occasional glass of red wine. And studying the writings of Tagore, Krishnamurti, Rumi, and the Buddha.

Before you know it, society is going to health Hell in a handbasket.

It's time someone took a stand against stretching!

;)

Sally1214
09-23-2010, 08:19 AM
Nonsense, Sally!

It starts with doing yoga "for the physical health benefits." Then it's eating arugula. And quinoa. And playing soccer. And meditating. And having an occasional glass of red wine. And studying the writings of Tagore, Krishnamurti, Rumi, and the Buddha.

Before you know it, society is going to health Hell in a handbasket.

It's time someone took a stand against stretching!

;)

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Awwww, do you really think??? I mean ... I don't really want to get all stiff and all ..... but, if you say so ...