PDA

View Full Version : American Idol - Season 10 - New Menagerie

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 [8] 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27

Allskate
10-11-2010, 08:46 PM
I like David Cook both when he's doing slower songs and rocking out. I think the real factor on whether I like the new album will be the quality of the material and production and how they use his voice.

Here's a really good new interview with Casey:

http://www.associatedcontent.com/article/5871082/exclusive_casey_james_interview_part.html?cat=2

It's interesting that he says that he sang Bob Seger early on because, during Idol, Casey's voice reminded me of him. At least for now, it sounds like the label is embracing his idea of blending a variety of genres on his album. Personally, I hope it stays that way and it doesn't have much of a classic country sound. This quote from him defintely describes part of why I like his performance (at least his peformances off the show): "People who like me are the people who want to see someone get into the music."

This story about the reaction to Adam Lambert in Malaysia is so sad: http://abcnews.go.com/Entertainment/wireStory?id=11848543

I'm really glad that Adam is going there, but so sad that this is the response from some people. As bad as homophobia can get in the U.S., it's definitely worse in a lot of areas of the world. :(

PeterG
10-12-2010, 12:57 AM
This story about the reaction to Adam Lambert in Malaysia is so sad: http://abcnews.go.com/Entertainment/wireStory?id=11848543

I'm really glad that Adam is going there, but so sad that this is the response from some people. As bad as homophobia can get in the U.S., it's definitely worse in a lot of areas of the world. :(

An excerpt from the article linked above:

Foreign acts often draw protests from PAS, which since 2007 has campaigned against performances by singers including Beyonce, Rihanna, Gwen Stefani, Avril Lavigne and Mariah Carey.

So this group protests gays and females. Apparently straight males do no wrong...

:rolleyes:

Kruss
10-12-2010, 01:53 AM
Here's a really good new interview with Casey:

http://www.associatedcontent.com/article/5871082/exclusive_casey_james_interview_part.html?cat=2

Thanks for linking that. I am so excited to hear Casey's first album. :)

PrincessLeppard
10-12-2010, 01:58 AM
It's actually interesting how many of his fans prefer his harder rocker songs, angst when they heard softer stuff on his album, and yet defend every one of his songs regardless. LOL! Yes, Cook fans are an interesting breed. ;)

Never fear, I will not defend dreck like Avalanche at any time. :P

I've heard from :sekret: that his new album may be closer to what you like.
:respec:

I hope so, although I love the softer stuff as well.

As long as it's minimal. And sounds more like Fall Back into Me and less like The Truth. ;)

Kruss
10-12-2010, 02:10 AM

:respec:

As long as it's minimal. And sounds more like Fall Back into Me and less like The Truth. ;)

DRECK?? Oh boy, that's one of my favorites on the entire album. To hear it all stripped down, just him and his black Gibson playing it almost acoustically during the 1 year anniversary concert at Hammond...wow. It was gorgeous.

But I know it's not your cuppa. ;)

Allskate
10-12-2010, 02:37 AM

Bad Cookie fan! :lynch: But I agree with you. Even his voice doesn't sound that great on that song. It seems like the labels push these guys to go to the higher ends of their range. I hate that. Cook has a beautiful tone in the heart of his range and that's where he should be singing IMO. And, yeah, I also prefer Fall Back Into Me to The Truth. But at least there are no magic rainbows in any of those songs. :D

cailuj365
10-12-2010, 03:07 AM
So this group protests gays and females. Apparently straight males do no wrong...

Actually, this group has tried to prevent Pitbull and Akon from coming too, the latter of which because he takes off some of his clothes during his concert. They made Adam sign a contract saying that he wouldn't take off his clothes (highly unlikely anyway, he's way too fond of layers) and maintaining a distance of 25 feet between him and the stage. I suppose this is to prevent any spontaneous tongue-diving with lucky audience members. :shuffle: Pretty hard to do considering that the venue is a stadium and not a small club like it was in Providence.

And yet, I hear tickets are selling like hotcakes. :D I think there's definitely a disconnect between Adam's audience in these countries and the respective governments. Technically, you can get caned in Singapore for engaging in homosexual acts, but when Adam kissed his bassist for the Singapore show, many of the 30,000+ crowd erupted in cheers. :cool: Then again, Islam is the major religion in Malaysia whereas that is not the case in Singapore.

Adam responded to the situation on twitter. Here's a part of his response:
Does my show "promote the gay lifestyle"? It promotes living ANY lifestyle that includes the freedom to seek love and intimacy. Gay, straight, bi, young or old. It's all inclusive. I think this is what propelled him to change his twitter pic too to one that has NO H8 photoshopped on his cheek. Ironically, Adam Bouska has been asking Adam to get a NO H8 photo done for over a year.

While the USA is more free in some aspects, this country still has a lot of problems. Did you hear about the horrendous gay hate crime that happened in the Bronx last week? And the Republican candidate for NY governor who said brainwashing kids into believing homosexuality is not acceptable? Ugh, just ridiculous.
ETA: Oh, I also kind of love how ABC has posted an article about this group trying to prevent his performance in their country, when of course, ABC did pretty much the same to him after the AMAs. I know the difference is private concert vs. network television, but still, the underlying basis remains the same.

Malaysia hasn't been the only country that Adam's had problems with though. Philippines has been great at playing Adam's music, and his concert in Manila drew 18,0000 on Sunday even though ticket prices were ridiculously high. It wasn't until after the concert was over was it revealed that McDonald's Philippines (and I definitely think it's a cultural issue - McDonald's France had a wonderful commercial with a gay son and his father over the summer) was initially going to sponsor the concert but they pulled out because of Adam's sexuality. I mean, did they not know before? :rolleyes:

Kruss
10-12-2010, 04:00 AM
Bad Cookie fan! :lynch: But I agree with you. Even his voice doesn't sound that great on that song. It seems like the labels push these guys to go to the higher ends of their range. I hate that. Cook has a beautiful tone in the heart of his range and that's where he should be singing IMO. And, yeah, I also prefer Fall Back Into Me to The Truth. But at least there are no magic rainbows in any of those songs. :D

Then you may be surprised. David said the "highs will be higher and the lows lower" vocally in this next album. I for one am excited to hear what that's going to sound like, since I think he's got quite an impressive range.

Allskate
10-12-2010, 04:24 AM
Then you may be surprised. David said the "highs will be higher and the lows lower" vocally in this next album. I for one am excited to hear what that's going to sound like, since I think he's got quite an impressive range.

Are you sure he was speaking literally and not figuratively? I'd be bummed if he decided to sing a lot at the top of his range.

While the USA is more free in some aspects, this country still has a lot of problems. Did you hear about the horrendous gay hate crime that happened in the Bronx last week? And the Republican candidate for NY governor who said brainwashing kids into believing homosexuality is not acceptable? Ugh, just ridiculous.

Yes, and the Senator saying that gays should not be allowed to teach school and the recent filibuster of the repeal of Don't Ask Don't Tell, and on and on. That's why I said homophobia is bad here. But, it really is worse in a bunch of other countries.

cailuj365
10-12-2010, 04:54 AM
That's why I said homophobia is bad here. But, it really is worse in a bunch of other countries.

And yet thousands of people are coming to see him perform and in even greater numbers than most of his US cities! :) Gives me hope.

Anyway, we have an album release date for Lee and a general idea of when Crystal's is coming out. Do we know for Casey? Does the recent talk of Cook's new album mean that it's finally coming out soon? These long periods between albums make me anxious for Adam's next album date. He says spring/summer of next year, but given RCA's track record, that could mean spring/summer of 2012. Perhaps it will be better for RCA and Jive now since they won't have to deal with the promo and release of a new Idol alumni every fall.

Allskate
10-12-2010, 05:50 AM
Anyway, we have an album release date for Lee and a general idea of when Crystal's is coming out. Do we know for Casey? Does the recent talk of Cook's new album mean that it's finally coming out soon?

According to Amazon, Crystal's album is being released December 7. She'll miss the best part of holiday buying season, but still get in there before Christmas. She's still recording. I don't think it's clear when Cook or Kelly are releasing their albums. Casey's not releasing his album until at least next spring. I think they're still in the planning stages because he is just now moving to Nashville and has only talked about planned meetings with writers. It does sound like they've chosen band members, though, and the label lists him as the Casey James Band, not just Casey James. I think it's good that he'll be performing with people he's comfortable with because he seems to be at his best when he's most comfortable.

Adam is still touring and probably needs a little break. I hope he takes the time he needs to recharge and then put together a great album. Spring seems a bit soon to me.

cailuj365
10-12-2010, 06:09 AM
According to Amazon, Crystal's album is being released December 7. She'll miss the best part of holiday buying season, but still get in there before Christmas. She's still recording. I don't think it's clear when Cook or Kelly are releasing their albums. Casey's not releasing his album until at least next spring. I think they're still in the planning stages because he is just now moving to Nashville and has only talked about planned meetings with writers. It does sound like they've chosen band members, though, and the label lists him as the Casey James Band, not just Casey James. I think it's good that he'll be performing with people he's comfortable with because he seems to be at his best when he's most comfortable.

Sounds good. Thanks!

Adam is still touring and probably needs a little break. I hope he takes the time he needs to recharge and then put together a great album. Spring seems a bit soon to me.

Ah, but going anyway for too long can mean career death in this business, especially, I think, for Idols. (See Archuleta, David.) If RCA were to release another single, I think it would give Adam more time to plan ahead without losing radio exposure, but I'm pretty sure there's not going to be another single, at least here in the States. Besides the current tour, I don't know what he has planned really. I doubt that he can get another album ready by the summer too though, and I agree that I would rather him put out a great album later than a mediocre one sooner.

PeterG
10-12-2010, 06:10 PM
Ah, but going anyway for too long can mean career death in this business, especially, I think, for Idols. (See Archuleta, David.)

Archuleta has released an album in 2008, 2009 and 2010. Cook has only one album since his AI days. So are you predicting a career death for Mr. Cook?

cailuj365
10-12-2010, 07:23 PM
Well, do I think Cook will open with the 280k+ sales he did with his first album? No. Do I think radio will be as receptive? No. Basically, I think coming off of AI gives you one successful era, and then it's sink or swim. But nothing is for sure until the music is released. If you have extremely good music, you have a better chance. If you have a Vh1 reality show, you have a better chance.

Archuleta's album sales are projected to be about 20-22k. Even with all the illegal downloading now, that's just not good. Cook has a much bigger fanbase than Archuleta, so I don't think it would go down that far.

Allskate
10-12-2010, 09:06 PM
I don't think Archie's sales problem has anything to do with waiting too long to release his album. It's not a big gap between albums. IMO, his problems have to do with him and the material on the album. That's why I think it would be better for Adam to take a couple more months and get the album right than rush it just to get it out sooner. He could debut a new single on Idol towards the end of the season and then release an album in the summer or fall.

I hope the delay with Cook's album is because they are focusing on getting good material. If he can performon Idol the week his album is released, that would be nice for him. But, even if his new album is better than his first album, the sales won't be as good. That's just the way it works. Music sales in general are down this year and he doesn't have the Idol bump. Really, though, he just needs to make an album that he likes and that will keep his career alive. I feel the same way about Lee, Crystal, and Casey. They have enough talent and musicianship that they can maintain careers even if they don't have big sales. Archie needs someone to write for him and perform with him. He can't just go out on the road with his guiart and friends/bandmates and make indie albums.